Thread: First mods?

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC

First mods?

I just got my first car, a 98 Prelude VTi-R. It is in pretty good shape but I am wanting to increase performance and make it look better
    This is what I am thinking so far

1) Tinting back seat windows 15%
    2) CAT-Back Exhaust, Mainly for a nicer, deeper sound, but also a small bit of performance
    3) Fusion CA-CD850 / Sound system
    4) Cold air intake (Will this add much performance?)
    5) New rims and tires (If I can find them for cheaper than normal)
    6) Bumper lip?

If you have any ideas on the mods I haven't specified a certain part for please recommend it below

I have a small budget, and after most of these mods I think I'll be happy with the car visually. But I really would like it to be a little rocket.
    Since I will be on my L's and soon my P's I need all performance mods must be legal in QLD, but any ideas for cheap, but effective mods?

(I have thought about weight reduction, but it will still be a daily driver, so I cant remove much)

Thanks

P.s. Is it true auto's are significantly slower than their manual counterparts? I have a semi auto and I feel like my car doesn't pack a punch, like others say Preludes do
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 5th July 2016 at 12:36 PM.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    Rule no. 1 in the life of cars. Manual > Auto
    If you want to improve any Prelude, start with the handling. Decent tyres and a rear sway bar make the A to B more involved.

The Preludes are already reasonable performers. If you want them to go fast, wait till you are of your P's and buy a Subaroyotaissan..

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    I wish I had a manual, but in my experience finding low Km reliable Preludes that aren't thrashed AND manual was extremely hard.
    My tyres are nearly brand new, but I will think about a rear sway bar.

I'm not wanting track or drag like performance, I just want to be able to take off quickly and pack a small punch

Also what is with that a car is only good and the driver is only a car-guy if it is a manual?
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 5th July 2016 at 01:04 PM.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Judging from your first post your Prelude has some relatively high K's, it's possible a few ponies have leaked out over the years. First and foremost would be to ensure the maintenance is taken care of. Do you know when the timing belt was last done? Things like the water pump, CV's, bushings and a number of engine seals among other things are probably starting to show their age.

The auto transmission in Preludes is notoriously shite too, with so many K's it's probably not the happiest either. It could very well be slipping and having trouble shifting already which would kill your performance. The H22 is no slouch, in good condition they'll perform as well as a lot of the Subaroyotaissans out there. There isn't much extra power to be gained from one easily though, a decent header and exhaust is about all the bolt-on performance to be had. You already have a cold air intake from factory which is as good as any aftermarket one. Unless you want something shiny in the engine bay then it's just a waste of money. As Bob said, they respond well to suspension upgrades. Things like the stereo, tinted windows, lip kits etc. are just down to personal taste.
    Symmons Plains - 1:12.280