View Poll Results: Who will win in China?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nico Rosberg

0 0%
  • Lewis Hamilton

1 33.33%
  • Jenson Button

0 0%
  • Kevin Magnussen

0 0%
  • Fernando Alonso

0 0%
  • Kimi Raikkonen

0 0%
  • Daniel Ricciardo

2 66.67%
  • Sebastian Vettel

0 0%
  • Valtteri Bottas

0 0%
  • Felipe Massa

0 0%
  • Daniil Kvyat

0 0%
  • Jean-Eric Vergne

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Generation
    Non Honda

2014 Formula 1 UBS Chinese Grand Prix

The circus of F1 has rolled on to China with a few announcements in the break between races.

Firstly the American team of Haas has been accepted into the F1 grid for start as early as next season. Owned by Gene Haas of NASCAR fame the team have the option to start in 2016 if so desired which could be more likely as they are searching for partners currently and if the financial side is not in place they will not jump in just to be a part of the championship and then fail. Announcements will be made in 6-8 weeks about their plans for when to enter. Another team is said to be keen to enter but they are further away than Haas so i doubt they will be make it at this stage.

Secondly Red Bull have lost their appeal against their Melbourne disqualification today. After all the evidence it was decided to uphold the disqualification saying that appropriate measures were in place for the event of a sensor failure and that Red Bull had chosen to ignore those measures.

Thirdly Stefano Domenicali has resigned as team principle of Ferrari. He has been with the team since 1991 rising to team principle in 2008 after being sporting director since 2003 with Schumacher winning his 4th of 5 titles. With reults falling away since then and a number of close calls, the closest being loosing the 2008 championship to Lewis Hamilton on the final corner on the final lap of the final race in Brazil. I can't help but feel there was a touch of the 'jump-or-be-pushed' about it with Ferrari not having got on the podium yet this year.

Moving on to China!

The details:
    Number of Laps: 56
    Circuit Length: 5.451 km
    Race Distance: 305.066 km
    Lap Record: 1:32.238 - M Schumacher (2004)

Weather Forecast:
    Friday: Overcast
    Saturday: Rain
    Sunday: Rain

* not sure if needed but i don't own these photos! Just grabbed them of the internet as always!

This week the time schedules are a little kinder to us Aussies:

Fri 18th
    FP1 12:00-13:30
    FP2 16:00-17:30

Sat 19th
    FP3 13:00-14:00
    QUAL 16:00

Sun 20th
    RACE 17:00

Poll is on as usual and you are all welcome to wait until FP reults are up before voting!
    Last edited by ego; 15th April 2014 at 11:51 PM.

Generation
    Non Honda
    Speculation today that the replacement of Stefano Domenicali is only a temporary measure as the replacement has no qualifications for this role, having previously been CEO of Ferrari North America, and he is merely keeping the seat warm for Ross Brawn to return to Ferrari

http://grandprix247.com/2014/04/14/i...-to-maranello/

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    Sounds logical. Would love to see Ross back at Ferrari.
    Kind of glad they upheld the decision against RBR. I'm sure Daniel will be determined as ever and hungry for the win.

With the forecast rain over the weekend it may really play into the hands of RBR. Not so confident the Mercs can take this one.

Generation
    Non Honda
    Brawn at Ferrari would be powerful, he knows Maranello inside out and can pull together a team that is not currently a cohesive unit operating as one. Brawn would have the clout, knowledge and attitude to turn Ferrari around, i don't think there is anyone else currently available who could do the same job. Not to mention that McLaren is openly trying to swing Alonso back to the Woking fold. I doubt Alonso would return, he famously hated the way McLaren was manged but if its the difference between a car that can fight for podiums and a car that cannot then maybe its a different story.

Interesting article here if you have 5 minutes to spare about why Mercedes has such an advantage at the moment

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/26946444

Generation
    Non Honda
    Free practice 1 results

1. Fernando Alonso
    2. Nico Rosberg
    3. Daniel Ricciardo
    4. Jenson Button
    5. Nico Hulkenberg
    6. Kevin Magnussen
    7. Jean-Eric Vergne
    8. Lewis Hamilton
    9. Sebastian Vettel
    10. Felipe Massa
    11. Daniil Kvyat
    12. Romain Grosjean
    13. Felipe Nasr
    14. Giedo van der Garde
    15. Sergio Perez
    16. Pastor Maldonado
    17. Kamui Kobayashi
    18. Esteban Gutierrez
    19. Jules Bianchi
    20. Max Chilton
    21. Marcus Ericsson
    22. Kimi Räikkönen (no time)

wrap up here
    http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...4/4/15734.html

Generation
    Non Honda
    Free Practice 2 results

1. Lewis Hamilton
    2. Fernando Alonso
    3. Nico Rosberg
    4. Daniel Ricciardo
    5. Sebastian Vettel
    6. Felipe Massa
    7. Kimi Räikkönen
    8. Jenson Button
    9. Romain Grosjean
    10. Daniil Kvyat
    11. Nico Hulkenberg
    12. Kevin Magnussen
    13. Jean-Eric Vergne
    14. Valtteri Bottas
    15. Sergio Perez
    16. Esteban Gutierrez
    17. Adrian Sutil
    18. Pastor Maldonado
    19. Jules Bianchi
    20. Max Chilton
    21. Kamui Kobayashi
    22. Marcus Ericsson

Weather upated for Sunday from rain to cloudy

Generation
    Non Honda
    Happy Easter everyone!

Sorry about the late updates, easter and all i haven't had time until now!

