Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC

Pricing on replacement for OEM rear struts?

Hi all

Firstly - apologies if this has been answered elsewhere? I have looked but cannot find anything that covers prices for alternates to OEM rear struts? The story is that I had the link kit and rear bushes fitted today - but the damn noise is still there. I took the mechanic for a drive and we opened the seat hatch into the boot - and while I was driving he said that he could see the strut top moving a bit.

So - I'm thinking of getting 2 x new struts. I usually use Rockauto - and the prices on there aren't too bad I guess; but I can't compare it with anything in Oz? Any search you do online, usually ends up with something along the lines of: Sorry - no results for your query.

Anyone know of a good strut replacement (with pricing)? Not going down the road of coilovers BTW.

Cheers

Steve
    Eternity - the wrong thing to be wrong about.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Maybe a dumb question, but if the mechanic could see the top of the strut moving then are you sure it's not just the bushing in the top mount that needs replacing?

Part #14 is two halves of a rubber bush with a metal sleeve down the middle. You can go OEM for around $25 a corner (or maybe less, check your local Honda parts) or Rockauto for a bit cheaper. There is not a lot of movement in the top mount to cause these to fail but on a 20+ year old car it's possible, it's the only bit that could explain movement in the top mount unless the whole mount is not bolted up properly. A busted shock is pretty noticeable, that corner of the car will tend to oscillate when you go over a bump (it'll keep bouncing rather than return to normal and stop). Push on each corner of the car and see what happens, if it wobbles like jelly (there's a joke in there somewhere) then you might need new shocks.

Since you are no doubt sick of replacing bits willy-nilly at this stage then is it worth taking it to a suspension shop (Pedders etc.) and getting them to take a look, they'll usually poke around for busted bushings etc. for a small fee or for free on the assumption they'll get some work out of it. There are a number of other bushings that could be causing a knocking sound from the rear.

If you find you're in the position you do need new shocks, try tirerack.com too. They have a number of OEM replacement options fairly cheap. You could pick up the top mount bushings and spring isolators for only a few bucks more while you're there. Depending on the shipping rates though this could soon add up and be an expensive outing though.
    Symmons Plains - 1:12.280

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC

4G Lude - blow by blow

Quote Originally Posted by tassie_bb1 View Post
    Maybe a dumb question, but if the mechanic could see the top of the strut moving then are you sure it's not just the bushing in the top mount that needs replacing?

Part #14 is two halves of a rubber bush with a metal sleeve down the middle. You can go OEM for around $25 a corner (or maybe less, check your local Honda parts) or Rockauto for a bit cheaper.
    Tas - you're a mine of information (as usual)! Where did you find that diagram you posted? The local Pedders franchise was bought by ABS - and on the basis of 2 x stupid/poor efforts on their part to fix or quote previous work on two cars - I refuse to use them ever again!

I do find myself avoiding lanes on sections of road that I know are bumpy - but this may just be the firmness of the 4G's ride? I'll do what you've suggested in checking the rear end. Let's see what that uncovers? Thanks - really appreciate your help!

Cheers

Steve
    Last edited by steve-gee; 22nd July 2015 at 01:11 PM.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC

Push on each corner of the car and see what happens, if it wobbles like jelly (there's a joke in there somewhere) then you might need new shocks.
    Pushing on the rear corners was just a very firm rear end; not sure if that's just standard for the type though - obviously they're not going to have a ride like a Statesman or a Cadillac? I may have to swallow my pride and go via the Pedders (ABS here) route.

Steve

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-gee View Post
    Pushing on the rear corners was just a very firm rear end; not sure if that's just standard for the type though - obviously they're not going to have a ride like a Statesman or a Cadillac? I may have to swallow my pride and go via the Pedders (ABS here) route.

Steve
    Nah man, if you don't trust the shop then don't deal with them. Do you have another choice nearby?

