Generation
    4th Gen

M2F5 Gearbox fluid recommendations (300+kms)

Hi there i hate this to my first post in this section like a desperate newbie but the forums seems a bit dead and didn't want to waste everyone's times saying welcome . Well i have a M2F5 trans that's most likely done over 300,000 kms goes great just has one issue. When it's cold it's grinds 5th so i just don't use 5th till it reaches normal operating temp.

I want to change the fluid as this would be my cheap fix haha.With a box with such high km's do i use Honda MTF or some sort of market equivalent?.

Any info or advice would be great thanks in advance...

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    I'd suggest genuine Honda MTF. There are so many people that argue that anything but genuine will destroy the gearbox, I think for the cost it's not worth risking it. Nothing will do a better job of lubricating the gearbox than the genuine stuff, if an oil change doesn't make it less notchy then you might need a rebuild/new box. I just changed mine, bought 3x 1L bottles of MTF 06 for $18 each direct from Honda but only used 2. How much would you save by going elsewhere?
    Symmons Plains - 1:12.280

Generation
    4th Gen
    Quote Originally Posted by tassie_bb1 View Post
    I'd suggest genuine Honda MTF. There are so many people that argue that anything but genuine will destroy the gearbox, I think for the cost it's not worth risking it. Nothing will do a better job of lubricating the gearbox than the genuine stuff, if an oil change doesn't make it less notchy then you might need a rebuild/new box. I just changed mine, bought 3x 1L bottles of MTF 06 for $18 each direct from Honda but only used 2. How much would you save by going elsewhere?
    Sweet as was worried my box might be to old for Honda's MTF and would need some thing else. Il grab a couple of bottles tomorrow and a copper washer as well while I'm at it. Thanks again

Generation
    4th Gen
    Yeah i grabbed 2 bottles of MTF 06 and a crush washer cost $40 all up. Did the change today night and day difference goes in to all gears smoothly and 5th has no grinds crunches at all. Thou i still take it slow going in to 5th great value for money.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Nice work, pleased to hear the fluid change made things better.
    Symmons Plains - 1:12.280