Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: LED Headlights

  1. #1
    Silver Member Kozman91's Avatar
    Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4ws
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,437

    LED Headlights

    Hey guys, I've decided to do some more work on my custom sleepy eyed headlights. I wanted to try out some LED headlight options but a lot of the equations and details for working out a good light output is a bit hard to understand on my own.

    Basically I'm looking at 4wd led spotlight bars and others similar, here's an example


    Obviously going for even more of that ultra low look for the sleepy eyes.

    Now the output on these lights (for example purposes) is apparently 1770lm (or lumens). From what I can tell from calculators online, that equals 29.5watts. But the light output between LED's and halogens is different, thats what I'm having trouble understanding.

    What I'm trying to find is LED's that put out the same (or close to it) as a 55-60watt halogen?
    Also the other thing I'm trying to figure out is beam type, what kind of beam should I be looking at for headlight use? Flood, fog, spot?

    Obviously I'll need to figure something out for highbeams, but I'll worry about that when I get to it.
    I'll also need to make a cut off, but thats the least of my problems

    Any help is appreciated guys

  2. #2
    Senior Member conor07's Avatar
    Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS turbobo bro
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australian Capital Territory
    Posts
    938
    4wd light bars are designed for a large spread and not much distance. if you use these you will blind anyone near you and still wont be able to see. you need to find headlight specific ones. not spot lights. or light bars

  3. #3
    Silver Member Kozman91's Avatar
    Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4ws
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by conor07 View Post
    4wd light bars are designed for a large spread and not much distance. if you use these you will blind anyone near you and still wont be able to see. you need to find headlight specific ones. not spot lights. or light bars
    These are just an example, you can get pencil beam ones aswell
    I will also be making a cutoff, not like I'm going to bolt them on as is, they'll need modifications

  4. #4
    Senior Member conor07's Avatar
    Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS turbobo bro
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australian Capital Territory
    Posts
    938
    yea i gess thats what you need. idk how you will go for range but. and you will still need to make a way to stop light leeking into the other lanes and up no were to waist.

  5. #5
    Silver Member Kozman91's Avatar
    Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4ws
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by conor07 View Post
    yea i gess thats what you need. idk how you will go for range but. and you will still need to make a way to stop light leeking into the other lanes and up no were to waist.
    Thats what I'm trying to figure out, someone who can explain how to calculate the range according to lumens or watts. ALso the cutoff will be solid steel, no way it will leak.

    I'll also have to rewired them with a resister and relay to cut the power going to them so I can have a high beam and low beam
    Last edited by Kozman91; 29th April 2013 at 10:41 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member conor07's Avatar
    Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS turbobo bro
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australian Capital Territory
    Posts
    938
    you cant calculate the range. it will all depend on the geometry of the lenses. you could put it though i tiny lazer lens and get 2k out of it but the beem is the size of a pencil. or you get 20m and 360o spred.

  7. #7
    Silver Member Kozman91's Avatar
    Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4ws
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,437
    I'm only getting 15 metres (ish) with my current head lights, anything similar would be fine

  8. #8
    Senior Member conor07's Avatar
    Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS turbobo bro
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australian Capital Territory
    Posts
    938
    yea you should be fine then.

  9. #9
    Silver Member Kozman91's Avatar
    Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4ws
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,437
    Thats what I was thinking LOL
    But yeah, something similar to a light bar like the one in my example should work, I'll just need to make a metal shield around the top and sides to stop leakage, which is easy enough to do inside the 3g headlight mounts. And wire in a resister to run low and high beam, obviously high beam being maximum power, which hopefully WILL blind ppl, and low beam being around standard.

    So I'm not worried about them being too bright, I can sort that out using a relay and resister setup, just need to know how to get something with similar light output as a 55w halogen.
    Last edited by Kozman91; 29th April 2013 at 10:57 PM.

  10. #10
    Silver Member MattR's Avatar
    Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Si
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,277
    Easiest way, IMO, would be to find out the output of standard LED headlights on some of the luxury cars and work from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    Did you hear about the Dyslexic Agnostic Insomniac.....