I got that diagram off Hondapartsnow.com, I use them for reference a bit for getting part numbers and the like but they won't ship to Aus directly.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Nah man, if you don't trust the shop then don't deal with them. Do you have another choice nearby?
    Yeah - just found a couple I didn't know existed. Trouble is my wife's just had a major operation and won't be driving for a month; so I may just have to sit tight for a bit. Pity - the noise is a pain in the bum (and the car's bum too)!

Steve

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    search for shock knock
    ------------------------------------
    Winton : 1:48.2
    Sandown : 1:38.3

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Wow, how have I never heard of this dreaded issue? Everything I found seems to be 5th gen specific but we have the same rear dampers so surely the problem exists with 4th gens too. I still have the stock top mounts on Tein dampers/springs but mine haven't had this problem yet. So yes, replacing the top mount bushings would fix this issue for a time but the "fix' called for in TSB 00-090 is to install a slightly shorter bushing collar. I wonder why everyone buys new collars or adds shims rather than just cutting down the old collars?? So to thread jack a little here, since my top mounts are apart is it worth me trimming down the collars just to be sure?

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC

Little bit shocked!

So yes, replacing the top mount bushings would fix this issue for a time but the "fix' called for in TSB 00-090 is to install a slightly shorter bushing collar. I wonder why everyone buys new collars or adds shims rather than just cutting down the old collars?? So to thread jack a little here, since my top mounts are apart is it worth me trimming down the collars just to be sure?
    Thanks 94vtirozguy! I had seen the "shock knock" term kicked about a bit - but had no idea if that's what I was experiencing or how to sus it out? I'll go back and look around for the fix. Meanwhile Tas, could you explain what you mean by trimming down the collars please?

Steve

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Sure, so see part #15 above, the proper Honda fix is to install a slightly shorter version of this collar in the middle of the bushings since it's the metal on metal of this collar hitting the top washer that causes shock knock. I already have mine out but I'm putting urethane bushings back in so I don't know if it's worth filing it down a couple of mm just to be sure.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Sure, so see part #15 above, the proper Honda fix is to install a slightly shorter version of this collar in the middle of the bushings since it's the metal on metal of this collar hitting the top washer that causes shock knock. I already have mine out but I'm putting urethane bushings back in so I don't know if it's worth filing it down a couple of mm just to be sure.
    I will order new shock bushings from Rockauto (maybe shocks too - they are just sooooo cheap). But what is the fix here - is it just to grind a few mm off a long end of each bushing?

Cheers

Steve

Generation
    3rd Gen
    I guess you could have chosen up the top install bushings and springtime isolators for only a few bucks more while you're there. Based on the delivery prices though this could soon add up and could be a costly trip though.
    Last edited by Samshaks; 29th October 2015 at 11:06 PM.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si-Vtec
    What did you do in the end Steve?
    I haven't come across may people having issues with stock struts but we all drive different roads at the end of the day.
    I seen some on Gumtree priced good recently if you still need em..

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC

Pain - in the ass!

Quote Originally Posted by Gregsir View Post
    What did you do in the end Steve?
    I haven't come across may people having issues with stock struts but we all drive different roads at the end of the day.
    I seen some on Gumtree priced good recently if you still need em..
    Hi Gregsir

I got a new pair of rear struts and top mounts - trouble is the noise is still there but has now moved to the LH rear. Damn annoying! Meanwhile - I've also had a headlight main beam retaining mount crack-off a small lug; so that the dopey metal clip Honda used won't sit there anymore! I've resorted to using Silastic to hold the H4 bulb in place!

I love my car - but owning a 21 year old is a real pain!

Steve

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si-Vtec
    Sure what what else would you be doing Steve
    These cars keep us busy!
    I do be lucky to get 1 month that i have nothing to do on the car.
    Right now i'm waiting to get the rear bumper and front lip resprayed,last month was a wheel refurb,month before that was the VSS and tailights replaced with clear ones resprayed in Ruby Red,next month is gearbox oil and engine oil and new pads and rubber upfront and thats just the list i'm sure of!
    Wouldn't have it any other way..
    Shame the noise is still there after all the effort,if it was upfront i'd be pointing it towards an engine mount,can't be much else back there causing it?