Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC

Upshift to 5th gear - crunchy!

Hey guys

OK - now moving on to yet another problem that seems to have manifested! Just reached 122,000 km mark - and the gearbox has begun crunching when I upshift to top gear? I had the gearbox drained of oil yesterday and even added a Nulon additive for manual tranny's and diffs and I can't say that it's really ANY better - but at least I know the oil level's right and it's clean?

I have read lots of other posts here in my search - most relating to 5th Gens. Some suggest slowing the upshift - some even double-clutching (I remember that from truck driving in the 80's).

It seems worse when the car's cold - gets to be pretty good once she warms up? When cold
    - even reverse can be fussy in engaging and some of the other gears also feel a bit notchy at times.

Anyone else had this with their 4th Gen?

Steve
    Eternity - the wrong thing to be wrong about.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Might just need to give the additive some time to work. They generally don't work straight away.

Original Member: 2003 "Adam"

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackR View Post
    Might just need to give the additive some time to work. They generally don't work straight away.
    Thanks Black - it'll be in there for a while now anyway. I have started to double clutch on the shift (just since last night) and it does seem to help. A couple of guys on the US PreludePower site switched their oil to combinations like 50/50 Pennzoil Synchromesh and 75 W Valvoline gear oil - or other light/heavy mixes. Apparently the thicker 1/2 mixes gave better lubrication - and worked!

Steve

Administrator
    Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    I have the same issue in mine. happened in my last gearbox too. Mine comes and goes though. Ive seen that it seems to be a prety common issue :S

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Manual H22A
    Mine also comes and goes. Touch wood it hasn't happened for as long as I remember - roughly since six months ago. Reco'd box with new synchros and bearings with labour is $990 at Hondworld on Sarton Road in Vic. Might take them up on their offer very soon.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC

May be fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackR View Post
    Would you believe it? Each and every day - it has gotten better and better! At the point today where I would almost describe the shifts as silky!

I've only had one change to 5th today that wasn't as smooth - and that may have been my fault in how I changed. It's getting to be a real pleasure again to drive!

For the record - if anyone else is trolling this thread in future - I used Nulon's manual gearbox and diff additive (has PTFE) and topped up with Nulon 10 - 30w Semi Synthetic.

Steve

Generation
    4th Gen
    Pretty sure its a known fact that the Honda Boxes crack it if you use any oil but the genuine Honda stuff which in turn causes crunchiness/sloppy changing. Both of mine have seen 230,000+ kms and haven't had an issue with no rebuild on Honda Oil.

Administrator
    Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-gee View Post
    Would you believe it? Each and every day - it has gotten better and better! At the point today where I would almost describe the shifts as silky!

I've only had one change to 5th today that wasn't as smooth - and that may have been my fault in how I changed. It's getting to be a real pleasure again to drive!

For the record - if anyone else is trolling this thread in future - I used Nulon's manual gearbox and diff additive (has PTFE) and topped up with Nulon 10 - 30w Semi Synthetic.

Steve
    sweet as. might give it a shot. mine started the crunchyness again the other day :S

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC

5th gear fix?

Quote Originally Posted by chimera92 View Post
    Pretty sure its a known fact that the Honda Boxes crack it if you use any oil but the genuine Honda stuff which in turn causes crunchiness/sloppy changing. Both of mine have seen 230,000+ kms and haven't had an issue with no rebuild on Honda Oil.
    I had to do something - whatever oil was in there from previous owners just was not cutting the mustard. I'd find it hard to believe that if you follow the PDF manual for oil weight (no type was specified) and add a supplement that claims to reduce friction by up to 50% - it would end up cracking anything?

It really is soooo smooth now!

Steve

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Quote Originally Posted by 5h4d0w View Post
    sweet as. might give it a shot. mine started the crunchyness again the other day :S
    It's certainly worth a try - I was literally wincing every time I shifted to 5th in particular! But there were other shifts that were notchy at times too - all of that is basically gone - but I will keep this thread updated..

Steve

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    just keep regular fluid changes and you should not really have any issues, provided the fluid you are using is suitable.
    ------------------------------------
    Winton : 1:48.2
    Sandown : 1:38.3

Generation
    5th Gen
    The only really important Honda fluid that you must use in a Honda is the power steering fluid. The rest can be changed around.

Original Member: 2003 "Adam"

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-gee View Post
    but I will keep this thread updated..Steve
    OK - a couple of weeks have passed and the tranny is certainly a joy to use now - BUT - it still doesn't like the upshift to 5th when cold! So - I simply wait for a few K's and all is well!

Steve