Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC

Baz's "Other" Progress Thread

hey guys, some of you probably read in another thread that i'm starting a guitar building course, and i am, today was my first day on the course, and it was actually really fun... i went in with a block of wood and a few other bits, not really able to imagine the design i had already shown the instructor previously on the bit of wood i had and i had some what low hopes of my design being able to work the way i wanted it

but after the instructor found a spare piece of wood to use to glue on to make it a little bit longer so my design could fit (the pplace i got my wood from sent me a piece of wood big enough for a Fender Telecaster, but i needed one for a Stratocaster shape, thus the little bit of wood needed) and after about 3 or so hours of drawing, i had my design from a mere MS Paint drawing, to a full size lead pencil drawing on a piece of wood, and my low hopes are now high hopes as it looks even better than i thought it would... before i couldn't even imagine my design on t he piece of wood, but now with the design on there, i can imagine the finished product, and both the instructor and myself think it'll be a really great guitar

anyways, here's some pics of 1 day's progress

the original design (drawn on MS Paint and was only really intended as a rough idea of what i wanted):

the piece of wood i had:

and here's the end result after day 1 (my design on the wood and the extra bit... unglued):

next day is next tuesday, so, hopefully glue doesn't take longer than that to dry, and then next tuesday i can begin cutting and shaping the piece of wood =D can't wait!

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    I have a feeling it'll look wierd where you've joined it... unless you're painting/coating the wood?

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    yeah, it's gonna be painted a solid colour, some sort of white is what i've got planned, with a black scratch plate and shiny gold things all over =p should look awesome =p

Generation
    Other Honda
    Model
    Si 4ws
    i didnt know you could do a course on guitar making... pretty cool. as for the wood, is there a particular type you are using/need? couldnt you just get one big solid peice from bunnings and then re-do the drawing?

I'll definitely be interested to see how this goes! good on ya for doing something completely different and unusual!

outta curiosity, you are making an electric right? is it easy to get ur hands on the electric components for it?

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    well, in reality, you can use pretty much any piece of wood you can find... but the type of wood affects the sound quality of the guitar, the piece i'm using is a piece of Alder, that cost me about $200, the extra piece is a piece of scrap Maple wood. Alder, Ash, Mahogany and maple are probably the most commonly used woods to build a guitar out of, though i've seen one made entirely out of steel (on the interwebs, not in real life, lol)

yes, i am making a standard 6 string electric, there's someone else who's getting a guitar custom built that has an 8 string setup... that's pretty crazy and interesting too, lol... usually it's either 6 strings, 7 strings or 12 strings

i like electric guitars because you can do just about anything with them, you can change the sound, get different looks and replace bits and pieces and have a fully custom personalised piece of equipment that should last a life time and can fit into almost any budget too, hehe

as for getting components, it's pretty easy, lots of online stores with high quality parts available, even most local music instrument shops should have a selection of bits and pieces for a guitar too, all you gotta do is look around and get the best deal you can =D

Generation
    Other Honda
    Model
    Si 4ws
    ahh sweet. Given the way an electric guitar works tho i find it hard to understand why the type of wood would make a huge difference....

i would love an electric but i cant justify it. the acoustic will have to do lol

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    i'm not sure how wood affects it either... i'll be sure to ask him when i see him next... if i remember, lol, i think it has something to do with the density of the wood so that the pickups can't shake minutely around in the wood and alter the way the string goes over the magnets in the pickups... or something like that... i'm not too sure... i'll have to find out about that, lol

Generation
    Other Honda
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    i'm not sure how wood affects it either... i'll be sure to ask him when i see him next... if i remember, lol, i think it has something to do with the density of the wood so that the pickups can't shake minutely around in the wood and alter the way the string goes over the magnets in the pickups... or something like that... i'm not too sure... i'll have to find out about that, lol
    interesting... i would have thought as long as you use a pretty dense wood it'd be sweet, although i dont actually know anything about this stuff!

make a few extra out of pine too incase you have the urge to smash some after a jam session

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    making some out of pine for smashing is a good idea... though it'd take alot of work, and still be a bit expensive when you still have pickups to buy and other bits to do... though there are ways to make a "smashable" guitar that works just like a real guitar, and you can smash it, and then put it back together afterwards, lol, or repair it relatively easily, lol

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Well, today was day 2 of the course, and it's coming along pretty nicely, instead of using the piece of maple to extend the piece of wood like before, the instructor cut out a bit of the piece that i got, that wasn't being taken up by my design, and glued those on instead, which meant redrawing the "horns" but it didn't take very long, lol, so that was good and once that was done, we moved out the back of the shop to use some machinery =p

it doesn't really look like i got a hell of alot done for the 3 hours i spent there, but precision and perfection takes time, and when you only really get one shot to do it, you really don't wanna f*ck up, lol, but today i got the main holes done, the neck, pickups and tremolo system holes, as well as some holes to put the wires through. It took a while to do each hole with the router (only being able to remove a few millimetres of wood at a time) but the end result was very worth it, and just with the tremolo mocked up in it's hole, i'm getting even more excited about finishing the project, and i've only been working on it for two days... and in those two days it looks a shiteload better than anything i did in woodwork at high school, lol, i'm quite proud of myself, and will be even prouder when it's finished

tomorrow will be almost the same as today, i have one more hole to route, a big one to sit all the electronics in, and then we finally get to move onto cutting the body out

arriving home today i came home to a package i'd hoped to have had before my lesson today, but i'm gald it didn't come any later, 6 switches to use in my guitar to operate the pickups, two for each pickup, one for an on/off switch and the other as an "in phase"/"out of phase" switch, the same setup as my favourite guitarist, as well as the person who inspired me to even pick up a guitar as well as build one, Brian May, which he uses on his guitar that he built with his dad from scratch, and owning a Brian May signature replica, i absolutely love that switching system, so many different sounds can be created from it, and it's so easy to use, so it's kind of a fitting tribute to him, as well as it being something that i want in a guitar, lol

lastly, over the weekend i searched for hours on end just to find someone who will ship EMG pickups internationally, i finally came across a German music store who did, so, hopefully by next monday, i'll have three nice EMG pickups to put into my guitar =D

all that's left now is pics from today =p

the router (alot easier to use than i thought it'd be)

after routing the pickup holes and the neck hole

mocking up the tremolo

the switches that i came home to (x6)

i ordered 3 EMG pickups that look pretty much exactly the same, the ones pictured are the EMG 85 Gold pickups, i ordered two of those and the other one i ordered was an EMG 81 Gold, both look exactly the same, lol

can't wait =D

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si4ws Turbo
    nice progress

you think routing holes and cutting the body take time, wait until you get to contouring the body, shaping the neck, and making the fingerboard.
    ~Ian~

Anything thing I say is my opinion, all care, but no responsibility taken.

1989 Prelude Si Turbo - Laguna gold - Progress thread index or My Garage
    Prelude Australia POTM - June 2009 ..... Prelude Power POTM - July 2010
    2006 CBR1000RR - Silver Metallic - Clicky

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Quote Originally Posted by PJF_Lude View Post
    nice progress

you think routing holes and cutting the body take time, wait until you get to contouring the body, shaping the neck, and making the fingerboard.
    lol, i'm expecting most of the cutting out to take a long time =p, shaping the neck will probably be the most challenging, but i'm sure i can do it =p

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Leather
    looking good so far. i would of done something stupid like a oreo shaped guitar or a longneck beer bottle hehe. lol
    this thread is making me want to learn guitar lol
    3RD GEN LUDER--------------------

Ricing It Up alil'

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonricerprelude View Post
    looking good so far. i would of done something stupid like a oreo shaped guitar or a longneck beer bottle hehe. lol
    this thread is making me want to learn guitar lol
    lol, there is a Jack Daniels guitar that someone famous plays... this isn't the actual guitar, but it was the best i could find

anyways, i'll update todays progress later tonight after work... i'm shit tired but i have to start work soon =( oh well, i'm really happy with todays progress, so that's at least something, lol

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    okie dokie, as promised, the updates for day 3 of the course

i'm actually pretty surprised of how much i've done so far, i was expecting to take forever to get a guitar built, like, 2 months or so, but at this rate it looks as if i'll be done in about half that, though that may be a bit of an exaggeration, lol

anyways, after nearly burning down the building from friction of the router on wood igniting some of the saw dust coming from the wood, i got a hole big enough to fit all the fiddly bits into the guitar, which will be covered by a faceplate/scratch plate when i'm done, then after that came the fun stuff; cutting the shape out =D

this was actually alot easier than i thought it'd be... i didn't think cutting curves on the band saw would be as easy as what it was, but it was pretty easy to do and the end result was great, the only setback we had was when we were trying to cut out one of the sections, we couldn't fit the body into the band saw (as it was too small) so we had to use some sort of tracing paper to trace the design from the front and then transfer it to the back of the guitar so we had a template on both sides of what to cut out, which worked out very nicely, after that came the sanding to finish up the shaping, and the result so far is just awesome, in three days i've cut out the body, i thought it'd take alot longer than that, even Daz, the instructor, said that i was working a bit quicker than average and being more efficient than most of the other students he's had and even better is that he's loving my design more and more as it gets closer to being finished, and i don't blame him, cause i am too, hehe, he also said that by friday the body should be ready for painting =D

anyways, pics from the day:

after routing the big hole i was talking about and darkening my design so i can see it when i use the bandsaw

Daz helping me with the tricky bits (seriously, without him helping a bit with some of the tricky bits, i'd be ****ed, he's a great teacher, beats any woodwork teacher i had in high school)

not sure if from the previous picture if you can tell why or how we got stuck cutting out some of the bottom half of the guitar, but this is how far we could get before we had to think of a way to beat the machine, lol

and finally, after being fully cut out and having a good sand down, the body is almost completely finished (just needs to be sanded a bit more and if you can see, one of the outer spike bits is slightly longer, and less symetrical, to the other side, so, that's gonna get shortened and rounded a bit so they don't break or flake off easily =p
    Last edited by Baz; 22nd July 2010 at 02:55 AM. Reason: picture double... fixed!