Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si TCV

Overheating super quick

Hey guys, I only just started here but it's been a little while since I was here last.
    Last time I was having a problem with a coolant leak, I pulled a whole bunch of shit out and replaced heater hoses and pipes and now there isn't a leak in site (i relation to coolant anyhow)

My problem now is that in about 3-5 minutes the temp guage goes right up, i was only test driving since I just fixed all the leaks yesterday and put everything back in. I got home and opened the bonnet, the only thing I really noticed out of the ordinary is there was some popping sound and the radiator hose going to the water pump inlet pipe vibrated with the pops, I waited and it stopped for a couple seconds but then the overflow reseviour started to steam up and start to spew a bit so I just turned it off.
    it was doing this on another test drive this morning, I assumed the overheating was just me overfilling the reseviour and coolant spewing over the engine so i drained a bit of the coolant and left it to cool before doing this test drive.

Friend suggested coolant temp sensor but since the coolant started to spew out again I'm not so sure. Anyone here know what's going on? I'm only new to the prelude scene but I really love it and would really appreciate some help =)
    I have a dead stock Si-TCV if it helps at all? =/

Thanks guys

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Radiator cap or
    Head gasket

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    Possible head gasket or blocked radiator

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS turbobo bro
    i had that problem. one new radiator cap later. i no longer have that problem

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    I'd be guessing Head Gasket, sounds like it's leaking combustion gas into a waterjacket and pressurizing the system-> Forcing all the water out the overflow. Could explain why you sprung a few leaks too.

I'd be trying my luck with a new radiator cap and/or a new radiator first though. Easy enough to do in your driveway (Just make sure you catch the coolant and dispose of it properly)
    Grip > Slip.

1989 Honda Prelude SI.4WS, Pheonix Red - SSV-135 / PR3LDE - Rust in Peace.
    1989 Honda Prelude SI.4WS, Polar White - PR3LDE - Rust in Peace.
    1987 Honda Prelude JDM SI.4WS - Granada Black - Work in progress.
    2002 Mitsubishi Lancer CE Coupe - Amethyst Black Pearl - Daily.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Last time my car does this is becuase wrong radiator cap after 20 mins drive the coolant boils and come out of resoirvor bottle

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si TCV
    any recomendations on where to go for the right radiator cap? would one come with a new radiator?

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si TCV
    Although I'm prepared to admit it could very possibly be the head gasket theres no harm in trying the cheaper fixes too =)

Generation
    Non Honda
    You could try a dealership, they might be able to get you a radiator cap...for a price...
    Best bet is probably Supercheap Auto, AutoPro, Repco, etc, just any parts store.

You'd have to check with the person selling the radiator if you take that route, as to whether or not they include the cap.
    Everything buffs out with the right amount of elbow grease

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Bursons

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Try your luck with the radiator cap, failing that, try doing a compression test.
    Once you've done the compression test, if there is a particular cylinder that is down on compression, do a cylinder leakage test. From this, you can work out what's happening.
    If the cylinder leakage test causes bubbles in your radiator, it's head gasket/head....

Best of luck to you.
    "Only when you're so close to death, can you feel so alive!"

1989 Prelude: Silver, auto - The daily buzz box
    1989 Prelude: Getting a makeover, and a rebuild - The project
    1994 Kawasaki ZZR600: +4 timing advance, custom paint, braided lines -2teeth on the front. - The Girlfriend.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si TCV
    Yeah, tried the radiator cap, not the problem apparently.
    I've found out that neither of the fans attached to my radiatior are working =/ they both operate when attached directly to power but they aren't getting anything otherwise.

I got home from work just then, it seems to run perfectly fine as long as a decent amount of air is getting to it (Drive home is mostly 80-100) The limp part where I barely get over 50 is when it started to heat up. I got home and it was steaming, when I opened the bonnet there was power steering fluid dropping onto the exhaust heat shield and the block which was causing the steam, thought stuff it and hosed off the P/S fluid and then checked the temp, it went way back down. Could it just be the power steering leak + no fans combo?

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Ahh.... Fans not working can certainly cause overheating.... I had the same problem a week ago, interestingly enough however, I had been driving the car without thermos for 3 months without it ever overheating, until one fateful 30degree day, stuck in the KFC drive through. Luckily for me, my issue was simply due to some genius previous owner, who had disconnected the thermo fans and attached a set of fog lights.... He then couldn't work out why the fog lights wouldn't work. -__-

Unfortunately, seems like you have a slightly bigger issue... Start with the basics, fuses, inspect the wires, check for continuity in your wires, check for continuity between the possitive wire and ground... Etc.

Also, try pulling the radiator out and flushing it with a garden hose...

Good luck!
    "Only when you're so close to death, can you feel so alive!"

1989 Prelude: Silver, auto - The daily buzz box
    1989 Prelude: Getting a makeover, and a rebuild - The project
    1994 Kawasaki ZZR600: +4 timing advance, custom paint, braided lines -2teeth on the front. - The Girlfriend.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si TCV
    soooooooooooooo.... When doing repairs to the main coolant pipe, my friend decided to help out while we were finishing up by filling us back up with coolant.... starting with the entire bottle of concentrated coolant to make 15 litres.... sigh... I flushed it out and now we're all good =D

God damn do I feel stupid. Thanks for everyones help

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    Great to hear it's sorted.