Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS turbobo bro

Question why is the prelude FWD? WHY!?

why did Honda make the prelude FWD? It had the potential to be one of the best sports car ever but people are put off buy the FWD aspect. Surely a car company would know that people prefer sports cars that are RWD or AWD so why did they go with FWD?

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4ws
    Don't put the fwd down, it has great qualities that you simply do not get from a rearwheel drive, the cornering ability of fwd is second to none.

Read this, its some brain food over this debate but this sounds a bit biased towards rwd, I wouldn't say rwd handles better stock.
    http://petjoh.wrytestuff.com/swa51377.htm

The main reason honda made it fwd is because it allows the car to be lighter and have more room inside due to having no transaxle tunnel through the center
    Last edited by Kozman91; 15th June 2012 at 11:31 PM.

Generation
    Non Honda
    Cheap to make, the car is more comfort than peformance hence no need for rwd. 3rd gen would shit on the face of my s2k through twisty mountain roads so don't be so quick to put your car down.

edit: should clarify, a mechanically healthy and well driven 3rd gen will shit on the face of my s2k in twisty mountain roads =P

edit edit:

I thought the prelude was rwd

http://image.superstreetonline.com/f...front_shot.jpg

http://www.preludeclub.in.th/index.p...ach=3540;image

http://www.9kracing.com/wp-content/u..._prelude_4.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3328/...933e698b38.jpg

F20C rwd 3rd gen
    http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...64390394_n.jpg
    Last edited by ego; 15th June 2012 at 11:56 PM.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4ws
    Another thing too, I doubt they would have been able to make the 3g with 4ws and rwd, too much clutter, 4ws takes a fair bit of room, and I'd take 4ws over rwd anyday.
    But on another note I think the market is going to start heading more towards the awd market, those have the best of both worlds.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Easier to make. The third gen handles well because it is light, has good suspension geometry and a low centre of gravity. It would handle better if it was rwd. The weight distribution would be better as the engine is fairly short and could be mounted right up to the firewall. I imagine a rwd third gen would be in a similar league to an E30 or an rx7, both of which have superior handling.

81 x 95..... probably could have made a decent tractor engine

Generation
    Non Honda
    ^^That is the advantage of the S2000, the engine is mounted right up to the firewall, if you've ever seen inside an S2K engine bay the engine ends before the front wheels >>>>weight within wheel base = good handling. This is pretty much the principle of open wheel race cars like F1 and Formula Renault cars though F1's have shithouse handling but incredible grip owing to aero.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Vti-R
    I thought Honda also made Preludes [5th Gen in Particular] FWD because they were supposed to be marketed as a "LUXURY" car and not a race car. Hence, FWD as opposed to RWD seemed better at the time.
    Support Me & the JDM Community By Liking Us! >>> "JDM Obsession!"

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS turbobo bro
    all very interesting guys. i dont want to sound like im hateing on FWD but i think i would prefer a RWD car... prelude drift car HELL YES.

but yea. i would still prefer 4WS to RWD and reverse doughnuts are the best. but idk. understear is still the biggest kill joy ever.

i wana try and get this lift off overseer thing going for me.

Generation
    4th Gen
    or you could try and get this lift off grip thing going, lift off oversteer is a pretty good way to find yourself in a pole

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    ATTS
    Quote Originally Posted by conor07 View Post
    but people are put off buy the FWD aspect.
    Their loss, people who have driven Hondas know that when it comes to FWD handling, Honda knows their shit. People have covered most of the reasons here, only ones I can add are;
    1. It helps keeps the "hoon car" image away, as you never see a Prelude (or any 90's Honda) drifting and powersliding all over the shop
    2. The loss of power going to RWD. Preludes already aren't that fast, but would you want to lob off even more power from a 4th or 5th gen, let alone a 3rd gen? as a general guide, you are looking at 10-15% power loss through a FWD and 18-25% through a RWD which would hurt the 0-100 sprints. The silvias, supras and skylines can take that, but it would leave the integras, preludes and civics pretty gutless.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4ws
    Drifting isn't my kind of thing, looks entertaining but when it comes to speed, its all about the grip.

But back to what I was originally pointing out, both fwd and rwd have advantages and disadvantages, asking a prelude forum which is better is usually going to end in fwd being better, but go to a skyline forum, its rwd all the way, it comes down to personal preference.
    Each to their own.
    Last edited by Kozman91; 16th June 2012 at 12:48 AM.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS turbobo bro
    im not that into drifting, like i would never go to watch an event or anything. i just reckon it would be fun that if every once in awhile when your out somewhere early in the morning you could chuck it sideways roud one or 2 corners. also FWD burnouts and wheels spin looks kinda funny.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4ws
    LOL you'll never see me chucking it side ways on COLD early mornings, or ever on public streets, thats a recipe for disaster, I'll leave that to the commodore dicks hahaha

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS turbobo bro
    lol yea. probs a good idea to go pick up a bomadore for a case of VB to go crash in to poles and that so i dont break the 3rd gen lol i am aware im starting to sound like a massive hoon but i promise im not!! (may contain traces of being a ricer)

Gold Member
    Generation
    5th Gen
    its funny how people jump to the conclusion that a rwd is better than a fwd... it is all in the setup of the car. a well setup fwd civic will run circles around a poorly setup gtr or evo etc etc. yes there may be advantages and disadvantages. however once setup most of the disadvantages can be eliminated.

think of it as fwd, rwd and awd cars have different characteristics, not just FWD is shit because it understeers, because once u get into the circuit side of things, if u say a FWD understeers that a load of bullshit, it is more like that FWD car was poorly setup.