Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC

Cool DIY: How To fit Stock Rails To An Aftermarket Seat

Hey guys here's a quick write-up on how to modify stock seat rails to fit an aftermarket seat, in my case Recaro SR3 reps (i think).
    In no way am i a professional welder/fabricator and nor do i think my welds are great. They're ugly but functional.

So here's the stuff you'll need.

You'll Need:
    -A Hammer
    -Punch
    -Grinder
    -Welder(i used gasless MIG)
    -25mm Square Tube Steel
    -40mm x 3mm Flat Steel Bar Cut Into 4 90mm Sections
    -Angle Steel (Four small cuts - same size as the steel bar you use, I used 40mm and one 320mm cut which will sit on the bracket closest to the outside of the car - not pictured).
    -Drill Bits - The holes i needed were 9mm, so i used 2.5mm, 5mm and 9mm bits to gradually step it up
    -Hex Keys
    -10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm sockets

Step 1: Remove the stock rails from the stock seats

As shown above there will be 3 bolts that you'll need to remove to free the rail, there is the seatbelt holder bolt but i don't think that needs to be removed.
    Once removed, there will be 6 rivet type things that will need to be drilled out which are marked in blue. There will also be some spot welds which will need to be drilled out. You will also have to remove the seat adjuster arm (lets you move the seat back and forth).

Step 2: Weld the 320mm Angle Steel to rail that would sit closest to the door
    I didn't take photos of this step but its pretty self explanatory.
    Weld the Section of steel to the outside rail just after the stock mounting stud.

Step 3: Put the rails back in the car.
    As shown below, put the rails in the car and bolt them into position. Once in place weld a section of square tube onto the rail. This step will need to be done inside the car, i recommend getting a fireproof blanket so you don't burn anything. Weld the square tube around 2-3in away from the rear end of the sliding rail. I welded mine in the middle and had to remove it later to mount the adjuster arm. The Square tube is only used as a positioning guide.

Step 4: Weld on two of the small angle steel and also 2 of the steel bar sections.
    Measure the distance between the two mounting points for each side on your aftermarket seat. Mine were 280mm apart. Drill the holes you need (9mm for me) at 60mm from the base of the bar. You may need more, or less than that but i found that it gave me the best spacing between the seat and center console. Weld the steel bar to the angle steel and then weld the angle steel to the frame. Position the mounts such that when the rail is all the way forward the seat is still going to be at a reasonable position.

Step 5: Mount the rail back onto the seat and measure up for the other mounts.
    With the rails on the seat measure where the other two mounts need to go and weld them on.

]
    (excuse the colour, i'm in the process of dying them)

Step 6:Reattach the adjusting arm and bracket to the same position they were in on the stock setup.
    I didn't get any pictures of this, however its relatively straight forward. Do some tack welds to test and see if the adjuster works correctly, then weld it into position.

I had to remove the tube steel from the rails to access the stock adjustment mounts.

Step 7: Enjoy.

Again don't mind the colour i'm in the process of dying it.

Last edited by rossdoggah; 6th May 2017 at 03:07 AM.