Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTi-R

Swapping engines.

Hey guys,

I have searched high and low for this but haven't found anything relevant to my enquiry. I have a '97 Prelude with a H22a4. It has 220,000 on it and leaks oil from everywhere. I was lucky enough to find a H22z1 for cheap with less km's and in better condition so I am gonna swap them and sell the a4 to a mate. I managed to get the ECU, wiring loom, ignition barrel and the key for it too just in case.

Now, I know that the ECU will need to be swapped but I am confused with the ignition barrel used to start the engine. As I understand the 5th gens have a built in immobiliser from factory and I have read mixed things saying the immobiliser is in the key and ignition and the ECU. And I have read things that says otherwise.

I just want someone who has done a 5th gen swap before to be straight with me. Do I need to change the ignition barrel too or can I use the original key and barrel on the new engine and ECU?

Thanks in advance.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTI-R
    Quote Originally Posted by ObsecureMeerkat View Post
    Hey guys,

I have searched high and low for this but haven't found anything relevant to my enquiry. I have a '97 Prelude with a H22a4. It has 220,000 on it and leaks oil from everywhere. I was lucky enough to find a H22z1 for cheap with less km's and in better condition so I am gonna swap them and sell the a4 to a mate. I managed to get the ECU, wiring loom, ignition barrel and the key for it too just in case.

Now, I know that the ECU will need to be swapped but I am confused with the ignition barrel used to start the engine. As I understand the 5th gens have a built in immobiliser from factory and I have read mixed things saying the immobiliser is in the key and ignition and the ECU. And I have read things that says otherwise.

I just want someone who has done a 5th gen swap before to be straight with me. Do I need to change the ignition barrel too or can I use the original key and barrel on the new engine and ECU?

Thanks in advance.
    I believe the h22a4 and z engine blocks are the exact same bud, should be able to do a straight swap and still use your old wiring/ecu/etc. To make life easier just give your mate the replacements ecu/etc. I'm doing the same thing but vice versa since one of my cylinders hate me in my h22z haha!

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    yep should be direct swapable
    ------------------------------------
    Winton : 1:48.2
    Sandown : 1:38.3