Thread: M2k4 lsd

Generation
    4th Gen

M2k4 lsd

hi there ,
    i know that there are loads of transmission interchangable for preludes....

now my problem is that i want to fit an m2k4 on my h22 turbo set up for higher speeds on motorway as i live in germany with no speed limits on motorways.

befor i want to fit it i wanted to add an aftermarket lsd but im not sure if you can just fit it to a tranny which never had an lsd befor and just wanted to ask you guys if any1 ever has had any experiance in doing so ...

grettings

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Manual H22A
    Taken from http://www.preludeonline.com/f89/ape...uctions-21604/

I did the Quaife install in my garage, along with an Exedy clutch and Fidanza flywheel.

It's definitely NOT plug and play. I suppose you could just drop the Quaife in there, but it it's like mine, the preload will be WAAAAY off. The problem is that the preload is quite essential to the diff. bearings. If the preload is off, you will toast the bearings.

Okay, here is a quick outline with some notes:

1. remove the tranny - easy, just don't use a tranny jack unless you can get the chassis up HIGH in the air. We lowered it by hand.

2. take the tranny apart - easy, don't forget to replace all of the crush washers and the locking washer when reassembling the tranny

3. remove the countershaft, mainshaft, and shift forks - this is a good time to inspect all the synchros and shift forks!

4. remove the stock differntial - easy

5. remove the stock final drive gear - medium, it's not hard if you have a huge ass vise to hold the gear in. The final drive gear bolts are torqued to over 70 lb*ft. I had to hold the final drive gear between two pieces of wood and remove the bolts, it was a big PITA.

6. remove the stock speedo gear ring - PITA. We had to heat the gear ring with a torch to get it to expand some and still had trouble getting it off with a big ass gear puller.

7. install new bearings on the Quaife - easy

8. install the speedo gear ring on the Quaife - easy

9. install bearing races in the tranny housing and clutch housing - easy, but make sure you know what size shim you are using.

10. check diff. preload - easy, but I had to make a tool to check preload, you will also need a torque wrench that goes down to 10 in*lbs.

11. if the preload is wrong, look at the chart in the Helm's manual, and calculate which shim should be used - easy, but the Honda manual was off. I ended up ordering 3 shims before I got the preload exactly where I wanted it. - easy

12. reinstall the countershaft, mainshaft, and shift forks. - easy

13. put the tranny back together - easy

14. reinstall the tranny - easy

Now, here is some important stuff. You will need lots of special tools unless you already have a set of bearing drivers and a clutch alignment tool. I spent over $200 in special Honda tools, but that's still better than paying someone to install the LSD for me.

I ended up replacing all of the bolts that hold the tranny housing to the clutch housing. I had two bolts stretch, so I just replaced all of them.

Make sure that you do a dry run through all of the gears before you install the tranny.

It's not that bad, but it takes time, and you need the right tools to do it right.

Generation
    4th Gen

thanks for the quick reply but i suppose you didnt read my question fully ..... as the transmission m2k4 that i am fitting doesnt have an oem diff that i could change my question was or is does the bell housing of the named differential be able to hold a aftermarket diff ???

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    that's how u do it

Generation
    4th Gen
    thx sean for your reply i know how to change the diff,,,,,,,,, now the problem that i have .... is not how to fit it,,,, but does the bell housing of the bb2 prelude transmission m2k4 be able to accommadate an aftermarket lsd ... as for it does not have one as delivered from honda in oem condition.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    oem lsd box housing is different from non-lsd box, aftermarket is the way to go.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Quote Originally Posted by antlantis View Post
    ... but does the bell housing of the bb2 prelude transmission m2k4 be able to accommadate an aftermarket lsd ...
    Yes.

The only time you would have to be concerned with different bell housings if if you had ATTS, which the M2K4 wasn't used with. ATTS is a 5G option

The M2K4 was used here (AUDM) for the Si +Si SRS ( 4WS + airbag) and in the EUDM for the 2.3i (both 4WS and standard versions) from 92-96.

Both are identical in every way.

As Sean says, aftermarket is the way to go & Quiafe seems to be the most popular choice. The QDF5U is made to fit all 92-96 non-lsd gearboxes regardless of chassis.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2548441

Generation
    4th Gen
    thx very much for the promped reply and anwsers

good day to you all