    He lay awake all night, wondering if there really was a DOG....!!

  11. #11
    Senior Member Nonricerprelude's Avatar
    Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Leather
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    633
    i all for custom your headlights mate. IMO keep your standard headlights in the shed dont throw them away. big chance that you get pulled over and defected on the spot.
    on my 4x4 i have led spotties, both pencil beam and flood. they should fit in the space easy
    but my high beams on the pajero are stronger(distance) than my pencil beams.(not my favourite recent purchase)
    website: www.snakeracing.com.au AKA rigid industries
    ..Floods: Dually D2 driving lights..... Pencil Beam: dually pencil/spot beam(selectable)
    also variations on led designs like ur picture too.
    also im interested on how u will do the cutoff without affecting the strength of the lamp too.
    goodluck
    Last edited by Nonricerprelude; 30th April 2013 at 10:27 PM.
    3RD GEN LUDER--------------------

    Ricing It Up alil'

  12. #12
    Silver Member Kozman91's Avatar
    Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4ws
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonricerprelude View Post
    i all for custom your headlights mate. IMO keep your standard headlights in the shed dont throw them away. big chance that you get pulled over and defected on the spot.
    on my 4x4 i have led spotties, both pencil beam and flood. they should fit in the space easy
    but my high beams on the pajero are stronger(distance) than my pencil beams.(not my favourite recent purchase)
    website: www.snakeracing.com.au AKA rigid industries
    ..Floods: Dually D2 driving lights..... Pencil Beam: dually pencil/spot beam(selectable)
    also variations on led designs like ur picture too.
    also im interested on how u will do the cutoff without affecting the strength of the lamp too.
    goodluck
    I've already got custom xenon headlights, they're almost a green, had for a long time, just going further and more up to date with them, I never get pulled over, so I'm not worried about led headlights LOL they'll be ultra white 6000k colour temp
    Thanks for the info as well
    The cutoff will be external to the housing, more like a reflective shroud to spread the light towards the middle and down to the ground, hopefully directing the light away from the sides and up. If its reflective I don't see much strength being lost, but I'm only guessing, I'll have to have a play with it first.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Generation
    5th Gen
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kozman91 View Post
    Hey guys, I've decided to do some more work on my custom sleepy eyed headlights. I wanted to try out some LED headlight options but a lot of the equations and details for working out a good light output is a bit hard to understand on my own.

    Basically I'm looking at 4wd led spotlight bars and others similar, here's an example

    Obviously going for even more of that ultra low look for the sleepy eyes.

    Now the output on these lights (for example purposes) is apparently 1770lm (or lumens). From what I can tell from calculators online, that equals 29.5watts. But the light output between LED's and halogens is different, thats what I'm having trouble understanding.

    What I'm trying to find is LED's that put out the same (or close to it) as a 55-60watt halogen?
    Also the other thing I'm trying to figure out is beam type, what kind of beam should I be looking at for headlight use? Flood, fog, spot?

    Obviously I'll need to figure something out for highbeams, but I'll worry about that when I get to it.
    I'll also need to make a cut off, but thats the least of my problems

    Any help is appreciated guys
    I think you have shared correct option. I am looking to get them very soon so can you give some information about price and brand. Waiting for reply. Thanks in advance

  14. #14
    Senior Member DrTony's Avatar
    Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    758
    find audi r8, smash front headlights. take out LED lights. superglue it on to ur car. hook it up to 9v battery lol.
    It's Tony!

    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.


Similar Threads

  1. LED's
    By reMeNiZ in forum Fourth Generation
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 31st January 2011, 01:41 AM
  2. 6 pin flasher relay for LED's and brake light out LED issue?
    By SnowWhiteLude in forum I.C.E / Electronics / Security
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th October 2009, 02:24 PM
  3. LED's to be activated wen headlights are switched on?!?!
    By jonnathann in forum I.C.E / Electronics / Security
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11th August 2006, 12:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •