Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Generation
    3rd Gen
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    29

    speedo, brake lamp, park lamp and s4 lamp, engine light

    People I have the mother load of electrical issues. I have done a search on every forum out thre for these cars and have had some great results. I have skimmed through this forum post by post and have gained a lot of knowledge out of it but I need more info and help..I think the engine light is related to this issue

    Ecu is flashing.code 17 vss
    Trans is flashing 4 times which is pulse sensor

    The speedo and odo are inop. I looked at the vss and it is bogged up with a different one seems to be out of a different model. I am having trouble finding the correct one to fit to my car. This one is totally out of wack because the bolts that hold it down don't match up with the mounting points. Are there different vss

    S4 light is pretty much the pulse sensor or the wiring to it but does anyone have any suggestions as to how to correctly diagnose

    Brake lamp light and park light this one is killing me. Turn the car on no lights on dash other then park brake on. Put the park brake down still no lights. But as soon as I press the brake pedal bang they are both on!!
    All globes work brake fluid level is fine. Swapped both sensors for the tail lights for different ones no difference and swapped the brake fluid res cap with different one with no change?

    I know I have an alarm fitted and I think it might be tripping out want to get it out of there just to get things back to basics.

    Any help would be great and please don't write up telling me to use the search function. I did and it helped I'm not a noob and I am a qualified mechanic so I'm no shit kicker.

    Cheers guys

  2. #2
    Silver Member Kozman91's Avatar
    Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4ws
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by dimodavi View Post
    People I have the mother load of electrical issues. I have done a search on every forum out thre for these cars and have had some great results. I have skimmed through this forum post by post and have gained a lot of knowledge out of it but I need more info and help..I think the engine light is related to this issue

    Ecu is flashing.code 17 vss
    Trans is flashing 4 times which is pulse sensor

    The speedo and odo are inop. I looked at the vss and it is bogged up with a different one seems to be out of a different model. I am having trouble finding the correct one to fit to my car. This one is totally out of wack because the bolts that hold it down don't match up with the mounting points. Are there different vss

    S4 light is pretty much the pulse sensor or the wiring to it but does anyone have any suggestions as to how to correctly diagnose

    Brake lamp light and park light this one is killing me. Turn the car on no lights on dash other then park brake on. Put the park brake down still no lights. But as soon as I press the brake pedal bang they are both on!!
    All globes work brake fluid level is fine. Swapped both sensors for the tail lights for different ones no difference and swapped the brake fluid res cap with different one with no change?

    I know I have an alarm fitted and I think it might be tripping out want to get it out of there just to get things back to basics.

    Any help would be great and please don't write up telling me to use the search function. I did and it helped I'm not a noob and I am a qualified mechanic so I'm no shit kicker.

    Cheers guys
    I suggest putting in another VSS module, theres different ones for each generation so you will need a gen3 one, series 1 and series 2 vss are the same, and replacing your dash cluster, when the ecu flashes 17 for vss it can also be related to the speed pulser on the back of the speedo, the vss is mechanical so aslong as its got coolant lines connected they are fairly infallible. If its the speed pulser it would explain the speedo and odo not working. As for the dash lights, id say theres a burnt out wire or circuit somewhere. Again this can be tested by swapping in another cluster.
    As for everything else, could be alot of things haha.

    Also take a pic of the vss, we'll be able to tell you if its the wrong one.

    Good luck tho mate, we're all fairly good here so we'll help you with as much as we can, welcome to the forum
    Last edited by Kozman91; 29th March 2012 at 11:46 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member lorby's Avatar
    Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    882
    The VSS on S1's are mechanical and the S2's are Electronic, not interchangable, make sure you get the correct one, they're quite easy to tell apart (one has a big speedo cable and the other has some wiring instead). Also for noting, it's power steering hoses connected to it not coolant lines, it's for adjusting the power steering pressure when driving at high speeds.

    As for the dash lights not coming properly, check your grounds under the dash. There's one or 2 under there, if one's come loose could be causing dodgy things.

    Actually, I'm just trying to understand the issue, you're saying none of the dash lights up except the park brake light? And all the dash lights come on when you press the brake pedal? Or is the park brake light staying on all the time?

