Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu

Generation
    Non Honda
    Model
    AUII XR8 220

Kung Fu

So, i have been doing Kung Fu since Feb this year.
    Just passed my first grading, so now have my Level 1 stripe.

Doing Southern Style.
    Currently only learnt general barehands techniques (including beginner 16 form) and some cudgel (again including beginner 16 form).
    Now that i have passed my Level 1 grading I will be going on to 24 Barehands form and intermediate 16 Cudgel form.
    Also doing a Southern Broadsword (Nan Dao) workshop in Oct to learn the 36 form in that weapon.

I am learning through an offshoot of the Golden Lion Academy. http://www.goldenlion.com.au/
    My brother-in-law has started the offshoot (Ringwood and Croydon "regional centres").
    He has been studying with Golden Lion for over 14 years, is a 2nd Degree Black Belt.

Anyone else study anything like this?
    A completed modified car is an ever changing goal that can never truly be achieved.
    CLICK to see my progress towards this impossible end.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    No but we study Taiji in high school it's part of PE

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTi-R
    I often wonder how effective kung fu is on the street, never undestood it
    Last edited by curtis265; 7th September 2012 at 07:38 PM.

Generation
    Non Honda
    Got to the 5th level....green or blue...one of them in Southern Style Mantis with a bit of ape, as well as Tai Chi.
    I think I got up to the 32 form?

It was a couple of years ago now, so I don't particularly remember much of it but it's all in muscle memory anyway
    Everything buffs out with the right amount of elbow grease

Generation
    4th Gen
    There was a few kung fu guys in early mma but none of them stood much chance against more practical forms like brazlian jui jitsu so probably not too effective in street fight, but some kicks and forms look cool

Generation
    4th Gen
    Btw I had a free lesson in rowville golden lion years ago, one of the trainers had some good history behind his belt, world champ a few times? Older asian guy

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Manual H22A
    I do Muay Thai, have been for nearly three years. I don't know what other form of martial art would be effective on the streets apart from boxing, kickboxing, judo and jiu-jitsu. I might be wrong...

Generation
    Non Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    I do Muay Thai, have been for nearly three years. I don't know what other form of martial art would be effective on the streets apart from boxing, kickboxing, judo and jiu-jitsu. I might be wrong...
    I'd say you're nearly right. If you did have to fight someone on the streets with experience, you'd be best with one of those arts, kung fu does help though if the other person has no idea what they're doing. I guess it just comes down to mastering your art

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Manual H22A
    I didn't mean to offend anyone or anything by the way! Massive props to doing a form of martial arts, it's just I am a little bias.

Generation
    Non Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    I didn't mean to offend anyone or anything by the way! Massive props to doing a form of martial arts, it's just I am a little bias.
    I completely see your point though xD

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    i did Budo Bujinkan Taijutsu for a while, better known as Ninjutsu, i really enjoyed it and the techniques were very applicable to street combat should someone attack, even with some of the more traditional techniques such as sword to bare hand combat, most of it was getting the other person into a lock through self defense and counter attacks to pressure and painful nerve points and doing as much damage with as little effort as possible, than attacking the other person, lol, i wish i could still be doing it but work got in the way, i still remember most of what i learned too which is a bonus, even some of the most basic stuff i learned would be enough to fend off a street attacker

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Vti-R
    I started doing martial arts when I was about 13 years old. And been teaching for about 28 years. (on and off)

Probably the most street effective martial, is Krav Maga.

It teaches real world, and truly effective technique and tactics...
    http://www.preludeaustralia.com/foru..._view&id=12025
    Link to my garage.^^^^

When words fail, VTec speaks!

Quote Originally Posted by EXO8IC View Post
    My car is a twin turbo and has a blow valve with another little valve thing attached which silences that WOOSH (which I HATE) but it makes more of a strange sucking noise which can be heard quite loudly from my vents on the bonnet. It's quite odd...

Generation
    5th Gen
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    I started doing martial arts when I was about 13 years old. And been teaching for about 28 years. (on and off)

Probably the most street effective martial, is Krav Maga.

It teaches real world, and truly effective technique and tactics...
    **** pacman... So not only were you an international body builder but your an expert at Krav Maga? You wouldn't hurt a fellow PAer would you... right?

But but from (limited) understanding about Krav Maga, it doesn't deal in half measures, very absolute, broken bones, dislocations, death. Isn't the idea of Krav Maga to dispatch/kill your opponent where other martial arts (such as jui jistu) are about subduing your opponent? I can understand a need to kill if your oponent was wielding something that had potentially lethal force (not counting fists here) but for most "street" fights normally knocking the crap out of someone is enough, much more then that and your risking some serious legal action.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Si
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Eevil View Post
    **** pacman... So not only were you an international body builder but your an expert at Krav Maga?
    When you live to be as old as Pacman, one is able to pick up a few hobbies along the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    Did you hear about the Dyslexic Agnostic Insomniac.....

He lay awake all night, wondering if there really was a DOG....!!

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Vti-R
    Bit of a miss understanding here guys, I said I think krav maga is probably the best real world style.

I haven't done that much of it myself.

I trained in Togakure Ryu. The most Krav Maga I've done was when one of my old students (and best friends) did out for a couple of years.
    He and I still train together, so he shares techniques when we train. Also I went to a seminar with him once, and trained for a day with one of the worlds best Krav Maga instructors. It's a good style.

I don't believe much in half measures. If things get to a point that you have to use physical force to ensure you, or your families safety. Do out properly, do out once. I'd rather wind up in court our in jail, than dead or at the funeral of a loved one.....
    http://www.preludeaustralia.com/foru..._view&id=12025
    Link to my garage.^^^^

When words fail, VTec speaks!

Quote Originally Posted by EXO8IC View Post
    My car is a twin turbo and has a blow valve with another little valve thing attached which silences that WOOSH (which I HATE) but it makes more of a strange sucking noise which can be heard quite loudly from my vents on the bonnet. It's quite odd...