Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Manual H22A

Wtf is wrong with my idle?!

Hi guys...

Tomorrow's Melbourne Cup day and a public holiday and I can't take my car to the mechanic for the aforementioned reason. Need this fixed tomorrow otherwise I can't go to work and I just started a new ****ing job... My luck I guess.

Completed the H22A conversion today. Stoked. Not so happy about what happened to me though, been tearing my hair out for the past few hours.

What happens is my idle fluctuates badly, car doesn't have any "go" for about a thousand RPM's, generally from 3K to 4K. VTEC kicks in normally and does do its job. Have a check engine light that turns on when it wants to and doesn't turn off until I turn the car off. Feels like I have a sticky throttle, I put my feet behind the pedal and pull it closer to me and the revs drop right down.

This is my problem right here, not my video as my PC shat itself and can't upload mine:

I have checked for any vacuum leaks and can't find one for the life of me. Got a hose and put one side to my ear and the other side to multiple areas in the engine bay and still can't hear anything abnormal.

Here are a few things that I have done research about and believe it may be one of the following:

- TPS farked
    - Intake manifold farked
    - Intake manifold gasket farked
    - EGR? Not sure if it might cause surge though, probably just throw a code I'm assuming
    - FITV
    - IACV
    - ECU (P13)

The idle screw is maybe 3MM inside the IM, was sitting flush beforehand but still having the same problem, so I doubt it's that. All spark plugs are gapped correctly, new leads also. Every single hose in this engine bay is brand spanking new and all connected, how I can have idle surge is beyond me if related to a vacuum leak.

I have heard something about being able to adjust the TPS? What's this about? I really hope the gasket isn't ****ed cause I cannot be assed taking the thing off.

Any mechanics in Melbourne working tomorrow?

My video to come soon.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    what's the cel code?
    air in the coolant
    vacuum lines mixed up
    valve clearance

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Manual H22A
    Haven't had a chance to look cause I'm busy with other shit at 2 in the morning unfortunately. Will try bleeding coolant for longer tomorrow and see what happens. Where do you think the vacuum lines would have been mixed up if they are at all?

Doubt it's valve clearance...

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    My guess is to bleed the cooling system.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Manual H22A
    Bled the cooling system for a good 20 minutes this morning, definitely at operating temp when I stopped. Didn't fix the issue. Bought a new PCV from Repco, fixed it in the slightest but a little better. Just going to wait for my motor to cool down and give the IACV a good clean and see where we get with that.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Last edited by Sean628; 5th November 2013 at 06:57 PM.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Manual H22A
    Cleaned the IACV and the FITV, double and triple checked for any vacuum leaks with two sets of eyes, re bled the cooling, adjusted idle screw and throttle cable...

Now I have no idle surge after about 30 mins of driving. However my idle is very low, sometimes it stays at about 1K at the lights and sometimes it drops right down and the car stalls. Michael has suggested that the timing may be out cause all this time it sounded like the lopiest cam out there, even when driving it sounds like it's misfiring constantly. And no this is not an effect from the headers.

If the timing was out would it cause irregulaties as aforementioned in idle? Surely the misfiring and the misfiring noises would be fixed if it was the timing that was off.

Any pointers people?

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Manual H22A
    What about the knock sensor? Could that be causing any issues?

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Have u tried adjust the timing? Do u have check engine light?

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Manual H22A
    I'm gonna go for a drive later tonight with a paperclip and get the CEL code.

I've been told a few times my timing might be out.