Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Project R

Generation
    Non Honda
    This was a proper bastard of a job as you can see, but completely worth it. Definitely a 2 person job if you are not used to this kind stuff, and even if you are it would make life a lot easier for sure.

Next up, while we wait an unspecified amount of time for coilovers to arrive, is to complete our bushes and mounts refresh with the PU rear bushes, 4WS 'eliminator' bushes (just lessen the effect), and OEM gearbox and diff mounts. Once those and the coilovers are in, we'll have a 25 year old chassis and bod, but brand new suspension which is hugely exciting!

We also picked up an R Magic weighted gear knob for a steal, and have a set of R Magic seat rails for driver's seat for when we get around to upgrading the seat since the current driver's rail is completely rooted and won't slide the whole way back.
    Last edited by ego; 23rd September 2014 at 01:27 AM.

Generation
    Non Honda
    I am going overseas so it will be quiet for a while.

Today's update:

The good, the bad...

and the ugly

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    They are the coolest seats. Win.

Generation
    Non Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    They are the coolest seats. Win.
    Thanks Bob!
    We were very lucky to come across them. They are pretty rare.
    The guy who sold them to us was a champ.

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

Generation
    Non Honda
    Cheers Bob,

You can't see it in the photos, but the old drivers seat we had was collapsed and had a severe lean to the left, the rail was busted and would not slid more than about 50% of the way back, and the thread on one of the bolts was cross threaded pretty badly. From both an function and safety point of view new seats and rails were part want and part must do. We took the opportunity to re-tap the crossed thread we knew about and also found another we didn't know about. All in all worth the effort and money.

We considered RX8 seats, which were about $400 for a pair without rails, but these were the cost of rails extra and saved the time we would have spent modifying the rails, already having FC rails on them. Not to mention suiting the car better and being rather rare to boot.

Still got lots of parts here to fit, but that will be after I get back from Japan now.

Generation
    Non Honda
    Was going to wait until Ego got back to do this, but it was getting rather urgent. Been putting these off as I knew they would be a pain, but the sound from under the car was getting pretty bad. So yesterday I bit the bullet and got stuck into changing the gearbox mounts.

Surprisingly getting everything off was not too bad. Lining up everything at the end and getting it all to fit back in place was a nightmare.

To get started, I raised the front of the car onto axle stands and snuck my smaller jack underneath the car. I then put a small block of wood on top of it and used the jack to support the transmission.

A word of advice for anyone attempting this, if your gearbox mounts have collapsed like these ones had, use the jack to raise the transmission a bit higher to mimic the original position. If you don't it becomes difficult to line everything up with the new mounts.

On the FC, the mounts are connected to the gearbox sandwiched between two brackets. To remove the outer bracket you need to first take off some of the heat shielding around the exhaust. Fairly straightforward, just 5 10mm bolts in all.

Now you can get to all 4 bolts for the outside bracket. Before you remove them, remove the 2 nuts which attach the mounts to this bracket.

Once the outer bracket is off, you can clearly see the inner bracket and the gearbox mounts. The inner bracket is attached to the gearbox itself with another 4 bolts.

Once this is off the car the mounts can be easily swapped. As you can see in this case, the original mounts were completely shagged.

And here are the new mounts in place:

Now just put everything back where it came from and hope that you don't have any bolts leftover! As I mentioned, this bit is the tricky bit, so ensure that you allow sufficient time for getting everything back together properly.

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

Generation
    Non Honda
    Thanks mate, would have done it upon returning but the noise it was making was ungodly.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTiR
    Quote Originally Posted by ego View Post
    I am going overseas so it will be quiet for a while.

Today's update:

The good, the bad...

and the ugly

Hope you're comfortable?

Best Shape Award = 4th Gen Prelude + Best Bang For Your Buck Award = R34 GT-R N1

Generation
    Non Honda
    In the boot I wasn't, in the news seats I am fantastically comfortable, right now I'm am quite comfortable in my hotel in Kyoto watching the progress oft typhoon 19 towards Kyoto on the news

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTiR
    Don't do a selfie leaning into the wind unless you're sure you'll survive!

Best Shape Award = 4th Gen Prelude + Best Bang For Your Buck Award = R34 GT-R N1

Generation
    Non Honda
    Shit no! I feel sorry for the news reporters that keep being put outside in it to report on it!! Blowing a damn gale, cars floating down streets and waves clearing the beach walls. 'How are things in Atami?' Dude we can all see that shit's ****ed there, why ask the question?!

Generation
    Non Honda
    Things have been a bit quiet on the Project R front since i got back from Japan, I'm searching for a new job so time and effort is going into that.

We did however get offered a PanSpeed tuned factory ECU for the price of postage from Queesland which saved us about $700 over buying one new from japan. After plugging it in we took it for a drive, for a short time it worked well and huge increase from it, but it seems to either put the car into a limp mode, or our fuel cut defender is interfering. Anything more than about 1/4 throttle and the power dies. We are back to the original ECU and all is fine so no damage to the engine, just need to investigate this a little more on if its an ECU issue or if it is in fact the fuel cut defender getting confused with the new signals it's receiving.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4WS
    Weird that it ran right for a while then changed. Could be an unrelated issue with a failed sensor somewhere?

Generation
    Non Honda
    You could be spot on mate. After speaking to the rotary tuner in QLD who sent it to us, we may actually have a sensor issue and/ or a vacuum leak or boost creep issue. It's just a factory ECU tuned by PanSpeed so there won't be a map issue or incompatibility problem.

I think first we will do new vacuum lines and install a boost controller we got for free ages ago. That way we know what the boost is doing, and eliminate vacuum leaks at the same time. Just need to find time to do it now!

Generation
    Non Honda
    Hey all

I feel it necessary to properly inform you that Project R as you know it is over.

Sadly I have come to a point where I can no longer financially support the build from my end with what is required to get it running the way it should.

James will be taking over the car as his own entirely, and shouldering the burden of getting the car mechanically sorted.
    In the next few months it will be towed up to Queensland to have extensive work done, so the FC will continue on, but for now this is where the updates will end.

Thanks for following the project along, I had a lot of great times and learned heaps, but sometimes life forces other priorities into your path.

Peace out