Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    ATTS

Mounting splits in the doors

I was told today that the space for speakers in the doors of the 5th gen is very limited and that very shallow speakers have to be used. I am wanting to put in the $700 JL Audio splits from JB Hi Fi, but I was told that I would need spacers, which I believe would then mean that I could not use the stock covers for the speakers.

I would like to put some high end splits in the doors whilst leaving the car with a stock look, but I would like to know what my options are. Has anyone else tried the speakers I am looking for?

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Manual H22A
    Who's your source? Why don't you pull the panel and take a look at it yourself, and bring the speaker in for reference?

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    ATTS
    I was talking to a bloke in the car audio section at JB Hi Fi... he said that he knew about the space in the 5th Gen Prelude...

I don't want to purchase the speakers until I know if they are going to fit or not, and my car is currently being resprayed, so I don't actually have it with me at the moment...

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Manual H22A
    http://www.preludeonline.com/f31/sto...e-pics-232004/

First post is what you need. It's pretty interesting also however, has the stock height of the speakers too. A few posts down is a good read also.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Si
    Are these the JL C5s? if so, I have them. They're the top range, sound is absolutely mind blowing, mind you my setup is about 4k worth now >.<

Regarding fitment, the stock speakers are 6", these are 6 1/2" so they do not fit directly into stock spots.
    And you're right in saying that they are a lot deeper than the stock.

What me and my cousin did (he works in JB and sold me the speakers, he also used to be an installer) is once we took the whole door trim off, he cut out the plastic cone that restricts the depth of the speaker. There's also a nice little spot at the back of the door trim for the cross-overs.

We tried many combinations of spacers, but the problem you will come to, is that the speaker mount in the door is angle/sloped, it is not flat! therefore a spacer does not actually line up at all!
    What we had to do for now was put the speaker into the speaker mount, and drill new holes into the plastic to make it sit, as none of the holes line up due to the speaker being 1/2" bigger than stock and so deep as well.

Eventually we're going to make custom molds out of the stock speaker covers and glass it all smooth, but for now, they're in securely and doing the job. incredibly well too.

I'll go out and take some pics of them how they're sitting now, so I can show you!
    Also, which JB did you go to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    Did you hear about the Dyslexic Agnostic Insomniac.....

He lay awake all night, wondering if there really was a DOG....!!

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Si
    Ok, here are the pics!
    This is driver side

This is passenger side

And a close up of each screw so you can get a good idea

So you can see we've only got 2 screws holding each speaker in atm, but they're not going anywhere! we will eventually be making the fibreglass mounts for them, not sure when though.

Only thing to be careful of doing it this way, is you don't want to be taking them out often, since you're making your own thread in the plastic, you don't want to wear this out, or they won't hold, and there's not too many places where you can get 2 opposite holes to line of to a good drilling spot.

Hope that all makes sense to you, any other questions feel free to PM me, or just reply in here

Generation
    Non Honda
    Matt, do the stock speaker grills snap in place over the top with that setup? Or do you just have the speaker exposed?
    Everything buffs out with the right amount of elbow grease

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Si
    speaker is exposed, because it's too wide to fit snug, so it pokes out too much to get the stock covers over. hence we will eventually be making mounts and fibreglassing it all in eventually

Generation
    Non Honda
    Sweet, thanks for the confirmation, I may just have to copy your mounting
    Everything buffs out with the right amount of elbow grease

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Si
    Where they are now is fine. The sound quality is still fantastic even though it's not 100% air sealed where it is and they are very secure.