Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Yeh sounds about right, his got a switch that's hooked to ecu which changes the tune from 14 -22psi and then the ecu hooks to the stock boost solenoid(gt liberty) and he changed the fuel trimmings himself so on higher boost it runs a bit richer tto save the stock block

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTI-R
    after reading all this. basically you want to run lower boost to prevent any damage happening to your stock motor? or is this to please your father so he gets of your back etc? In my opinion.. get it tuned as pjf said to the maximum boost you can run (lets say 15psi, doesn't mean you have to run it).. then this sorts out the leaning out issue, you run 7psi daily which keeps both parties happy.. then this allows for ideas later on if need be.. cause personally if you bought a turbo'd car to decrease the power output.. i honestly can't see any sense in that, usually you can't get enough power...

Generation
    5th Gen
    thanks for explaining ian that makes a lot more sense.

Thing is that because its the stock motor, on 9psi its tuned to run rich as hell in boost; you can see the black smoke as soon as it hits full boost. and the exhaust tip is covered in soot

the previous owner told me that it would be running lean in vtec (on 3.6 pounds) which confused me as common sense dictates it would still be running rich, however at 3.6 pounds this would be fairly unnecessary

gormz there are many reasons for decreasing power output, main ones include increasing grip which i currently have none of and reducing strain on the motor, 7 pounds seems to be a good number and im not going to miss that 2 pounds

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    si 4ws TURBO
    best thing to do is get it tuned to the max boost you intend on running . if you see black smoke then yes its running rich which is (SAFE) but a wideband will tell all with your A/F .

GARAGE : http://www.preludeaustralia.com/foru..._vehicle&id=30

BUILD THREAD : http://www.preludeaustralia.com/foru...o-3rd-gen-lude

VIDEOS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usazsV_c_zU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psgNZjLqRrw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRn-1Oeashw

Quote Originally Posted by SAKI View Post
    PS: Can't wait to see your beast in action.. going to be one the highest power 3rd gens out there i reckon..
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    I am going down now to show them mine....

Generation
    5th Gen
    i don't have a wideband, i should get an easytune or something and just weld the sensor in myself gah.

I think you are right though, if i get a tune on 7 pounds then leave it there. if i want more power later i might save up for some headwork incl cams etc.

anyway, update: my MBC arrived this arvo ill have a crack at getting it going tomorrow

PS i have an eg4 civic that im desperate to get rid of, rego til march, ill let it go for $2400 mates rates

Generation
    5th Gen
    I'd be cautious about investing any money into the engine internally if it's still stock, it's likely to eventually give out even on 7psi. I don't know that much damage could be done to cams though but I imagine it's probably possible and has been done. Maybe look into it?

Generation
    5th Gen
    thats more of 'down the line' thinking but i know what you mean. a set of bigger cams, stage 2 turbo cams or something would increase my power per pound of boost.

I was just thinking out loud for if i was ever going to head that direction. at the moment i have more than enough power!

as for the 7 pounds i think thats pretty alright when it comes to long term durability, the intercooler is HUGE and well placed, the intake is sucking cold air from the ground and is isolated from the engine bay by an airbox. it was once running 12psi on a daily tune then turned down to 9 because the top end power difference wasn't very big; im guessing due to the stock timing gear, ignition or IM/TB or something.

anyway im sure it will hold together