Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTI-R

Exclamation HELP! VTEC and Electrical Issues, Stalling - Writeup

Basically decided to make a thread to diagnose my current issues and hopefully find a solution to the current issues I'm facing.

Long story short - I did a burnout, 15 mins after both Amplifiers that was installed by the previous owner started power surging - removed the RCA cables and that temporary fixed the issue, no sub-woofers for me Every issue followed after this.

VTEC and Electrical issues
    RPM gauge lags for some odd reason, vtec was not engaging - I'd be just about limit bashing on 2nd gear by the sounds of it and the revs would slowly be climbing past 5,000rpms. Other times the vtec would semi engage then it would cut out.

I removed the solenoid and cleaned it out, replacing every gasket seal and o-ring. Started the car up and gave it a warm up, it took 3-4 engages before I felt it kick in again 2nd gear (VTEC Success) .

2nd run testing it I hit 3rd gear trying to engage vtec and it would not budge! I'm hitting 120km/s 3rd, it isn't limit bashing and I'm just about 7,000rpms till I shift into 4th and then it climbs. On the way back the car stalled for some odd reason whilst having my foot on the clutch going 20km/s. Upon parking the car and letting it idol, it sounded like the engine was choking and dying then it rent back to it's usual idling sound. The car idols around 800-1000rpms but drops to 500 when it is about to stall. Every now and then my oil light will show, especially on tight turns and random times where I'm at a complete stop. I checked the levels and they're fine.

Stalling issue
    Car stalls randomly and i hear a licking noise and can feel it every time I accelerate slightly. This only happened after running the above tests 20 minutes later. I went to do a oil flush and buy some oils but the car stalled half way there and is a safety hazard so I drove home before it stalled again another 3-4 times lol.

Edit: Sounds like an engine knock, when i pull the throttle cable, could be one of the cylinders.

Video of the issue

It's a BB6 H22-Z1 5th Gen

edit: Solution - Going to rebuild the engine. ughh
    Last edited by Zane; 19th January 2016 at 10:23 PM.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTi-R
    What was the problem mate?
    Lived The Prelude Life 13/11/13 - 15/09/15
    1998 Prelude VTi-R - Supermarine Blue B-84
    H22A4, 5pd - Basic 'I wanna hear my VTEC' Modifications

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTI-R
    Quote Originally Posted by Squalled_ View Post
    What was the problem mate?
    I believe I have a knock so I'm looking for a h22a4 replacement. I still have idol issues and all - including my car stalling every 30 seconds now so it isn't drivable even with the knock (engine also only has 198,000ks on it but I guess thrashing it daily takes it tolls on these blocks and heads?) but I hope after a clean engine swap It should null out any issues. Otherwise the issues in my video are still "unknown".

I re-posted my original post/issue anyhow if you'd like to have a read
    Last edited by Zane; 19th January 2016 at 10:23 PM.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTI-R
    Do you have plans on boosting the motor after you're off your P's?

If you're rebuilding and plan on boosting, I would say have the motor forged - given you have extra money. Prep the motor and all..

That's just my opinion.

As for engine swaps, I did see a few Prelude's wrecked/motors for sale on Gumtree and other websites, so maybe have a look on there. You may find what you're after bud
    1997 Honda Prelude BB6 - Taffeta White NH - 578
    "I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me. Your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book."
    Moog, Mighty Car Mods.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTI-R
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    Do you have plans on boosting the motor after you're off your P's?

If you're rebuilding and plan on boosting, I would say have the motor forged - given you have extra money. Prep the motor and all..

That's just my opinion.

As for engine swaps, I did see a few Prelude's wrecked/motors for sale on Gumtree and other websites, so maybe have a look on there. You may find what you're after bud
    I do plan on running a boosted setup in future, but when I hit greens I'm going to run a forged N/A setup Fulls I plan on building up a 2jz Soarer/Supra. otherwise I've thought about a kswap too!