Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws

Oil sandwich plate opinion

Hey guys,

Just purchased a Greddy/Grex thermostat sandwich plate, ready for adding an oil cooler to my turbo lude. Just wanted to see what people thought of the oil flow through?

Have a look at this pic I took. It's a nice bit of kit, but to the right of the image that hole drilled in the housing is what I'm talking about:

That hole is the only way for the oil to pass through into the oil filter before returning through the centre when the thermostat is closed. Is it just me or is that a bit small?! I mean people use these a lot even on race cars so it can't be that bad. Just curious to see what people think about that wee sized hole for flow to the oil filter!

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    Withe the thermostat closed there should be no flow through the cooler. As it opens it should allow partial flow to the cooler.
    So to answer the question, it's not likely to see full pass of all the oil.

Not sure why you need it though. I've not seen excessive oil temps on mine even on a hot track session. The stock cooler should do the job without all the extra gear under the hood.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Sorry, I'm referring to the oil passing through the filter. With the thermostat closed the oil Won't touch the cooler. But even then there's only that one hole to allow into the filter section. The rest of the sandwich plate is sealed. I'll try and get some better pics.

I see 110c oil temps in summer unfortunately . Even with a replaced radiator and water pump and I haven't taken it out on a 40+c day. It's Just for peace of mind I guess!

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    I looked at these a while back, I don't like the thermostatic sandwich plates as they don't allow any flow through the filter until oil temps get up there. If/when I ever set up an oil cooler I'm thinking I'll use an oil filter relocation kit and put the filter in series with the oil cooler so that the oil HAS to flow through both, this seems to be how most people do it. Then I guess you have to worry about running the oil cold for too long on startup but I think you can get bypass thermostats (something like the Mocal AOT2) where the oil flows only through the filter when it's cold, then adds in the cooler loop when it warms up. Not many people bother going to this extent though.

As Bob said though, 'ludes have a stock oil cooler which runs off the radiator coolant. In most cases this is sufficient to keep oil temps down even with a turbro.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws

That little hole does actually run all the way through, even when the thermostat is closed. So there will be flow to the filter at all times, even when the cooler loop isn't in operation. Just curious if that's enough flow. Obviously when the cooler loop opens up there will be tons of flow to the filter.

Where does the oil flow after the filter when returning through the centre hole?

edit: Stupid photobucket, both pics are supposed to have red circles!
    Last edited by lorby; 9th October 2014 at 07:00 PM.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    The oil coming back through the center hole feeds the engine.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Well that's not ideal! Blocking that tiny pea sized hole would starve my entire engine of oil! Exciting times!