Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Project R

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTiR
    I felt the same Tim a few years ago whilst inspecting a speed machine with my brother in law.
    There were certainly less moving parts as we searched for the (Olympic Class) Tornado Cat - lol

Best Shape Award = 4th Gen Prelude + Best Bang For Your Buck Award = R34 GT-R N1

Generation
    Non Honda
    We are both already loving working on the car! We've also ordered the oem shift boot from Japan since the one in there now is aftermarket and rooted. Hopefully that will arrive soon as the current one is just aweful.

We also want to make it clear that by doing it ourselves we aren't doing it for the props, we hope others car also be given the confidence to do it themselves and learn about their cars too.

Generation
    Non Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry_GT-R34 View Post
    Tim and James. It's a credit to you both to have jumped in at the deep end; but having made a salient but good purchase!
    Will you be joining an RX 7 club like RENEW etc for access to spares, advice and events?
    Don't forget us poor souls here at PA will you?
    Hehe...
    Hey Terry. Thanks mate. It is exactly as Tim says though. We want to show that anyone can do this. Just because you have never done something does not mean you cannot do it. The sense of satisfaction putting something back together and having it work is very addictive. It gives you a real buzz.

We will have to get in touch with RENEW as we have not done that yet. At the moment I post a lot on FDRX7 due to my previous FD ownership. We won't forget PA, that is where we started!

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

Generation
    Non Honda
    Busy day today...

We finished pulling out the head-unit and a ton of wires we no longer need. We are pulling out the whole sound system as we will not be using it. Only the speakers in the door are left now.

After we untangled ourselves from the wires, we pulled out the seats as we were looking at possible ways of modifying them to accommodate all 6'3" of Ego. Upon taking them out though, we discovered the carpet was in SERIOUS need of a clean.

We found, 2 pens, $15 worth of change, and amazingly 160 yen.

In the end it all went pretty well except that the thread for a seat bolt in the chassis has been stripped. Using an impact driver we have managed to get it tightened up, but it will probably need to be drilled out and retapped when we replace the seats.

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTiR
    Yen can be downpayment on...umm...
    Maccas soft serve?

Best Shape Award = 4th Gen Prelude + Best Bang For Your Buck Award = R34 GT-R N1

Generation
    Non Honda
    Haha I think even a spotty teenager can tell the differen e between a 10 cent piece and 100 yen.

I didn't take a before and after pic for the boot speaker and wire removal but I left all the trim as factory so it all looks standard just no speakers and a massive hole where the HU used to be so it looks like it's just rolled through the auctions in Japan now haha

So with all the sound system except door speakers out I guess it's lost about 10kg. Not noticeable but any improvement to fuel economy is appreciated!!
    Last edited by ego; 16th June 2014 at 12:07 AM.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Oh man, FCs make me so damn moist.

Mt Dandy's grey comet?
    Grip > Slip.

1989 Honda Prelude SI.4WS, Pheonix Red - SSV-135 / PR3LDE - Rust in Peace.
    1989 Honda Prelude SI.4WS, Polar White - PR3LDE - Rust in Peace.
    1987 Honda Prelude JDM SI.4WS - Granada Black - Work in progress.
    2002 Mitsubishi Lancer CE Coupe - Amethyst Black Pearl - Daily.

Generation
    Non Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommzor View Post
    Oh man, FCs make me so damn moist.

Mt Dandy's grey comet?
    Haha something like that.

Generation
    Non Honda
    Got a new windshield today. Almost ready for RWC.

Generation
    Non Honda
    Cheers Tom, might just see a grey blur in the mountains in the future once we have our way with it! Needs a fair bit before then though.

Last night we discovered a crack in the windscreen (yay) so today James got on the horn and managed not only to find a new screen for it, but got it fitted today and very cheaply.

He also made a few calls about a new wiper switch to fix our wiper issue (works on intermittent, doesn't on full) and after finding it costs about $1200 through Mazda he picked up some relays for us so we have some soldering ahead of us before the RWC which is booked for Thursday.

Finally he tells me he may have a solution to the seat drama i have, whereby we need to move the rails back, too but refuses to elaborate over the phone wait and see what the story there is.

Anyway more positive steps forward today that's the main thing!

Generation
    Non Honda
    Spoke to James about his seat solution, while the idea is sound unfortunately James has lost his mind.

Generation
    Non Honda
    But...

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    S
    The Recaro's are a must

Love what you're doing boys, looking forward to seeing progress as it comes!

Generation
    Non Honda
    Cheers mate, we will look at a cheaper way to do bucket seats as those Recaros are 2K per seat not with rails or installed so we would spend the same as the purchase price of the car on 2 seats installed.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Good luck with it all guys. There's nothing quite like the feeling of working on a car yourself, or the pride that goes with it actually running properly afterwards.

I should have a pick through my brother's garage, he's got a JDM series IV or V (I can't remember which but it looks exactly the same) which he probably has some bits to get rid of. I wonder if he'll ever achieve his dream and throw the 20B bridgeport he has sitting in his living room in it.

Go for the racing buckets, sounds like it could be a bit cheaper to go that way rather than trying to source some stockies. Just don't be one of THOSE people and put harnesses in without a cage. If you're planning on a proper race seat though, check out Velo. They're a south australian mob that make some pretty good racing bits a bit cheaper, they make a couple of seats that are both ADR and FIA approved too so they're good for street and track. Unfortunately they only do fixed back so they're not ideal if someone has to drive it alot. Otherwise there's always Cobra or Sparco in the well under $1k bracket but they're steel framed so they're pretty heavy. Anything from Autobarn will fall apart quickly and you'll soon find yourself with 100MPH tape holding the seams together. Have you guys considered throwing in some stock buckets out of another car like a rex or S2k... or a Prelude? You're probably looking at some custom rails in any case to get the extra leg and headroom needed.

Take your 160 yen to Japan, that'll buy like 3x maccas cones over there. The commute is a killer though.