Generation
    Non Honda

Formula 1 future

For anyone with a passing interest in Formula 1, these last few weeks have been somewhat concerning for the future of the sport.

Just today it was announced that Marussia had finally gone under, and will not be returning to the grid with 200 odd staff being shown the door. Caterham are very close behind, also in administration and turning to supporters to donate to the team to keep them afloat for the remainder of the season. It looks highly doubtful that they will return next year, let alone stay for the rest of this season. Rumors are also rife that Sauber is in some trouble financially, with the added burden of taking in two new drivers for next season while one of the current pair still hods a vaild contract to drive for them for 2015. Almost certainly they will have to make a payout to their driver to get him to release them from the contract he holds.

How did it get to this is the question. Quite simply Bernie Ecclestone has driven the sport into the ground, turning it from racing into a year round circus with the sole aim of generating revenue for the investors. Some time ago there was a similar situation, whereby the big teams like McLaren, Ferrari were spending an obscene amount of money to win, while the small teams at the back of the grid were spending a tiny fraction of that. Obviously in a sport where it costs millions of pounds to find fractions of seconds over a single lap, these smaller teams could never hope the be competitive.

In the not too distant past there was a budget cap introduced to combat this problem, and we saw the likes of Sauber, Force India, Torro Rosso all step up from being the back-markers into being just outside the top 10 and capable of surprising a few of the bigger teams. Bernie however scrapped the scheme and we are back where we were. Bernie even wants to get rid of the smaller teams to make way for the big teams to run 3 car garages. He is senile and running the sport into the ground.

This is what each team was paid last season for their final result in the 2013 championship. It's not quite as simple as where they finish in a given season, rather how they have performed over the last 3, but it shows you how different the playing filed is for the big teams vs the small ones and why Marussia and Caterham are in so much trouble. Ferrari also earn their own percentage for being the oldest and most prestigious team in F1 over and above the others.

Red Bull (101.5m)
    Mercedes (91m)
    Ferrari (80.5m)
    Lotus (73.5m)
    McLaren (70m)
    Force india (66.5m)
    Sauber (59.5m)
    Torro Rosso (56m)
    Williams (52.5m)
    Marussia (14m)
    Caterham (35m)

As you can see Caterham took just half of what McLaren did, and just a third of champions Red Bull. Marussia can't possibly have broken even with just 14m for their efforts.

If Bernie isn't removed from power in F1, i think we could well see it fall from being the pinnacle of engineering and become nothing more exciting than Nascar.

I'm a huge F1 fan, but if it keeps going like this i'll loose my interest soon.

Hopefully this explains why the sport is in the shit at the moment for anyone who doesn't follow it as closely as i do, if i was HAAS who are planning to join in 2016 i'd be withdrawing my entry as soon as possible. The playing field is most certainly not even.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    The shear scale of the facilities that support such a few cars every year to entertain us still blows my mind.
    Add to that the money siphoned out via TV rights etc and Bernies cut.
    It's not a game for the financially challenged.

It might be a viable option for the smaller teams to purchase cars from the major teams, rather than having to invest in their own R&D.

Generation
    Non Honda
    I think that may have to be the way Bob, how Red Bull use Torro Rosso as a feeder team for their drivers and in return give them tech and data from the Red Bull cars. Even Force India with a Billionaire owner and an enormous company, Sahara, backing them still took a good 5 years to get to being a middle range team. I think 3 car teams is a mistake, the smaller teams add the spice, otherwise it will just be 3 red bulls dominating, or 3 Mercedes this year. Not really interested in watching that.

Also let's not forget that teams like Ferrari and McLaren have many revenue streams, from road cars to technical. McLaren even build all the ECU's for every car on the grid. Caterham is not owned by the car company, purely has the rights to use the name so they are heavily reliant on sponsorship to race and not many sponsors want their name on a car that gets its coverage being lapped or crashing.

Something needs to change, whether it be bring back a budget cap, or drop some races from the calender to reduce travel and logistic costs for teams. Already it must be bloody hard to get cars turned around from one race to the next when they are 2 weeks apart, let alone back to back.
    Last edited by ego; 9th November 2014 at 10:12 AM.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTiR
    www.carthrottle.com has the sound as well as pic of the 2015 Honda V6 Turbo F1 coming out of its shed > pit lane.
    Nice!

Best Shape Award = 4th Gen Prelude + Best Bang For Your Buck Award = R34 GT-R N1

Generation
    Non Honda
    It sounds fantastic compared to this year's cars for sure. Unfortunately it's been plagued by problems, on the first day if didn't leave the garage for the first few hours and then stopped on track. Managed a total of 3 untimed laps. Second day only got out of the garage with an hour to go and only did 2 untimed laps
    Last edited by ego; 29th November 2014 at 06:57 AM.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTiR
    Oh dear!

Best Shape Award = 4th Gen Prelude + Best Bang For Your Buck Award = R34 GT-R N1

Generation
    Non Honda
    To put it in perspective Mercedes did 114 laps on the first day alone. I know it's not apples to apples comparison since Mercedes are using this year's car, but they got a heap more tyre data and seat time for their driver than McLaren did