Generation
    5th Gen

Just got P's - looking at one for my first car

Hey guys!

So after having a shitty experience on whirlpool with obnoxious nerds, I finally found the right place to come to.

Basically, just got my auto p's (congrats to me lol) and I really am digging the 01' vti'rs. Theres a really good one that I've seen that I'm going to go check out. It's got 95000k's with 12 years of service logs.

I just wanted to ask about reliability issues. Will the car give me a headache assuming im not a 8=D with it? I've heard stuff about 97-98 auto transmissions being terrible, I'm wondering if the 01 vti'rs have also had that negative factor attached to it?

Please tell me anything you guys know about it. Much appreiciated. I really want to get this car and I hope I won't have much to worry about

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTI-R
    Quote Originally Posted by ogloc1995 View Post
    Hey guys!

So after having a shitty experience on whirlpool with obnoxious nerds, I finally found the right place to come to.

Basically, just got my auto p's (congrats to me lol) and I really am digging the 01' vti'rs. Theres a really good one that I've seen that I'm going to go check out. It's got 95000k's with 12 years of service logs.

I just wanted to ask about reliability issues. Will the car give me a headache assuming im not a 8=D with it? I've heard stuff about 97-98 auto transmissions being terrible, I'm wondering if the 01 vti'rs have also had that negative factor attached to it?

Please tell me anything you guys know about it. Much appreiciated. I really want to get this car and I hope I won't have much to worry about
    Stay away from the auto 5g ludes. It's going to cause you to rebuild the transmission overtime lol ($1500) as for reliability, stick is the only way to go for 5th gens, otherwise go 4/3g for auto since the boxes were built better. Keep your oil services on time, check your levels every now and then especially if you love smashing vtec like I do haha! Use quality radiator fluid if you can and well, other than that, everything else should be sweet

Generation
    5th Gen
    Well i know everyone says auto box's in the 5g ludes are horrible my cousin owns a auto 5g lude and so far so good. As long as you just take care of it properly don't hit vtec 24/7 i'm pretty sure it will last fine.

Generation
    5th Gen
    ^^^ that does seem to be the case with auto boxes, really gota nurture them with regular oil changes at least if your gona drive in the same manner you would in a 5sp manual. Normally I'd suggest a manual in any case.

My experience with my old 5thgen Si as pretty good, reliability wasn't an issue tbh. I changed the oil and filter every 5k, with the inevitable top up in-between & and the engine was sweet. Make sure your ontop of your timing belt and water pump maintenance. If your buying a 5g or any car for that matter (I guess?) around 100k +or- its a good idea to get some proof of timing belt/water pump maintenance or get it checked to see if its overdue and GET IT DONE. I'm working on a vtir now, if I love it even more than the si il seriously consider importing a fresh type S or Sir S spec.. anw who knows

Road trips were great in the lude, lots of PA members agree that even with sports coil overs or lowered with larger rims, they're still very comfy and tolerant. Keeps the GF happy at least lol

So, If u really want auto I'd probably suggest an auto 4G. If u really want auto 5g i'd look for a low km clean 1 owner 5g or maybe a auto 5g with a recently rebuilt or replaced box.

Good luck !