Generation
    5th Gen

knock sensor issues

Hi guys im new here so sorry if i could have put this in a better section ( like my own build thread but i couldn't find that section )

i recently found a oil leak behind my intake manifold, searching for it with my hand i found a sensor, i thought i may have been leaking from there so i attempted to unplug the sensor and instead of the plug coming off the sensor i snapped the male part of the sensor off the sensor itself and it was still plugged into the harness ( lol idiot i know..) i slid the sensor back together ( still plugged into harness) and continued driving the car with no issues, a week later i decided i was going to rebuild my engine and did so, whilst the car was out i replaced the sensor with a new $30 ebay speacial Knock sensor.

on first start up no issue but now it throws a code after 2 mins of driving i pulled the code and yep.. knock sensor is the issue so i unbolted it an put my old brocken one back in and no more issues..

the odd thing is i checked both for continuity and ohms.. and both gave me no continuity and Open loop.

so im a bit stumped the broken ones back in now and no check engine light, although i cant help wonder if the new one was ok and was giving correct readings that there actually is a issue in my engine.. or if the new one was incorrect part and was throwing codes or something else stupid does anyone have any experience with these things???

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    No experience with it but it may be possible that the sensor is somehow calibrated to the the ECU. By using an alternate sensor it may give a different output and hence fault code. Just a hunch.

Generation
    5th Gen
    hmm cheers for the input bob, all i know is now the car is running fine... odd but im still a bit worried lol.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    before replacing anything in your car you need to ensure it is compatible with stock specs. things like sensors have different tolerances and ways they are triggerred. This also must be sending the right values back to the ECU.. generally they send a voltage back based on a reading the sensor takes.. So if you are using a 5v sensor and its actually 12v you can guess there is information that is expected not recieved by the ECU.
    ------------------------------------
    Winton : 1:48.2
    Sandown : 1:38.3

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Si
    I would replace the sensor with the appropriate sensor from Honda

I think they are around $50?
    ʍǝɹɔ uʍop ǝpısdn

私の進行中のスレッドを確認してください
    Quote Originally Posted by lommytam2342 View Post
    Hey Furo, whats the finger spacing for your rear?
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Eevil View Post
    How much do I have to pay you or how much dick do I have to suck to get you to take me for a ride?!

Generation
    5th Gen
    appropriate sensor from honda $200...

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    from the wrecker if you not gonna pay 200 for a new one