Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    just a short quick update of todays progress

today was probably the most boring so far... sanding... took me hours to do and me trimmed some bits so they blended with the rest of the body shape and fixed that symmetry problem i mentioned earlier, and i had it ready for painting by 4 this afternoon, a good half day earlier than expected, so tomorrow i'm gonna start on the neck, can't wait =D

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    a bit stressful today with my course, nothing too serious, but i think i fell a bit behind the pace i was going at today when trying to draw my headstock design to full scale... pretty much none of the designs i had worked with the way the headstock and the machine head holes needed to line up... we spent a couple of hours trying to rectify and modify it even to suit the needs, but to no avail, in the end Daz showed me a design from someone elses guitar (not sure if it's of an ex student's of his) and i really liked it, but to be different we changed it slightly to suit my body a bit better

by the end of the day we had the neck drawn onto the piece of maple that we're making it out of as well as the headstock and routed out a hole, after nearly burning the place down again with more wood burning from the router) for the truss rod (steel bar that sits in the neck of a guitar to keep it straight)

on monday i'm going to a wood shop to find a piece of wood to use for the fret board, then on tuesday it's off to the course again to continue working on the neck... it's looking better and better each day =D apparently i'm the fastest progressing student Daz has ever taught... apparently noone's been up to doing the neck after just one week of working on their guitar before, so, i'm pretty happy for myself cause i know at the same time that i've done a good job on it too as well as being efficient in my work =D

anyways, just a few pics from today, nothing too exciting... yet

a quick mock up with the tremolo and pickup plates to see how it looked

a quick mockup of my "finished" guitar with the headstock on a piece of paper to see how it fit

the design of the neck on the wood and with the truss rod well routed out =D

Generation
    Non Honda
    Coming along nicely, like the design you've gone with a lot.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    thanks

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si-Vtec
    Looking sweet man! Makes me wanna make one.
    Want to see my car? Click here!

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Leather
    i might have to get you to make me one when i learn to play.. lol that guitar looks wicked
    3RD GEN LUDER--------------------

Ricing It Up alil'

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    hehe, sure, though i'd have to go out and buy some tools... or hire them... but i'd love to build guitars for people... if they paid me, of course =p

and thanks =D i can't wait to see it all put together and finished, lol

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    i didn't exactly do alot today, was debating whether or not to wait till tomorrow afternoon and recap over two days instead of just doing today, but what the hell, i did more than i thought when i looked back over the day

on monday i went to get a nice jet black piece of african ebony... that they didn't have any of cut up, but said they would... and called me later saying they had some bits, hopefully they still will when i go there tomorrow morning and hopefully they'll be size enough for what i need too.. more concerned about the thickness than the length and width... but it should be all good =D

anyways, today i got there and the instructor had my body all primed up and ready for it's first wet rub before another coat of primer and probably another coat still after the second one, then the paint =D the only reason i'm not applying the primer or paint or anything like that is because it's apparently too costly for the materials to teach someone how to do it and then have them stuff up something and ultimately ruin the entire look of the guitar with a crappy paint job... but i don't mind cause it means i know i'll be getting a good paint job... and i knowmy painting skills are definitely not up to scratch... i failed art alot worse than i failed wood work, lol

on the neck side of things we got the design cut out and sanded down and rilled the holes for the machine heads... there's still a fair bit of work left to go on the actual shaping of the neck, but when it's done it'll be well worth the effort =D i think before we do anything else i need to have that piece of wood, so i'm considering going with a different kind of wood to use for the fret board if they don't have any ebony that i want, maybe rosewood or something, but till tomorrow, here's a couple of pics of the primed up body and the neck after being cut out and sanded

the body (it's actually pink, it doesn't really look it in the photo, that's just the primer though)

the neck

i'm getting really excited about seeing the end product... i've done so much in so little time... i really thought this would take a hell of alot longer than it has... i'm actually really proud of myself for once

Generation
    Non Honda
    Model
    Si 4ws
    wow Baz, this is some great work. I have a mate who builds guitars in his spare time, and it takes him a lot longer than this.

You may as well wait to get the fretboard wood you want instead of jumping the gun and being disappointed later on that it wasn't how you wanted it.

What are you going for in the neck? Personally I prefer a flat, fast neck.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si-Vtec
    Nice! Looks soooooooo smooth!
    Want to see my car? Click here!

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    thanks for the compliments =D

as for the fret board, i went there and they did have some ebony for me, so, i grabbed a piece (cost me almost $50 for a piece 7cm x 53cm x 1cm) which i then took to my course and we sanded it down smooth and ready to put in the inlay and frets

today we didn't really get much done... probably about an hour and a half of work cause he had tax stuff to do and a customer of his was pushing him to finish two days early on something he wanted done, so i was happy to let him have the afternoon without me... i had a minor accident when i went to test fit my neck just to see what it look like on the body... it fits perfectly... but then i was dumb enough to do it over the edge of a table, so, naturally it fell off and the very tip of the headstock at the top broke off... it was a pretty clean break, but good thing nothing's going there except paint, so, a bit of glue and it should be all good

as for the neck, i haven't started rounding it yet, but i reckon a nice rounded back and thin enough so it sits in the palm comfortably when you hold it should be pretty good... alas, i know nothing about how to curve it... i'm guessing it's gonna be a shiteload of sanding... but eh, i look forward to doing it so i can get it onto the guitar and finish building it =D

i'm still waiting for those pickups too... i was hoping to have them by now =(

anyways, the only picture i got today was of the piece of ebony i got after i got back into my car to go to my course, lol... apparently ebony dust is toxic to humans as well... good thing i didn't find that out the hard way, lol

here's the pic (it's actually a lot darker in colour than it looks... it's actually black with faint white lines running through the rain of it)

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Leather
    i made a pen out of that kind of wood with gold bits, looked awsome, then i lost it
    3RD GEN LUDER--------------------

Ricing It Up alil'

Generation
    Non Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonricerprelude View Post
    i made a pen out of that kind of wood with gold bits, looked awsome, then i lost it
    Cool story Hansel.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    XX 4WS
    Nice work, I love the design

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    thanks i reckon it'll be even better when it's done though just a guess