FP3 results in the wet - Note that a lot of drivers that should be at the top are not. This is because they were saving sets of wet tyres for qualifying and the race as they only get an extra set if Friday practice is wet. I think the highest number of laps by anyone was 13 by Max Chilton.

1. Daniel Ricciardo
    2. Felipe Massa
    3. Romain Grosjean
    4. Nico Hulkenberg
    5. Kimi Räikkönen
    6. Pastor Maldonado
    7. Daniil Kvyat
    8. Valtteri Bottas
    9. Jenson Button
    10. Sergio Perez
    11. Sebastian Vettel
    12. Jean-Eric Vergne
    13. Adrian Sutil
    14. Max Chilton
    15. Esteban Gutierrez
    16. Kamui Kobayashi
    17. Jules Bianchi
    18. Marcus Ericsson
    19. Nico Rosberg (no time set)
    20. Kevin Magnussen (no time set)
    21. Fernando Alonso (no time set)
    22. Lewis Hamilton (no time set)

Qualifying!

Okay i did actually watch this, the session was wet like FP3 and Maldonado was the first one out having had an oil leak in FP3 and did not have it fixed in time for qualifying. The wet was a hard call to make initially full wets was the right choice for Q1 with the inters finding an advantage late in the session but there was not enough time for anyone to take any advantage from this aside from Grosjean and i think Massa. Q2 saw the biggest shocks as Mercedes started to flex some muscles none but Red Bull could follow and some of the big names knocked out were both McLarens, Grosjean and Kimi Raikkonen along with Kvyat and Perez. Q3 still under wet conditions showed with Mercedes, and particularly Lewis Hamilton, can do with Red Bull closing in on a potential pole Hamilton mastered the conditions to jump a full second ahead until Ricciardo pieced a clean lap together late to take 2nd .6 of a second down on Hamilton. Vettel nudged out Rosberg who seemed to be a bit flustered trying to match Hamilton and spun coming onto the main straight trying too hard as the flag dropped.

Maldonado will not serve his 5 place penalty here as new rules this year stipulate that the penalty must be served in places so he will carry it until he qualifies further up the grid and able to take some number of position drop which will be subtracted from the 5. IE he qualifies 20th, he will take 2 places off his 5 place penalty, 3 carried over to next race. Also as he did not take part in Qualifying he obviously didn't make the 107% rule, i'm sure he will race though.

The grid
    1. Lewis Hamilton
    2. Daniel Ricciardo
    3. Sebastian Vettel
    4. Nico Rosberg
    5. Fernando Alonso
    6. Felipe Massa
    7. Valtteri Bottas
    8. Nico Hulkenberg
    9. Jean-Eric Vergne
    10. Romain Grosjean
    11. Kimi Räikkönen
    12. Jenson Button
    13. Daniil Kvyat
    14. Adrian Sutil
    15. Kevin Magnussen
    16. Sergio Perez
    17. Esteban Gutierrez
    18. Kamui Kobayashi
    19. Jules Bianchi
    20. Marcus Ericsson
    21. Max Chilton
    DNQ. Pastor Maldonado

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    I'm backing Daniel on this one, for no other reason than he is competitive and I'm keen to see him with some decent points for his efforts. All depends though on the RBR pit crew....

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    Those mercs are just too strong.

Drive of the day still goes to Daniel in my book though.

Generation
    Non Honda
    Yup Mercedes are just amazing. Rosberg put a great drive together i thought, came back from first corner contact to claim 2nd. Ricciardo i praise for beating Vettel after he was told to let him past and after realising they were on the same strategy told the team 'tough luck' he wouldn't let him past.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    I really thought Ricardo would end up catching Alonso and snatch a podium, it wasn't meant to be though. It might have been different if Vettel hadn't blocked him for those few laps in the middle of the race. By the end neither RBR car had enough fuel left to really be a threat though anyway. Great drives by Hamilton and Rosberg (even without telemetry) for the continued Merc domination. The marshalling by the Chinese was a joke too. I was expecting some sort of penalty to Alonso for his tussle with Massa at the start, and surely Bottas should have been disqualified/stripped of his points for his faulty fuel sensor.

Generation
    Non Honda
    The faulty sensor is not an issue so much because the FIA has caucluations the teams can work to in event the sensor fails. In Red Bull's case they disregarded to FIA's calculations and did their own hence the disqualification of Ricciardo.

Ricciardo was clearly on a better strategy than Vettel because of his longer first stint on the tyres. Vettel is clearly struggling with the new cars more than Daniel so we shall see what happens. This was also the second race where Vettel has had team orders to move over for his team mate so we shall see if anything comes from that.

Catalunya next, McLaren have an upgrade package and they desperately need it, this will show what Ron Dennis can do i think.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTiR
    Seb totally denies that he disobeyed team orders to let Daniel through.
    Seb is not a team person imho - never has been - never will...
    Whilst eating with Seb, I wouldn't even trust leaving my dessert on the table even if I had to have a piss.

Best Shape Award = 4th Gen Prelude + Best Bang For Your Buck Award = R34 GT-R N1

Generation
    Non Honda
    Seb couldn't be less of a team player. From asking the team to tell Mark to 'get out of the way, he's too slow' in one race to having had the whole of F1 at his beck and call for 4 years he's used to being above everyone else. Now he's not even on the podium as well as behind his team mate he doesn't know what to do!

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTiR
    Old saying :- Tis a poor mechanic who blames his tools. That's probably happening now.

Best Shape Award = 4th Gen Prelude + Best Bang For Your Buck Award = R34 GT-R N1