Generation
    3rd Gen

Question Key cut based on VIN

Greetings my fellow Prelude aficionados!

Long story short, I'm locked out of my 'lude - keys are in it, sitting on the passenger seat. Since it is parked securely at home and I don't need it urgently, I am looking for a cheaper fix than calling a locksmith out.

A bit of googling tells suggests that one possibility is to go to a dealer and they can cut one using your VIN. However this report is from the US and about 5 years old now. I can't find anything about such a service being available from dealers in Aus. Anybody know if any Sydney metro dealers who might do this for our 25+ year old 3rd gens? Or at least be able to lookup the key code given the VIN which I can then take to a locksmith to get a key cut?

Alternatively, there's also a suggestion from Some Guy On An Internet Forum that there are "Master" Honda keys for pre-91 vehicles. Anybody know of someone with a set of these? Or are these really just a myth?

Thanks All!

Rhys

Edit: Removed links to get past new post restrictions.

Generation
    4th Gen
    I imagine they could but they would have to get the key from Honda Japan & that would likely take a few weeks. Best bet here is to contact Honda Spare Parts.

Not too sure on the Hondas but for Oz made cars over 25 years old its likely the locking pins would be worn and another key from the same model might fit.

Yeas ago me and 2 friends had HQ Monaros, my key fitted all 3 cars and started them.

Hows the glass in your car? If you wanted to get new front glass or re-do the seals front and/or rear that would be a way round this.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    There are many ways to break into a car, and it's legal if you own it. You'd probably be surprised (and a little disturbed) at how quickly a locksmith can get in to a locked car without damaging anything. I had a 1st gen I was constantly locking myself out of, one time they just picked the lock, another they put an inflatable wedge in the top of the door frame and moved it out enough to get a wire in and pull on the locking tab. Long story short, it'll probably be much cheaper than getting a spare from Honda. Just get a spare cut from the original when you get the old keys out.
    Symmons Plains - 1:12.280

Generation
    5th Gen
    ^^ 100% agree with Tassie_bb1, I've had to call the locksmiths numerous times because my car door would lock every time u close it. After a couple times I realised how easy they can get it unlocked, so I just copied what they did and made my own prying tools, wedges and wires to unlatch the lock from inside. Minimal damage if your careful enough, may need extra care when doing this with older cars as the paint may chip.

Another thing I've been told from a skyline owner is that you can bang the roof really hard and activate the emergency lock release, its supposed unlock the doors if the car gets rolled on its roof... but idk how much of that is true and how to do it properly.

Generation
    4th Gen
    After locking my keys in a car a few times I decided that from then on any car I own would have a spare key screwed into the wheel well or floorpan. I tried the magnetic boxes but lost both of them, probably because I didn't clean-up the area I stuck it to

Hard to get the screw out if you don't have a screwdriver though so I have something similar to this on my keyring/in my bumbag:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stainles...-/371475879963

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Leater interior
    mmm not that I'm a bad person..... but maybe I can help you.
    What area are you in.