Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Hey Raysian, if you're looking for a manifold / turbo thats going to fit - why not buy my old setup...
    Send me a PM if you're interested.

From the looks of your PVC mockup - you're not going to get too far... trust me I've fabricated my own top mount.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Vtir
    I know, i just wanna see how far i can go with it, i want a topmount i have looked at your manifold and im still considering it, if mine doesnt work but im after the satisfaction of doing as much as i can.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Vtir
    Quote Originally Posted by pure_oxyg3n View Post
    Most suppliers only stock either 304 or 316 when it comes to stainless steels I think man.
    316 must be it then, better for turbo and more expensive

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Vtir
    Quote Originally Posted by phattzy View Post
    id use steam pipe over anything else . my manifold is a custom steam pipe manifold . go see some fabricators and ask about steam pipe . im pretty sure ian has a steam pipe manifold aswell .
    Ive sourced a place and ill give em a call, hopefully ill get some pipe within the week and put together a collector soon after

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si4ws Turbo
    have you got stainless welding experience?

Mild steel is better, has a lower rate of expansion when heated so less likely to crack. Stainless looks nice when it's new, but it ends up looking just like the steel after a while.

Steel with ceramic coating is the way to go.
    ~Ian~

Anything thing I say is my opinion, all care, but no responsibility taken.

1989 Prelude Si Turbo - Laguna gold - Progress thread index or My Garage
    Prelude Australia POTM - June 2009 ..... Prelude Power POTM - July 2010
    2006 CBR1000RR - Silver Metallic - Clicky

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Vtir
    Nah man no welding experience, probably going to take a course and practise, but i realise i will probably have to hand the Manifold tacked together for welding by someone. But as adrenalin pointed out this will depend on the progress ill make on the manifold. If it doesnt work ill still enjoy the experience =]

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Listen to Ian. You're going to want Mild Steel. Its far easier to learn to weld on. Uless you want to spend the money on gas for TIG you're going to need to get a flux core MIG or stick which will be a lot more porus and you may not end up getting it to seal properly.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    si 4ws TURBO
    this is why i love this site , so much useful info .

GARAGE : http://www.preludeaustralia.com/foru..._vehicle&id=30

BUILD THREAD : http://www.preludeaustralia.com/foru...o-3rd-gen-lude

VIDEOS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usazsV_c_zU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psgNZjLqRrw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRn-1Oeashw

Quote Originally Posted by SAKI View Post
    PS: Can't wait to see your beast in action.. going to be one the highest power 3rd gens out there i reckon..
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    I am going down now to show them mine....

Generation
    4th Gen
    I would want to tig weld even on mild steel cause more penetration in the weld and a smaller heat affected zone meaning less surface area prone to cracking. Plus it's alot neater. Mig would still be fine however.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Vtir
    I would want tig welds as well, but with inexperience this would be hard. Is there a welder that can do tig mig and flux core mig? All together in one unit, since I want to learn I wanna try my hand at each.

I've seem welders at bunnings for around 300? Would these be any good? Or will I be walking into problems, I'll report back with specs .
    Thanks for the info guys it really helps cheers

Generation
    4th Gen
    Flux core mig is mig welding with no gas.. It has a flux on it, it generally doesn't look very pretty but it's often the easiest option for the backyard welder since gas bottles aren't cheap. My bottle of argon (for tig welding) cost me bout 350 bucks. The welder cost me 2000 lol. There are machines that do mig, tig, and stick but they are very expensive. If your gonna buy your own welder and do yourself unless u plan on using it alot ur probably better off just using flux core (gas less) mig.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si4ws Turbo
    Ray - you'll pay more for a quality welder than a shop will charge for a custom manifold (or what you'd pay adrenalin for his setup), might be worthwhile if you plan on doing a lot of welding in the future, but if your primary goal is welding your manifold, it'll be an expensive way to go.
    ~Ian~

Anything thing I say is my opinion, all care, but no responsibility taken.

1989 Prelude Si Turbo - Laguna gold - Progress thread index or My Garage
    Prelude Australia POTM - June 2009 ..... Prelude Power POTM - July 2010
    2006 CBR1000RR - Silver Metallic - Clicky

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    And then you've got materials and other tools like angle grinders / cut off saws / flap discs etc. I've forgotten how much welding related tooling I've purchased.
    If you were already an experienced welder, I'd say go for it. With no experience, you've got a long and steep learning curve.

A $300 welder isn't going to cut it. In fact, a $300 welder won't cut it for pretty much any job except maybe some light duty panel repairs.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Vtir
    Ok so after much thought and consideration, im going to leave to a professional. So i called up exotic exhausts and pitched them what i have done with the mock up and that its for a prelude....imediately after that he says "do you know steve?" Haha so that was a good laugh.
    Anyway he says to finish up my mockup and have it sitting how i want it and he'll give it a once over and put it all together for about 900.
    If its gonna turn out like steves its a price im happy with... yeah steve thats a compliment lol

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Vtir
    ok a little update
    the final pod cover is sewed on and hopefully i can get it finished today and possibly installed =] pics to come.
    ive been looking at parts to buy more to the point intercoolers.
    after talking it through with steve and looking at piping space an air to air intercooler was looking pretty grim. so im going to walk the path of an liquid air intercooler.
    i was planning on using a barrel intercooler simple and it being straight there will be less bend losses in flow.

it claims to be rated up to 350hp and able to hold 390cfm, but from my calculations i would need approximately 500cfm ( if someone could correct me on this i would appreciate this, to get that number i think i used 85000 rpm with a boost pressure of 10psi, i over estimated this because i am planning on running higher boost later and if this intercooler would work for both setups, win)
    going with the assumption that 500 is correct, the barrel intercoolers would work but, the prelude being blessed with many things space just isnt one of them.

so now im deciding on this one

rated to 600hp and holds 700cfm
    which according to my calculations means i would be able to boost up to 19psi.
    thoughts? problems with my logic? opinions? constructive criticism is sought after =]
    cheers