View Poll Results: Who will win in Malaysia?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nico Rosberg

1 33.33%
  • Lewis Hamilton

2 66.67%
  • Daniel Ricciardo

0 0%
  • Sebastian Vettel

0 0%
  • Kevin Magnussen

0 0%
  • Jenson Button

0 0%
  • Fernando Alonso

0 0%
  • Kimi Raikkonen

0 0%
  • Valtteri Bottas

0 0%
  • Felipe Massa

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Generation
    Non Honda

2014 Formula 1 Petronas Malaysia Grand Prix

Two weeks on from the season opener and F1 is kicking off in Malaysia.

Mercedes looks like the team to beat in the dry but conditions for this weekend look anything but that with thunderstorms predicted for the whole weekend. We might get to see how these cars handle in properly wet conditions not the drizzle we had in Melbourne.

No doubt Hamilton and Vettel will be trying to make ammends for poor starts to their season, while Ricciardo will be doing his best to earn as many points as possible legally to make up for his disqualification.

Along with Mercedes and Red Bull pace setters from Melbourne; McLaren are lurking and sure to be trying to bridge the gap, Williams will want to make a strong showing as they seemed to be able to match Mercedes for pace. Ferrari have also been off the pace in the last few years so they will also want to get back to fighting for wins.

I'll keep updating across the course of the weekend, but vote bar is up for the major teams/ drivers who you think will win and feel free to post your guess at the podium results.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	malaysia-sepang-practice-f1-wallpaper-2009-1-1024x659.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	8343
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	malaysian_gp_start_sepa_2010-5-886x590.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	8344
    Last edited by ego; 27th March 2014 at 05:20 PM.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    Would love to see Hamilton take a few scalps early this season. Just so many unknowns with these cars and reliability.
    I'm suspecting Daniel will have it pretty tough for the rest of the season. Just a prediction. RBR are all over the place atm.

BTW. Really like your input on the F1 season events mate.

Generation
    Non Honda
    Thanks bob, just another way for me keep enjoying my passion for F1 but i'm glad other people like it too!

If its dry Red Bull could struggle massively since they are so far down on top speed compared to the others, i think it was in some places 20km/h down in Melbourne, especially since Malaysia is famous for its long straights to start and finish the lap.

I think it will be hard to teams to pull Mercedes in so fast, though i'd put in Williams as a potential and i think McLaren could be on for a podium depending on reliability and accidents etc.

The main consideration will be the weather more than anything else. Given the storms i mentioned above, but also the heat and humidity, the cooling systems will be worked to maximum and i would not be surprised to see some bodywork changes to either help vent air or to direct more air through.

Also visited James Allen's website and on it he says the chance of safety car is 14% and is more often than not due to weather rather than an accident given how wide the run-off areas are. The last two years have seen rain affected races and seems like a strong chance again this year. 2 stop race is predicted for a dry race.

I'd love to see Bottas go well here after is phenomenal effort in Melbourne hampered by his loss of a wheel, i think it will be Rosberg again though, he was in a league of his own in Melbourne.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTiR
    I find it very difficult to collate information about F1 in the past two decades.
    It's my fault for living in the past.

What I do admire are drivers who can hold it together and drive quickly in the wet.
    Which of the above drivers are great wet weather drivers, I haven't a clue.
    Thoughts?

I guess I'm still a fan of WRC most of all.
    Re: F1, I still stand in awe of the wet weather driving of Jimmy Clark & Ayrton Senna. Maybe I could throw Stirling Moss in there too. Takes courage!!!

Best Shape Award = 4th Gen Prelude + Best Bang For Your Buck Award = R34 GT-R N1

Generation
    Non Honda
    True Terry, cars have changed so much since the golden years. Back then aerodynamics were not as much a factor of the cars as mechanical grip, now it's the other way around so with these new regulations low speed corners in the wet will be a handful. I still maintain that the 70s/80s produced the finest drivers, considering the lack of safety, how powerful the cars were and manual gear boxes it boggles the mind how they could drive them on the limit. Still got a print of Ayrton Senna's first win in the JPS Lotus hanging on my wall, nothing else F1 except a few 1:18 scale models of Hamilton's Championship car, the MP4-24 wearing Button's #1 year after he was champion with Brawn, and MP4-26 with the U-ducts. Senna and the MP4-4 was the marriage made in heaven with 15 wins out of a possible 16, and the only reason he didn't win the 16th is he crashed overtaking a back-marker.

As is the nature of F1, the rules tend to change in big ways, and for the last few years it has been perfecting tiny details rather than innovating the car. I'm really enjoying the shake up, not just because it has stopped the Vettel show, because F1 is back innovating technology that will in the next decade or so find its way onto road going cars as F1 hones it.

