Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Generation
    Non Honda
    ^^^basically it doesn't matter how awesome you think your car is, another will always be able to beat it on some road in some kind of conditions.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    ^^NO! Prelude is the best at everything in every situation. End rant

Generation
    5th Gen
    no drivetrain loss so it'd be quicker, tbh I think Honda have got preludes pretty well sorted compared to many front wheel although the package would be awsome as rear wheel. You also have the convenience of the diff/gearbox at front so less maintenance and less to go wrong...in theory lol.

I've driven many different front wheels and most understeer easier than the prelude, even with bad tyres up front the car still feels pretty neutral. I had a celica with a rear sway bar and it had a worse balance than the prelude does stock even with same sway bars front and rear. Very well balanced for an early front wheel car, considering its more luxury aswell.

Also wet weather the prelude isn't as horrible to drive as most front wheels, this is really the reason why I didn't want a front wheel again as most understeer so easily in the wet but the prelude seems to stick pretty well but ofc understeers at limit.

That all said I still really wish it was rear wheel, the balance is awsome and it'd be awsome having the rear wheels push you out of a corner with that balance.
    Last edited by Euphoria; 19th June 2012 at 02:43 PM.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTi-R
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry_GT-R34 View Post
    This behaviour absolutely pisses off falcodores that are following behind because
    a) when they brake hard with extra weight, unless they've got Brembos, they're inclined to get brake fade on country roads
    b) on exit from corners, so long as its not a steep uphill climb, they're too far behind to do a quick pass
    c) on sweepers, they have to watch their line more carefully
    lol this truth

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4WS
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry_GT-R34 View Post
    By the 4th bend the Falcon was into a bush rock wall!
    Thats a shame, and he had just filled up with petrol too - the driver could have put that money towards repairs instead of leaving it in his tank while the car was repaired!

Seriously though the GTR had Hicas(4WS) and AWD, and was probably the one car that caused more change to V8's and controversey in Aussie racing in my lifetime than any other car. Godzilla was just too good.

AWD would have been great, and in terms of handling I always thought would have made more sense than RWD, but increase costs in productin, means higer sale price, meaning less sales - may not have been worth it for Honda? I dont know but I am proud to say I own a piece of automotive history - the ONLY mechanical 4WS system ever* made.

*EVER.... 'cause I cant see someone reproducing that system nowdays.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTi-R
    hey Terry, this hicas has made a few of my mates spin out already...

what's the deal, how does it work?

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    I stand by my first comment that the 3g would have handled better if it was RWD. It would probably also have better aftermarket support too.

81 x 95..... probably could have made a decent tractor engine

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    The Prelude is FWD to give everyone else a fighting chance of keeping up.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si VTEC
    I perosnaly reckon if a 4th and 5th gen came out in AWD aswell as a standard FWD it wouldv'e been MAAAAAAD they have a shell that suits AWD feature

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTiR
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    hey Terry, this hicas has made a few of my mates spin out already...

what's the deal, how does it work?

Hicas > speed sensors and steering pump powers the hydraulic system to turn the rear wheels up to 10 degrees

Super Hicas > computerised electric actuator controls the rear steering rack in lieu of sensors making this later system lighter

Best Shape Award = 4th Gen Prelude + Best Bang For Your Buck Award = R34 GT-R N1

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    have any of you guys seen the Australian Rally driving they show on Channel One? so many of the cars competing in the two wheel drive class are front wheel drive, including a Honda Jazz and a Mazda 2, they're competing against cars like Silvias and V8 utes and the FWD cars were winning from what i saw, i know the Jazz was beating the Silvia by quite a bit simply because the RWD of the Silvia made it tail happy through alot of the corners... i know it's Rally driving and the cars are highly modified, but surely it's still the same principle when it comes to what drivetrain they use?

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTi-R
    Yes it's interesting like that

as i said before if you get the weight distribution right you it can be advantageous because you have more traction for putting power down than a RWD would

Generation
    5th Gen
    If the 4th gen and 5th gen were RWD, they would have had much more success and even today would be sought after cars. Honda stayed with FWD, and this served them very well for the Type R Integra and Civic. Honda had an overall different ideology and approach to their cars, but this in itself made Honda so desirable.

An aspect that everyone forgot though was that in the day the Preludes were produced/developed there was no RWD chassis available, excluding the NSX. And, correct me if I am wrong, but the Prelude is built on an Accord chassis, so it was destined to be FWD.

Generation
    5th Gen
    A prelude would have SOLD better as a RWD but that doesn't mean it would be a better car...

Generation
    5th Gen
    Should probably avoid resurrecting older threads. Usually 3 months is the rule but the conversation was long over.