Generation
    Non Honda

Red bull rb8 deemed illegal

Well one of the big stories to come out of Monaco's GP (bigger than Webber's win) was the potential protest by McLaren and other teams of the Red Bull RB8. After initially passing FIA scruitiny in Bahrain it has now been deemed illegal in the plane ahead of the rear wheels which is an 'enclosed hole' for aerodynamic grip (see tech bulletin below). Although McLaren nor any other team launched a protest against Red Bull, the FIA have now clarified the topic.

"It has been argued that as it is not explicity stated that fully enclosed holes cannot be located in a surface lying on the step plane rearward of a line 450mm forward of the rear face of the cockpit template, then they may be located in such areas." they go on to say "We disagree with this view and consider it implicit that fully enclosed holes may not be located there."

The short and the long of it is Red Bull have until the Canadian Grand Prix to remove the fully enclosed holes from the area. So far no penalty has been applied to Red Bull and there is on-going discussion surrounding Sauber and Ferrari who run a similar setup.

http://www.formula1.com/news/technic...2/869/967.html
    Last edited by ego; 3rd June 2012 at 10:42 PM.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTi-R
    At least they didn't change the result. My love of F1 is slowly being eroded by teams constant attempt to overly politicise it.

Generation
    Non Honda
    F1 is a year of political fights and once every couple of weeks a race breaks out. I'm getting more into Moto GP recently as there are any number of lines through corners, overtakes are regular and every race they put their lives on the line. Last night's race had one of the best battles I've watched between Lorenzo and Pedrosa and until 2 laps to go when Lorenzo broke Pedrosa it could have gone either way. F1 is loosing me slowly.