  4. #4
    Silver Member Kozman91's Avatar
    Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4ws
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by lorby View Post
    Also for noting, it's power steering hoses connected to it not coolant lines, it's for adjusting the power steering pressure when driving at high speeds.
    Wow, didnt know that, learning something new is nice lol

  5. #5
    PA Resident SAKI's Avatar
    Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    3,987
    ^^ that's why series 1 speedos wobble, and series 2 don't

    New VSS from honda is around the $200 mark... TOTAL ripoff.. but i drove around for a year with no speedo hoping to find one at wreckers, ebay, anywhere... i didn't

    +1 having trouble understanding exactly what your issue with the lights is?
    Quote Originally Posted by brash22 View Post
    You sir are mad. Like lock you in the nuthouse mad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabir View Post
    You sir are a prelude obsessed freak.
    Quote Originally Posted by hiru View Post
    you sir, are a prelunatic.

  6. #6
    Senior Member DRaKe's Avatar
    Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    XX 4ws
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by SAKI View Post
    but i drove around for a year with no speedo
    Didn't you write down what RPM certain speeds are in certain gears on a post-it note and stick it on your dash?
    Honda: The power of dreams and the stuff of Nightmares
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/DRaKe6900
    My JDM's progress



    Quote Originally Posted by Manabir
    if you sign up on a lancer forum when you post up pics does everyone say "throw on some tezzas, big chromies and the ugliest kit you can find...done"???
    Quote Originally Posted by phattzy View Post
    there are people out there that are stupider then me and that makes me feel better

  7. #7
    Gold Member phattzy's Avatar
    Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    si 4ws TURBO
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    2,981
    Underneath the brake pedal is a switch , try replacing it with another . should be able to get one from a wreakers , and also check the park brake switch on the bottom of the lever . as above S1 has a speedo cable from the vss on the gearbox and in the middle of the cable is a joining nut , undo this and have alook at the little tounge that connects to the cable that goes to the speedo module that's located behind the dash . If the tounge is broken than that's whats going to be the problem with the flashing S4 light on the dash . happened to me when I had a poofmatic in the Lude . see how you go dude .


    GARAGE : http://www.preludeaustralia.com/foru..._vehicle&id=30

    BUILD THREAD : http://www.preludeaustralia.com/foru...o-3rd-gen-lude

    VIDEOS

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usazsV_c_zU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psgNZjLqRrw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRn-1Oeashw

    Quote Originally Posted by SAKI View Post
    PS: Can't wait to see your beast in action.. going to be one the highest power 3rd gens out there i reckon..
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    I am going down now to show them mine....

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Generation
    3rd Gen
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    29
    All valid points and good ideas guys. I spend 4 hours removing the dealer fitted "ungo" alarm system today so I now know that the vehicles wiring is as original. With that said I can no carry on with the diagnostic tests and trouble shooting u guys have mentioned and in the workshop manual. I will also try to get my hands on an intrument cluster. Either way I'll give it a crack? What's the go with swapping ecus and other modules in these cars is it just plug in and play or do they need programming?

    I'll explain the electrical issue I'm having again coz its a bit of a task to get your head around lol

    Firstly I start the car every thing is fine idling. Hand brake light is on because the hand brake is up. I hold the brake pedal and put the hand brake down and then the hand brake light and the brake lamp light both illuminate at the same time and stay on. I shift to drive and head off and then as the box shifts to second I get the s4 light flashing. Then as a third issue I get an engine light come on and stay on when the vehicle is going down hill under light brakes and engine is braking vehicle through gears

    Now with all that said I park the car up and look at my ecu and I get code 17 from the ecu and code 4 from the transmission module.

    How cool is that ay. So there u go guys.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Generation
    3rd Gen
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    29
    Got a game plan guys. Gona go through and get back to basics with all my grounding points. Reading the workshop manual and learning the ground locations for all the issues I'm having. Let ya know how it goes. Heard these cars are bad with ground points

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Generation
    3rd Gen
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    29
    Update on the situation. Brake lamp warning light turned out to be faulty old globes. Tested the circuit and sensors. All were ok. Tested globes all worked but I replaced them all anyway and fixed the issue so keep an eye out for that just coz the globes light up doesn't mean it's all good. $10 fix.

    S4 light was fixed by cleaning solenoids and swapping pulse sensor again do the workshop manual tests to confirm a good circuit

    Speedo was dodgy vss. Yet again went through all circuit and component testing. Opened up my dodgy one and rebuilt it so to speak with bit out of another one I had.

Similar Threads

  1. brake lamp light
    By mari0 in forum Fourth Generation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26th February 2008, 08:11 AM
  2. brake lamp light
    By payLo in forum Fourth Generation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13th September 2006, 12:01 PM
  3. Brake Lamp - Light On
    By michaelmr2 in forum Fourth Generation
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 26th June 2005, 04:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •