Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    vti-r

Talking Build log: Stinger's H23 VTEC BB6

hey guys, I'm pretty terrible at writing these sorts of things but this is just a sort of introductory post really, and maybe to see if I can find anything out about my 'new' car's history.

Just as a bit of back story first up. This is my first car and I have been looking for the right prelude for the last 15 months. My dad was also a panel beater for over 15 years and is now working for RACV/NRMA so knows a lot of people in the industry as well as having loads of experience fixing cars which I am immensely lucky and grateful of.

So I bought her at auction from Manheim here in Victoria with a damaged front end and a cracked sump (more on that later)

98 prelude vti-r manual with 201,000 on the clock

she looked straight and had a clean interior

but there were 2 issues at hand

firstly, what on earth was this?

I knew that the AUS vti-r only came with a black valve cover :S I turned to google and found 3 options; H22A with a swapped valve cover, H23A from a JDM accord SiR or a F20B from another model of JDM accord. With no way of telling what engine it is without checking the stamp on the engine I had to wait until auction day

Secondly, the writing on the front windscreen. "Cracked sump. Do not start!" This again was something that I would have no idea about until auction day and viewing. Either it was a simple fix, bolt on a new sump or the car needed a new engine altogether.

My dad was having huge difficulty in seeing how the sump was cracked with the damage shown, and came up with the conclusion that it must have happened at the auction site because of a forklift lifting it up to be moved. What backed this theory up is that the writing was in different colour than everything else. Thank god his theory turned out to be true!

So any ways, auction day comes around and I'm nervous as all hell, only ever been to one auction before at which the prelude I was looking at sold way over my budget. We register and everything fine and set off to find my blue lude. But couldn't for the life of us find it! D;

After asking a few staff, we found that some cars aren't actually available for viewing and the blue lude was one of them unavailable that day D: So after some cussing and other banter we decide to stick it out and just put some low bids on it. I wont detail the auction much but in the end I won it for $1,150 including auction associated costs, could have gotten it for even less if there wasnt someone on the internet driving the price up >.<"

My day was made pretty much (on top of winning the car, I also found out that I got a new job!) I wasnt able to stick around at the auction as I had an exam to get to and dad had work. So it was organised for the car to be delivered the next day to my house.

So that should be the end of the block of text, HERE ARE THE PICTURES

Edit: Due to some restriction of 10 images per post, see next post
    Last edited by Stinger; 6th January 2015 at 09:16 PM.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    vti-r
    outside my house

A little hippo tow hook buddy

moved into the driveway (use this pic for comparison once cleaned)

H23A VTEC!

Gave her a bath

all dry~

so that is basicly where she sits now, going to clean the interior sometime next week as I have a full on weekend

just as a run down of what needs doing (not completely in order):
    -clean interior
    -new bonnet
    -new sump
    -new headlights (I hate those halo ones anyways)
    -possibly new new front bumper
    -get body kit (Looking for OEM lip kit! let me know if your selling)
    -paint front end, body kit and rear bumper
    -clean engine bay
    -new wheel for roadworthy (one is slightly bent)
    -more stuff, just need to remember what

cheers for looking, and congratz if you actually got through all that text. I'll try to keep this log updated as much as I can.

Also i'm sort of interested to find out any information about this car and why it has a H23A swap, so if you've seen it or know who used to own it shoot me a PM
    Last edited by Stinger; 6th January 2015 at 10:18 PM.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Si
    Shit.

That's awesome!!! I think saki is the only one with a h23 vtec... but he doesn't own a 5th gen lol
    ʍǝɹɔ uʍop ǝpısdn

私の進行中のスレッドを確認してください
    Quote Originally Posted by lommytam2342 View Post
    Hey Furo, whats the finger spacing for your rear?
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Eevil View Post
    How much do I have to pay you or how much dick do I have to suck to get you to take me for a ride?!

Generation
    5th Gen
    Always nice to see a prelude be born again...looking forward to a build thread on its undoubtedly painful birth...however, owning one of these especially with a H23 will be the happiest days of your life...so much so i'd advise you add vasectomy to the list of mods as this will always be the golden child

Generation
    5th Gen
    Trolling aside...I'm excited to see this thing come to life again good luck man!

migoreng
    A guy in Sydney that wanted to buy my previous Enkei wheels claimed to have a h23 vtec 5th gen. I know he's a member but doesn't post..or maybe the lude belongs to his girl friend.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si
    Nice buy, you'd be hard pressed to buy that motor alone for double the price. I don't have bluetop renzo, just a plain old no-tec H23A. Seismic has a real bluetop project and Adrenalin has built one.
    Interesting that it looks pretty much stock other than the motor, i'd be curious of the history too..
    Quote Originally Posted by brash22 View Post
    You sir are mad. Like lock you in the nuthouse mad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabir View Post
    You sir are a prelude obsessed freak.
    Quote Originally Posted by hiru View Post
    you sir, are a prelunatic.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    vti-r
    Quote Originally Posted by SAKI View Post
    Nice buy, you'd be hard pressed to buy that motor alone for double the price. I don't have bluetop renzo, just a plain old no-tec H23A. Seismic has a real bluetop project and Adrenalin has built one.
    Interesting that it looks pretty much stock other than the motor, i'd be curious of the history too..
    cheers for the support guys, I'm going into exams over these next few weeks so there wont be much to report on, maybe i'll just clean the interior and see if anything needs fixing up with that. I know the inside handles are a bit worn.

in the mean time I'll probably be looking for a wings west lip kit (mainly after sides and rear) and an OEM front lip. Already PM'd one guy on Prelude Power, waiting on a response.

@SAKI, well the callipers are painted red, and it has halo lights (which are ugly as **** ) but other than that its stock as a rock. I'm yet to fully look under it but I'm pretty sure exhaust is stock as well.

Edit: I'm also sorta looking for some wheels from a civic sport, same as these but the charcoal version. So if anyone comes across some for sale, gimme a shout!

Generation
    Non Honda
    Nice colour!
    Everything buffs out with the right amount of elbow grease

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Si
    Quote Originally Posted by SAKI View Post
    For some reason I typed your name, but really meant seismic hahaha
    ʍǝɹɔ uʍop ǝpısdn

私の進行中のスレッドを確認してください
    Quote Originally Posted by lommytam2342 View Post
    Hey Furo, whats the finger spacing for your rear?
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Eevil View Post
    How much do I have to pay you or how much dick do I have to suck to get you to take me for a ride?!

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    i have a set of stock headlights for sale if you're interested, no yellowing or anything bad like that, let me know if you're interested

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    vti-r
    how much are you after?

Edit: PM sent
    Last edited by Stinger; 11th November 2012 at 07:18 PM.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    vti-r
    Hey guys, just a small update. Ive got sunday off work so Dad and I are going to try and get the car going this weekend (find and install a sump, and do what ever else the motor needs to start and run). I'll also have a mate over to help out a bit and we will be installing a front spoiler onto his DC2

stay tuned for pics n' shit ;D

also I'm seeking advice regarding WW body kits here: http://www.preludeaustralia.com/foru...-lip-questions
    any help is appreciated

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    vti-r
    **UPDATE TIME**

semi big weekend just gone, full of part gets.

Came home from work on saturday and Dad has already put the car up onto the ramps to get underneath and have a look, sorry dont have any pictures of the old sump, didnt get around to it.

didnt do much on saturday, aside from putting in charged up battery and checking that central locking, sunroof and lights all work. stereo doesn't, as last owner pulled the system out and just chucked in a old head unit.

sunday was a hella busy day, started it off by removing old sump which required taking off the cross member and engine pipe of the exhaust first and then removing engine stiffiner. took us about 45 mins but came off pretty easy.

then it was off to the wreckers were we scrounged a new sump and some other bits and bobs off another vtir prelude. following stash was obtained.

various interior pieces and good condition bonnet lock

LHS front guard liner

came home, had lunch, and installed a front lip onto my mates 96 integra. was a bitch to put on because it was a cheapie ebay lip so there were some imperfections on the top part. defiantly put me off buying a ebay replica kit

*PICS COMING*

watched the v8's, had dinner, then it was off to Thomas town to pick up a set of stock sawblades for the lude. I should clarify that 2 of the wheels currently on my lude have dints on the side of the rims. But i got these for an absolute bargain. $41, with tyres.

That was basic it for the weekend, but tonight my dad came home with these two goodies. Picked up from hondwreck. Gasket maker is for the sump, its aluminium so does not need an actual gasket, aside from a small one on the drivers side ridge which we will be sourcing tomorrow. In the box is a new oil filter

other than that here are a few more pics of around the car I havnt uploaded yet.

damage to the front, dad will pull it out from the bonnet lock. did a similar repair on my mates integra about 8 months ago when some dickhead backed into him in a car park.

The mighty h23a

interior door panels, both handles are cracked and peeling, also drivers side CF trim has seen better days. I'm looking at getting a full new CF trim kit including centre console.

the car has 2 of these things behind and under the steering wheels, i believe they are to do with the security. (the one under the steering wheel has attempted to be removed previously and the dash has been torn a little )

also the car has this sticker on it, which is from some defunkt N/A forum that organised meets and track days. hoping the engine hasnt been trashed.

thats all for now, car is currently sitting with sump held on with 2 bolts to prevent dust getting up in her.
    Last edited by Stinger; 11th March 2015 at 10:55 PM.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4WS
    Vent will be for the AC/climate control.

Tipping the switch is for some auxiliary lighting. Checked for undercars, or possibly those fogs.