Button i think is often overlooked as a solid driver both wet and dry. Anyone who saw him vs Vettel in Canada 2011 would agree. In a difficult drying track when he held it together despite tangling with Hamilton, damaging his front wing, getting a puncture, a drive-through for the same incident, dropping to the back of the grid and a rain delayed 4 hour race to force the unflappable Vettel into a mistake on the final lap and win. To this day the best race i have ever watched, i stayed up for the whole 2 hour rain delay with my best mate who is a massive JB fan so it was worth it! While he doesn't have the outright pace of the Vettels, Hamiltons etc. Give him a car he is comfortable with and he will be there at the end fighting for a podium.

Alonso is also very consistent, if not outright quick in the wet, i also like Bottas who came alive as the weather turned in Melbourne and drove like it was a pleasant autumn afternoon. I don't have an independent view of Vettel but in my opinion if he can get out the front in a car set up for him, he will dominate, if he has to fight he gets flustered.

The issue is with a lot of the new circuits they are so wide with so much run off area that it does get boring but the older tracks i love. Monza is a special favourite, Monaco is a bit boring but good for crashes, Spa of course and a bit newer the Canada track i do really love.

Free Practice 1 is on now, finishing in 15 mins so i'll update results then.
    Last edited by ego; 28th March 2014 at 02:12 PM.

Generation
    Non Honda
    FP1 results:

1. Lewis Hamilton
    2. Kimi Raikkonen
    3. Nico Rosberg
    4. Jenson Button
    5. Kevin Magnussen
    6. Jean-Eric Vergne
    7. Sebastian Vettel
    8. Nico Hulkenberg
    9. Felipe Massa
    10. Valtteri Bottas
    11. Fernando Alonso
    12. Daniel Ricciardo
    13. Adrian Sutil
    14. Daniil Kvyat
    15. Esteban Gutierrez
    16 Jules Bianchi
    17 Marcus Ericsson
    18. Max Chilton
    19. Kamui Kobayashi
    20. Sergio Perez
    21. Pastor Maldonado
    22. Romain Grosjean.

Waiting to read the report, final 3 did not set a time. Red Bull way down on top speed, Ricciardo 15th and Vettel was 17th based on pace in the speed trap 11km/h slower than Rosberg the fastest.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    WRC is the pinnacle of drivers sports for sure Terry. But the sport has suffered dramatically due to politics and the need for corporate dollars in recent years. The difficulty in trying to televise a race through a couple of hundred kms of bush / desert doesn't help.

In comparison F1 seems more like the main event at a travelling who's / who popularity contest.

Hammy is off to a good start. ;-)

Generation
    Non Honda
    I loved WRC when it was a battle between Subaru and Mitsubishi and a few other team in there. Now it just seems to be prototype cars with nothing more than a sideways glance at a road going equivalent which bears utterly no relationship to the WRC car other than a badge and a heavily modified body.

Now i more enjoy events like Targa Tasmania etc. Road rally with a wide selection of cars, i find it much more exciting than the current WRC.

edit: Nothing major to report from FP1, Magnussen had a loss of power but was diagnosed as a faulty sensor and quickly fixed, most people battling oversteer expect Hamilton who had more understeer than anything else. Apparently quite a few spins as drivers tested the limits of the track.
    Last edited by ego; 28th March 2014 at 03:50 PM.

Generation
    Non Honda
    FP2 is done and dusted:

1. Nico Rosberg
    2. Kimi Raikkonen
    3. Sebastian Vettel
    4. Lewis Hamilton
    5. Fernando Alonso
    6. Felipe Massa
    7. Daniel Ricciardo
    8. Jenson Button
    9. Valtteri Bottas
    10. Nico Hulkenberg
    11. Jean-Eric Vergne
    12. Kevin Magnussen
    13. Adrian Sutil
    14. Daniil Kvyat
    15. Esteban Gutierrez
    16. Sergio Perez
    17. Romain Grosjean
    18. Max Chilton
    19. Jules Bianchi
    20. Marcus Ericsson
    21. Kamui Kobayashi
    22. Pastor Maldonado

Looks like Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari are all on very similar pace, top 11 separated by just 1 second.

McLaren ran a new front nose in FP1 which tested well, left it on for FP2 but made further adjustments which went in the wrong direction causing loss of downforce in highspeed corners.

Grosjean got a few laps done before mechanical failure, Kobayashi never left the garage still plagued with energy store problems and a hand full of spinners.

Biggest issue is the cooling of the car and tyre degredation.

Things get serious tomorrow so let's see what happens when the shadow boxing stops.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTiR
    Thank you for enlightening me Tim & Bob.
    You both fill in gaps very well indeed, for me.

