Generation
    3rd Gen

Question 3rd Gens - Future Classic or just scrapheap material?

Hi Luders!

I'm staring down the barrel of having to drop about $1.5k on various things (timing belt kit, rocker cover gasket, idle step motor rebuild, new thermo fan) to keep my old girl going and am struggling to justify dropping that kinda coin on a car worth maybe $2.5k. She's got quite a few rare features and is fairly original except for a 2" exhaust, but also has nearly 350k on the clock.

Anyhow, i know we're all pretty biased here. but realistically what's the chance of the 3rd Gen being a future classic? I guess what I'm asking is whether it is worth continuing to pour money in to these cars or not. Opinions?

Cheers, ickers

Generation
    Non Honda
    Doubt it will become a 'classic', lots produced and sold all over the world. Successful car, mainly purchased by middle aged people.

Already its 25 years old, the time where cars tend to move into the zone for being classic, yet not much is happening with them.

Cars that tend to become classics generally either didn't do well when new despite being good cars (hello Honda NSX), Sold in limited numbers or in limited countries, have racing heritage or captured a design moment unique to that time period.

For me the Preludes of all generations did none of those things, therefore will not become classic. They were good cars, sold in huge numbers all over the world, with a boxy design like pretty much everything from the 80's and had 4WS which was not unique to Honda. They may become a little more valuable as numbers diminish, but i don't think you'll see one rolling through auction looking for big money.

The question i would be asking myself, rather than if it will be a classic, is do you love it? Do you want to drive it? Do you wake up excited to drive it to wherever you're going? If not, then probably don't keep throwing money at a car that is probably now worth about $1500.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Leater interior
    Classic or not there just a great car to drive..
    can I suggest that you jump into a camry or a excel and go for a long drive,
    then do it in your prelude.... and you should have your answer LOL

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    Very little chance even if its a "classic" that it will be worth any more money.
    You are right to question if it's worth spending that sort of coin, but consider that all cars cost money to maintain.
    If you buy a newer car, you loose on depreciation.
    1.5k to keep a car running that you enjoy, may be less of an issue depending on your perspective.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Pretty much what everyone already summarised in their own words.... depends on how you feel about your car. Every car eventually goes through the stage where more expensive things need to be replaced/fixed. Buying a newer car just means that you won't have to do it for a longer period of time, and that itself is offset by the increased cost. Justifying spending money based on resale/depreciation is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum to doing it because you're passionate about your build.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    best car ever made!
    "You don't feel the speed, in a way. You just don't feel the speed. The car is so stable and so comfortable.. unless you look at the speed gauge you don't realise you're going that fast. This is a good compromise between the sporting side and the comfort side. As I said, I think it is a super, super car." - Ayrton Senna

It is in the top 25 japanese cars to keep according to Hemmings (http://www.hemmings.com/hsx/stories/...feature15.html) but $1500 seems like a bit. If you had room I would store it away and buy a 5th gen for 3 grand

BRING BACK THE FORUMS!

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Thanks for your thoughts gents.

Personally I'd have thought being the only mass produced mechanical 4WS steering system might have helped nudge the 3G in to kinda-classic territory. But as people have pointed out, they really were quite common and nothing much is happening price wise as they reach the quarter of a century in age, so I guess I'll let that fanciful notion die. Not that I was expecting mega-dollars for these cars like some can pull!

I guess I'll spend the money. I do still love to drive my 'lude, have done so since I bought it nearly 18 years ago with only 120k on the clock. Just wish I had the skills (plus time and space for that matter) to look after it more myself - finding mechanics willing to look after such an old car properly is getting difficult.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTiR
    Quote Originally Posted by ickers View Post
    Hi Luders!

Anyhow, i know we're all pretty biased here. but realistically what's the chance of the 3rd Gen being a future classic? I guess what I'm asking is whether it is worth continuing to pour money in to these cars or not. Opinions?

Cheers, ickers
    1) There are very very few cars which maintain their value - if that's also what you're getting at.

2) There are also some cars which won't depreciate any more (besides sh!tboxes) - which can be different thing altogether.

3) And there are even fewer cars whose values continue to climb.

If you're interested "ickers", some of us here can give examples of favourites that we follow.

Best Shape Award = 4th Gen Prelude + Best Bang For Your Buck Award = R34 GT-R N1

Wow 18 years! If you want I can sort out most of that stuff for cheaper if you are not too far. Have you tried Hannys for pricing?

BRING BACK THE FORUMS!