Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC

Air-Con compressor clutch pulley - anyone tried a removal or swapout?

Hi Guys

The story is that my 4G's compressor is worn and needs replacing. $2500 parts only - IF they can find one in Oz - BUT as usual Rockauto will sell me one for AUD $336 + freight. Trouble is - the USDM clutch pulleys have 5 grooves - and as Tassie pointed out to me the AUDM ones have 6 grooves.

So - my question = has anyone ever taken an A/C clutch off, to know if they'd be swappable that way??

Steve
    Eternity - the wrong thing to be wrong about.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    yeah you can swap pulley around not an issue from my experience

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean628 View Post
    yeah you can swap pulley around not an issue from my experience
    Thanks Sean. I take it that the pulley can be separated from the new unit (leaving the clutch behind on the new compressor) - then the old pulley just added to it??

Cheers

Steve

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    As far as I can tell, there is only one bolt that holds the front plate on, then there is a circlip that holds the pulley in place. The trick is holding the pulley still while trying to undo the bolt. There is a special tool you need to get the job done but I think they're fairly generic so any A/C capable mechanic should have one. If I am correct the electro magnet separates easily from the pulley so you should be able to use the new one with your old pulley still. Here is an exploded view of the compressor which might help visualise things:

The only question is how similar are the two pulleys going to be and are they a direct swap?
    Symmons Plains - 1:12.280

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC

Compressor stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by tassie_bb1 View Post
    As far as I can tell, there is only one bolt that holds the front plate on, then there is a circlip that holds the pulley in place. The trick is holding the pulley still while trying to undo the bolt. There is a special tool you need to get the job done but I think they're fairly generic so any A/C capable mechanic should have one. If I am correct the electro magnet separates easily from the pulley so you should be able to use the new one with your old pulley still. Here is an exploded view of the compressor which might help visualise things:

The only question is how similar are the two pulleys going to be and are they a direct swap?
    You're a legend as usual Tassie! Don't know where you get all this stuff?

Turns out the also legendary Rockauto may have the exact 6 groove compressor (under another part number). It was really hard to ID mine - and it was different to your brand of compressor Tas. Now - before I go and spend several hundred $$$ getting it from the US; I'll have to make sure its the exact one I have. Anyone that knows where the A/C compressors live will know just how hard they are to get a look at?

So I've bought a video camera/LED lead $22 on Ebay - so that I can poke it down into the dark depths and make sure that mine and Rock's are a matching pair!

Steve