Tomorrow, I'm on a cruise; organised by someone else for once - the owner of RibTerranean Restaurant.
    So from twin Servos on the M4 Blacktown, we go up through the Blue Mtns to Katoomba > Mt Victoria > Bells Line Of Road > Balmain - RibTerranean for ribs at 5pm Eastern Summer Time > 2 minute walk to the Monkey Bar at 7, to watch F1 !!! Yay!!!

Any NSW PAers who want to tag along, cruise and eat ribs > watch F1...
    PM me!!! And I'll add you to the restaurateur's list!!!
    We meet at at 10am at Twin Servos M4 westbound.

Best Shape Award = 4th Gen Prelude + Best Bang For Your Buck Award = R34 GT-R N1

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTiR
    I shall try and dig out the Canadian GP of 2011 BTW.
    I think I saw highlights only...

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    Think I should get into the predictions game.
    Hammy 1. Daniel screwed over.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    ^^ Spot on prediction Bob!! Top write up again so far too Tim, keep up the great work.

Generation
    Non Honda
    Sorry i went AWOL guys!

As Bob says Hamilton won convincingly over Rosberg who in turn had Vettel covered.

Annoyed i didn't get a chance to cover qualifying because it was pretty exciting with a rain delay of 45 minutes followed by a long game of tyre strategy which some did well and others did not. A red flag and various people off made it exciting to watch.

The race! Rain was predicted from 1 hour in but never arrived aside from the odd spot here and there. I'll do this by team as its a bit easier to write it that way.

Mercedes: Controlled the race again, Hamilton in front this time, Rosberg second had a mild challenge by Vettel, but held him off well to extend his lead in the championship. If anyone could have beaten him, it was best for the points it was either Hamilton or Vettel after their DNFs in Australia.

Red Bull: There was a touch of Mark Webber about Ricciardo, he came from nowhere off the line to steal 3rd off Vettel early on before dropping back to 4th. He had 4th all wraped up and in the post but his final stop on lap 40 destroyed his race. Firstly the car was released before the left front wheel was done up, and he stopped in the pit lane to be dragged back. He was then pinged for an unsafe release and given a 10 second stop-go penalty, but before getting in to do this penalty his front wing failed on the turn 14 curb and he needed another stop to repair that. In the end the team would retire him from the race. 2 races, no points for Ricciardo.

Ferrari: Two very different races with Kimi Raikkonen suffering a puncture after driving across Magnussen's front wing at turn 1 and ending up duking it out for 11th with Grosjean, which went the Ferrari's way, while Alonso remained calm in a car that was clearly not on pace with Mercedes and Red Bull and changed his strategy to be on the medium compound at the end when everyone else was on hards. This saw him fly back through the pack and claim 5th well.

McLaren: Still not up with the pace of the front runners but at least going forwards in races rather than backwards (at least in Button's case) McLaren had a touch of the damage limitation about them this race. Clearly not going to be on for a podium chance like in Melbourne Button drove a clean race to take 6th with the Williams only a second or so behind. Magnussen fell back after a 5 second stop-go penatly for the incident with Raikkonen and would finish 9th.

Williams: largely incident free until the very closing stages when Massa was chasing Button but with little effect the team gave the order for Bottas to pass and try as he was on newer tyres. They were only 2 laps newer but regardless Massa wasn't having a bar of it. He remained firmly in 7th and basically seemed to drive as though if Bottas had the newer tyres then he could pass him on merit rather than handing over like it used to be at Ferrari. I was cheering Massa home all the way!

Lotus: Finally got a car home! Grosjean couldn't hold of Raikkonen but that didn't matter, he crossed the line and Lotus were happy with that. Hopefully they can get the car sorted and have a few more finishes.

Special mentions go to: Kvyat, a nicely measured race to take 10th and the final point. No drama, no histrionics just racing and Kobayashi who showed the kind of pace McLaren had at one point, which frankly has no right to be in a Caterham, and finished 13th, ahead of his team mate.

DNF: Ricciardo, Sutil, Gutierrez, Vergne, Bianchi, Maldonado
    DNS: Perez (technical problems had the car stuck in 4th in the garage before even making it to the grid)

Points table:

Rosberg 43
    Hamilton 25
    Alonso 24
    Button 23
    Magnussen 20

Penalties handed out: Bianchi & Magnussen both recieve 2 points on their racing licences for their contributions to the Malaysia race. Ricciardo recieves a 10 place grid penalty for next race for the unsafe release. The new rules stipulate that if an unsafe release occurs this season they get a 10 second stop-go & an automatic 10 place penalty for the next race if you were wondering why he got a penalty for something he already got a penalty for.

Off to Bahrain next, one of the least interesting race tracks IMO but hopefully the new cars can spice it up a bit.
    Last edited by ego; 31st March 2014 at 10:05 AM.