Thread: Guitars

Generation
    4th Gen

Guitars

Let's see yours!

I play bass, was in a band for about 400 gigs up til a few years ago, but haven't played live for a while now.

Still have my basses though. My main tool is a 1990 Gibson Thunderbird Custom Shop, which was built for the guy in a band called The Almighty from Glasgow.

I also have an Epiphone T-Bird Pro for backup, and an Epi Explorer for when I need something just a little bit silly. And a Hohner Jack Bass, which is tiny nad headless, and a couple of Corts that I picked up along the way.

So, what instrumentation have you guys on the other side of the world got?

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    i build my own guitars as well as have my own collection of about 8 or 9, most recently i've picked up an incredibly hard to find Gibson Thunderhorse Explorer, which were disallowed by Gibson to retailers to sell overseas and there were only 400 ever made, so mine is most likely the only one in Australia here are some pics of what i've got

Top from left to right: Second guitar I built myself, early 70's Ibanez SG, the first guitar I built myself
    Bottom from left to right: Washburn Lyon Paul Stanley Edition, 1 of 1500 signed by Paul Stanley of KISS, Burns Brian May Signature, Ibanez ART-300

the Thunderhorse took me so long to get my hands on one of these

I also have this hand made Brian May Red Special replica, built to the exact specs of the original of Queen's lead guitarist

at the moment I have a third guitar i'm still in the process of building as well as i'm building a violin for my girlfriend that's now a belated christmas present, lol
    Last edited by Baz; 29th January 2013 at 06:02 AM.

Generation
    5th Gen
    I have a Yamaha SG and a Crafter SA.

My Uncle has an original 53' left-handed strat.

He picked it up in the UK for 200 pound about 30 years ago.

Recent appraisal had it at $50,000.

According the people the valued it (some place in Sydney). It would have had to have been pulled off the production and string by the head luthier. They think this would have required someone with a lot of influence the two notable lefties at the time were Hendrix and McCartney. Last I heard they were trying to get in contact with McCartney to ask him if he had ever owned it.

Had to privilege to play this a few times.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4ws
    I play bass aswell, Cort EVL-Z4B custom EMG-HZ pickups, love it, own a few guitars aswell. Havn't played much for awhile, since leaving my band a few years back. I do miss it, we were playing on average a gig every 2 weeks in and around Melbourne's bar's and a few metal orientated nightclubs.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Thunderhorse Explorer sounds like quite a find! I was just reading the official Gibson blurb ...

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...-Explorer.aspx

They did Thunderbirds in that Silverburst colour too, but I'm not sure if I like them or not.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    it was quite a find, it was hard for me to just find one for sale let alone someone who'd also ship it overseas for me, lol... took about two years for me to get one... i considered getting the baritone explorer that Gibson make that also has the silverburst, but i don't think i'd like the longer scale length and it wouldn't be the same as owning a really rare piece i'd love a silverburst Les Paul too, haha, something about the silver burst is just awesome

Generation
    Non Honda
    I play guitar, not in a band........not interested in that side of it.
    Got a few Washburn acoustics , 6 and 12 strings , all steel strings ... D10 I bought a little while ago is black over mahogany and a beautiful guitar.
    Got 2 Strats, a heritage and a squire.
    Between my son and I we have a total of around 10 guitars.
    I prefer older acoustics because of the tone woods in them, you just can't buy new ones with decent wood in them anymore and all i've bought have been bargains that people have bought and lost interest in them.
    In the process of making a CBG at the moment, love the sound of those old 3 string blues
    Last edited by itsmee; 31st January 2013 at 11:12 AM.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    photo 1.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Well, here are my two main instruments.
    The bass is a 2011 Rickenbacker 4003 which has the best tone out of all of my bass's.
    The guitar is a 2007 Cherry Red Gibson which I use primarily for metal.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Quote Originally Posted by Zac View Post

Well, here are my two main instruments.
    The bass is a 2011 Rickenbacker 4003 which has the best tone out of all of my bass's.
    The guitar is a 2007 Cherry Red Gibson which I use primarily for metal.
    find me a guitarist who uses an explorer for anything besides metal haha

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    find me a guitarist who uses an explorer for anything besides metal haha
    Good point man, aha.
    But seriously, it is a beast.