Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Project R

Generation
    Non Honda

Project R

Ego & Velvet join forces....Coming soon....
    Last edited by ego; 11th June 2014 at 01:09 AM.

Generation
    Non Honda
    Hey all. If anyone came on the last Marysville cruise, you would probably recognise my previous white Rx7. Well, that had to go a while back unfortunately. On the bright side, Ego and I have a new project now:

The car is a JDM 1989 FC Rx7 Series 5 Turbo.

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

Generation
    Non Honda
    First work we did on the car was to remove the subwoofer and amp from the boot.

As it was getting dark we insulated the wires with electrical tape and will remove them along with the head-unit shortly. Check out the stained goodness!

If anyone is interested we will be selling these. The sub is a Pioneer unit, the amp is Cadence and the head-unit is an Alpine unit with iPod connectivity. We have not gone over the specs as yet.

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

Generation
    Non Honda
    Here's a quick video of the car. It has a mild port, exhaust, and Ego is manning the throttle.

Generation
    Non Honda
    So basically the idea was to get a cheap car that we could learn on and turn into a car we could drive on the street but also hit the track with.

We went and had a look at a couple of cars, this and an R32 GTS-T. We were also considering an S14 and 180 for the project project. When we saw this car we both realised that the project would have to change a bit as we saw that this car needed to be shown some TLC and not be thrown around a track every other weekend. Having said that i am sure it will do some track days though. The guy we dealt with was a perfect gentleman, he owned the car for 6 years and had come on some hard times and was moving interstate to start studying again. He was sad to part with the car but after we explained that we were infact going to be focusing more on bringing it back to life than smashing it around a track he was a lot happier and he looks forward to seeing what we do with it.

The good:
    Straight panels and original paint
    No sign of ever having been in an accident
    Fairly recent rebuild and manual conversion
    Original owners manual and service history including log book from Japan (we didn't realise that until we picked it up and he gave it to us)
    Has a mild port and exhaust already
    JDM Yellow fogs!

The bad:
    Paint fade on roof, spoiler and bonnet
    Both doors have dents and may need to be reskinned
    Needs belts done ASAP
    Driver's seat is torn and collapsed
    Dash trim around the gauges has broken clips and is coming up.
    Originality of km showing on odo is questionable.

First thing is first i'm off on a short holiday with my gf for her birthday for a couple of days then we'll get stuck into this. Keep in mind we will both be doing this with our spare time and money so it wont be a quick process but the more we looked at this car the more we saw we could do a fair bit quite cheaply to really get it back to its best.

Updates to come.
    Last edited by ego; 11th June 2014 at 01:52 PM.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    Brap!

Very cool guys.

Generation
    Non Honda
    We are really looking forward to it!!!

Generation
    Non Honda
    Quick update. Got a full set of belts ready to replace the existing ones on the 13B. First priority for this weekend!

Coming up. We will need to finish pulling out the existing sound system.
    Also, the driver's window switch needs rewiring as currently the switches are operating the wrong windows! Not a big deal, but rather confusing.

Generation
    Non Honda
    Good luck mate, if you don't finish it today i'll be there tomorrow anyway to remove the HU and rest of the wiring so i'll give you a hand if you get stuck.

Generation
    Non Honda
    James assures me the belts are done! That was the biggest concern we had really so good to get it done. Onto the fun stuff!

Generation
    Non Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by egotzm View Post
    James assures me the belts are done! That was the biggest concern we had really so good to get it done. Onto the fun stuff!
    Yep. All done.

Overall not too bad except for one or two inaccessible bolts and one of the belts needed to be swapped due to an error in the size of a Non-Mazda equivalent part. Had a drive and she is behaving well. Somehow I seem to have also inadvertently fixed an idling issue which was present when the car starts from cold! Happy days.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4WS
    Pop up headlights, dual exhaust, JDM - looks like you're on to a winner guys.

Keen to see how this goes...

Good luck!

Generation
    Non Honda
    Thanks snow!! For what we paid we couldn't have got much more car!

I just want to point out that neither James not I are mechanics nor ever lifted a spanner on any major engine or mechanical components so for anyone reading wondering about our experience levels it's zero before starting this.
    Last edited by ego; 15th June 2014 at 12:31 PM.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTiR
    Tim and James. It's a credit to you both to have jumped in at the deep end; but having made a salient but good purchase!
    Will you be joining an RX 7 club like RENEW etc for access to spares, advice and events?
    Don't forget us poor souls here at PA will you?
    Hehe...

Best Shape Award = 4th Gen Prelude + Best Bang For Your Buck Award = R34 GT-R N1

Generation
    Non Honda
    Thanks Terry!

We are both members on fdrx7.com as James used to own a Series 8 RZ number 187 IIRC, so he knows a bit about rotary engines which came in very handy when we were inspecting cars. I think he's on another forum but i forget the name. He did a lot of investigating behind the scenes about which shops did what work to the car and how to tell if the car matched the history, as well as how to tell a good one from a rubbish one engine wise since a rebuild on one of these can cost from 5-10K depending on if its a full or partial rebuild. I know nothing about rotary engines so that was very helpful to have his knowledge!

This is something we've talked about for years, wishing we had the know-how to work on our own cars, until quite recently when we both just sort of came to the conclusion that if we want the knowledge to do it, then how better than to just jump into it, albeit with James' knowledge of rotaries and a budget to hold us back a bit from buying the Mazdaspeed seats we found last night for $1200 haha.

So we'll cut our teeth on this car and see in the future as money allows if we add more cars to the Project R garage.

Next up:

Remove remaining sound system wiring and HU
    Fix fault with windscreen wipers we found last night.
    RWC!
    Adjust seat rails so i can fit in better.
    Fix dash panel that has warped with heat and age.
    Decide if we stay with original seats or put in racing bucket seats.
    Last edited by ego; 15th June 2014 at 12:36 PM.