Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC

Racing advice (and bad story)

Been meaning to put this up in a thread specifically to ask for advice for a while now. Raced on the queens birthday weekend at Winton, so a while back now.

I know the camera angle is very average but you can get a good idea of the lines I took if you're relatively familiar with the track. Unfortunately my Vtecs were playing up for most of the day (a dodgy sensor in the intake manifold I'm guessing, only got CEL out on the track). This lap was one of the only where Vtec held on for the majority- you can hear it struggling to switch cam

Much happier with the way I drove over last time- improved my lap time by ~8 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGDAP...eature=related

Hopefully racing again quite soon, will appreciate the advice.

Car performed fantastic, except for this....
    which only became apparent as I was driving home from the day.
    2 month old tyres, and not cheapies. Both were left-hand tyres, maybe due to the track being mainly right turns?

And definitely not an easy thing replacing 215/40/17s in Benalla at 6pm on a public holiday. Had to nurse the car home on some dodgy 2nd hand common-whore tyres that scrubbed like hell.

Last edited by Cam; 2nd September 2010 at 07:44 AM.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    your braking spots don't seem right for a few corners and also you can take some better lines. The main gears i found with Winton only being there once were 2,3,4 and occasionly 5th.

The tyres look like you overheated them, and this is caused by non-suitable track tyres and / or working them too hard.

What tyres did you have? i know racing honda used adrenalin's and steve atz used yokohamas and they handled track days fine, i used some semi slicks.

I will add your time of 1:53 to the list, also moving thread.
    ------------------------------------
    Winton : 1:48.2
    Sandown : 1:38.3

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    The three times I've been there using firestone firehawks. They've been fine in the past but admittedly were worked harder that time. Which braking spots in particular?

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTiR
    What did you inflate your tyres to Cam?

Also, I'm no expert on Winton but I think you'll shave off some time by using a bit more road in turns 1 and 2, I tend to take a wider line into 3, you can go WOT at 0:27, and cut that corner a bit more, ride over the kerb, basically make that a straight line across the right hand kerb and hard on the brake, late turn in to the next right at 0:33. Try to turn in a little bit later at 1:22 and 1:28, that will let you get on the gas a bit earlier which sets you up for that next straight heading for the chicane. I usually try to sacrifice some entry or mid corner speed in any corner that precedes a straight to get on the gas a bit earlier so that I get a nice slingshot out and achieve higher straight-line speed. The operative word is try, I struggle to heed my own advice once I am on the track, sometimes you just have to slow things down to go faster. Squealing tyres = back off a bit.

Nice lap though mate, it's always easier to commentate but a different story when you're behind the wheel.

SteveATZ was the quickest by far of all the ludes so far on Winton. He was running on Yokohama S.Drives 215/40R17 with Tanabe Sustec Pro-SS and Whiteline sway bars braked by QFM K750 pads. I ran Bridgestone Adrenaline RE001 on the stock 205/55R15 which went on to do another track day and many more kms (still passed RWC when they were put on another lude which was sold!)

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    Doesn't look to me like the tread on the tyre is ripped up or melted enough to have over heated the tyre. Inflation pressure may have had something to do with it but I'd have expected the outer tyre wall to suffer first as it usually sees more load.

To me it looks like a defective tyre.

HOWEVER.

The load rating on the said tyres is only 83. I'd suggest you get a tyre suitable for your car.
    Your minimum load rating for the car is 87.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Wow, that sucks man. I always bring one of my stockies to track days incase I blow a tyre. What pressures did you run?

I find on Winton, the front left heats up a *lot* more than the front right. On the Sneeze Inc track day, which was a warmish day, I had 34 cold on the fronts, which went up to 44 on the front left, 40 on the front right. On that Queen's Bday, it was a lot less since it was a cold day (more like 2 psi discrepancy).

Still, 1:53 is a decent time.

I dunno if I told you, but I ended up hitting 1:57 on that day. Just need to work on harder braking now I think. =)

Does anyone know what a good time is on Winton in a near-stock 3g is?

Generation
    Other Honda

Motorsport

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Doesn't look to me like the tread on the tyre is ripped up or melted enough to have over heated the tyre. Inflation pressure may have had something to do with it but I'd have expected the outer tyre wall to suffer first as it usually sees more load.To me it looks like a defective tyre.
    Two things.

1. Tyre pressures are critical. A race tyre is usually deflated so that it comes up to optimum pressure by the later stages of a race. A street or DOT legal tyre is usually inflated from normal. You're right those tyres don't look to have suffered from meltdown so check your optimum pressure levels with your tyre supplier.

2. Low profile tyres will ALWAYS suffer at the sidewalls from kerb damage. It takes very little to do exactly what your photos show you have done - ripped a patch out of the inner sidewall. Again, it comes down to tyre pressures.

Check this info out and adjust your pressures accordingly, although you may want to invest in a tyre with a higher speed rating or preferably a set of used semi-slicks.

http://www.toyo.com.au/TechInfoPDFs/...%20ratings.pdf

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 10th September 2010 at 10:54 AM.