Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws

Builds-The-Fire's 3rd Gen Progress Thead

A few months back now I picked up a 1989 Si from a Salvo's in Brisbane (with Pacman's help! Thanks!)

This is as she was sitting out back of the Spring Hill Salvo's. The engine ran, but badly, struggling to start or accelerate. There were a few cosmetic issues, but not too serious, and the drivers side window wasn't working properly.

The engine bay the day after bringing the lude home. Totally stock, never been modified, and running poorly. The previous owner had wanted to fix her up and had big plans. He had a mechanic inspect the timing belt, which was still fairly good, as well as a few other bits of maintenance and inspections, but further work seemed to be too much for him to handle at that time.

Some of his plans were to strip back the black on the outside window sills.... unfortunatly he accidently stripped back the body paint too. Still need to buckle down and fix this bit...

A little heavy on the buffing I think... also some damage around the lock.

I pretty much set right into fixing whatever I could, picking up used parts from partouts all over Brisbane, visiting Boss Wrecking, and buying off the F/S section on the forum.

One of the first things to fix was the window regulator, which I found had most of it's teeth worn right down. I replaced it with a much better condition regulator out of an '88, and lubricated the gears.

The '88 partout also yielded a center boot garnish to replace the cracked one. For some reason, the lude was badged as a carby...

I was able to get the proper badge for it from that '88 partout. Another issue was the spoiler light not working, which I was able to fix with Ian's help. Turns out, the wires had been switched, and the spoiler light had likely never worked...

The lude was intended to be quite a long-term project. I was in no rush, and planned to slowly replace and maintain the car until it was as good as I could get it, leaving it virtually stock. I was still toying with the idea of selling, because at this time it hadn't cost me more than what I had bought it for, or more than they can sell for, so I figured there was a chance to make some money to fund building the 4th gen.

Things changed however, when my parents needed another car and asked if I could get it roadworthy soon. They offered to pay it's rego so I decided to get it inspected for roadworthy.
    By this time I had fixed the engine issues, which turned out to be damaged ignition leads, old Champion plugs (was told by a US 3rd gen owner to make sure there weren't Champion's in the engine, as they can make the engine run very poorly). The fuel itself had been allowed to sit int he tank for atleast 7 months, so I put injector cleaning and fresh 98 octane in, and she ran fine.

The first roadworthy inspection cited 3 main issues:
    1. Split Steering boots
    2. Splits in both front brakelines
    3. Oil leak

The Oil leak was easy to fix, mainly because there was none. The engine previously had a pretty severe tapper cover gasket leak, which left residue everywhere around the engine. A good degreasing settled that point on the list.
    The brake lines were fairly easy too. I managed to find a set in Boss Wrecking on a 90-91 model with the help of Ian, Sam, and Craig. The lines were nstalled and bled that afternoon.
    The boots were a bit trickier. I used MustardCat's writup (http://mustardcat.brinkster.net/p3g/...intRemoval.htm) on removing the ball joints, but it was still a chore. I ended up using one of those ball joint forks to work the ball joint free.

With the repairs made, she breezed right through the second inspection, and had plates the next day.

On the road, and straight out for some celebratory Sushi Train.

It took taking her to her first car meet to discover one of the more glaring issues. Turns out my lude was tuned for drift spec, as can be seen if you look at the angles of the car compared to the line on the parking space...
    The front and rear steering were FAR out of alignment, which lead to some hilarity on the road, especially when changing lanes. It's a good thing I went in on that 4WS locking pin group buy..

With the lude registered, it was time to say goodbye for a little while. She went south to my parents place in NSW to do daily duty with my mum.

This is my mum driving a manual for the first time since 1996. Her last manual was a Nissan Bluebird.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    With the lude doing very well down in NSW, no issues, leaks, sounds. It was running just as it should. Around this time, DownshiftAus had a Circuit and Coffee event coming up, a kind of happy laps where you can run about on the Queensland Raceway for an hour, or as long as you're car can handle. It was also one of the last times they allowed full racecars on, so it was an interesting event.

One of the organizers was Club Highrollers, and this picture made it onto their website.

The lude did quite well on the track. While not being the fastest, I wasn't there to challenge anyone but myself and the cars own limits. She never skipped a beat, overheated, or developed any issues then, or since. Really happy with how this car handled itself on the track. It also helped me see where I need to improve, and what future modifications and maintenance will be necessary to make it competitive. This is really where I start considering building the lude beyond stock.

Eventually mum and dad bought a Hilux, and it was no longer necessary to keep the lude at their place. So I brought her back to Brisbane, and the first thing I did was get the windows retinted. I'm not sure if it's clear in other photos, but the old tint was horrific. It was pealing, obscuring visibility, and made the windows look blue more than anything.

In the shop after retinting. One step closer to a cleaner lude.
    Last edited by Builds.the.Fire; 2nd January 2013 at 10:25 PM.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws

Starting to clean up a bit. I added a white PreludePower.com sticker of the style they used to have. My friend off the forum used to have them made, and had a few kicking around.

Close-up of the sticker.

While exploring the wrecking yard, I found a ba5 tucked away in a different part of the yard, away from where the Preludes are usualy put. Turned out to be a JDM ba5 with Power Folding Mirrors.

Mirrors installed, but not wired up just yet.
    Last edited by Builds.the.Fire; 2nd January 2013 at 10:11 PM.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Reserved..

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4ws
    haha saw that pic of your lude on Downshift, I'll keep an eye on this build.
    Needs rims

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Quote Originally Posted by Kozman91 View Post
    haha saw that pic of your lude on Downshift, I'll keep an eye on this build.
    Needs rims
    agreed, I have my eye on a set, just need to make sure my finances are in order I have a set of lowering springs on the way though...

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4ws
    Awesome, well goodluck

Generation
    Other Honda
    Looks good man
    Nice to see you have my EK4 in there and my missus BZR in there ;P

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws

As part of routine maintenance, I wanted to swap out the old clutch master and slave cylinder. No issues with the slave cylinder, but when it came time to replace the master, I found that the one I had bought from the US (thanks Josh for helping!) was entirely different in almost every respect. Turns out, Honda has two different clutch master cylinders for the two markets, and they cannot be made to match up. Even the thread for the fluid line is of a different size.

I managed to source a brand new one through Honda, having it shipped up from Melbourne.

Part numbers. USDM on the left, AUDM on the right.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Last night, I heard a sound like a rock bouncing off the bottom of the car, then the battery light started flickering, starting out weak and becoming solid by the time we reached home.

Turns out the lower alternator bolt sheered off. Had it fixed this morning and the belt retensioned! I'll be buying a genuine bolt from Honda to replace the bit of hardware I used as a quick fix, when I do the Alternator/AC and PS belts.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4ws
    Thats happened to me before, even the genuine bolts snap, get high tensile, and you'll be safe forever!

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si4ws Turbo
    yep, I use a high tensile bolt and nut on the H23 alt

As Koz said, even the stock one will snap. Or even back out if it vibrates loose.
    ~Ian~

Anything thing I say is my opinion, all care, but no responsibility taken.

1989 Prelude Si Turbo - Laguna gold - Progress thread index or My Garage
    Prelude Australia POTM - June 2009 ..... Prelude Power POTM - July 2010
    2006 CBR1000RR - Silver Metallic - Clicky

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    si 4ws TURBO
    just for eveyones info reguarding the clutch master cyclinders , buying the USDM cyclinder off ebay is still going to be alright as the internal plunger , spring etc etc will fit into the AUDM housing . i have done this with no leaks and feels great .

GARAGE : http://www.preludeaustralia.com/foru..._vehicle&id=30

BUILD THREAD : http://www.preludeaustralia.com/foru...o-3rd-gen-lude

VIDEOS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usazsV_c_zU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psgNZjLqRrw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRn-1Oeashw

Quote Originally Posted by SAKI View Post
    PS: Can't wait to see your beast in action.. going to be one the highest power 3rd gens out there i reckon..
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    I am going down now to show them mine....

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Quote Originally Posted by phattzy View Post
    just for eveyones info reguarding the clutch master cyclinders , buying the USDM cyclinder off ebay is still going to be alright as the internal plunger , spring etc etc will fit into the AUDM housing . i have done this with no leaks and feels great .
    Yea I considered it, but went ahead and bought a brand new proper one anyway. I got mine from a US Honda dealership though

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws

Some brand new parts, Eibach lowering springs, 1.5 drop. Might put these on coupled with Tokico struts.
    Thanks AngryLarry!!