Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    S

Project REVIVAL!

Well, this is what happens when your unemployed and drink too much coffee.

My dad helped me tow my busted A** motorbike back home, so I decided I'd give his car a freshen up since its due for rego and needs some work.

The car:
    2001 Corolla, shy of 300 000km, heavy highway duties, showing lots of battle scars, also used as a table for feeding cats (sigh) so its heavily stained from kangaroo meat and old milk.

What it needs:
    A good detail (further down)
    A bloody good service and some brakes. I also picked up some OEM injectors off a wrecked model with only 24 000 on the clock, to replace the current ones that are a bit tired or could use a clean.

The mechanic wanted $1200 all up for all that work, so I'm doing it for cost price, aka... $210 bucks (including having the new injectors tested/cleaned if needed) and using synthetic oil.

the DETAILING? oh dear, this is where it gets sad. As far as I NOW know the car has not been washed or polished since I did it last (Thats close to 3 years ago). The paint is oxidised all over the place, plenty of stone chips, souvineers from the carparking lot (other peoples paint and scrapes) and DAMN inground dirt.

The pictures here are after I gave it a wash with a pressure sprayer, and soapy water and then ANOTHER pressure wash. So yeah, it will need some special attention

So I haven't ventured into my detailing products much lately. and My father didn't have the time to leave me his car for 8 hours (yes, i know probably excessive, but when I detail, I like to do it RIGHT and usually by hand, i dislike spinning machinery with abrasives :S)

So with no time to do any detailing yet, i decided to see how bad the oxidisation on the paint was, as well as the inground stains. Turns out EVERY inch of this car will need a bloody good cut and polish as well as every other treatment that I can throw at it.

The good part is, the oxidisation has come off easily, as well as the inground staining, just plenty of work left for me to fix up the surface so it looks like new again.

So I guess, on the weekend, ill do all the mechanical work, then give it a full detail service, using the following.

I usually use turtlewax or polyglaze, not the best, but not cheap and they work well.

1.Polyglaze cut'n'polish and possibly clay it
    2.Turtlewax swirl/scratch remover
    3.Ultra light finishing polish
    4.Mother pre-wax (awesome)
    5.Mothers pure carnuaba wax x 2 (solid, i dislike liquids :S)

making sure every nook and cranny is looked after, as well as a full interior and plastic detail should bring the car WAY back to life, instead of being a knackered old corolla.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    S
    and hopefully those headlights will come up a bit better once i find my tub of autosol (much prefer it to plastic polish)

migoreng
    cool stuff..i used to use metal polish...

i fixed my headlights a while ago. wetsand with 500/1500/2500 grit then buff for around 10 mins with meguairs plastx...
    each sandpaper was used for a few minutes.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    S
    yeah thats the usual method, but thankfully these headlights aren't too bad, so its just a matter of using generic cut'n'polish, and some autosol (also have autosol for plastic, but i find its finish isn't as great)

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    S
    Well I got my first customer! Some guy was selling his little Daewoo, and had someone coming around in 6 hours to inspect it, frankly the car was in quite rough shape, even after a good wash and a clay, the paint was still rough to the touch.

Since im only starting out again, I only charged him $100 for a full exterior and quick interior jobby, but to be ultra typical of my luck, the guy comes back after 1.5 hours, saying the customer was turning up in 10 minutes.

I had only enough time since he left me the car to give it a wash, vacuum, and polish/wax the bonnet so the bonnet looked decent, but the rest of the car was still lame. feh! oh well, at least he gave me $100 for a wash.

Sigh, hey this was only one coat of wax after a quick hand polish, in your own opinion, after another coat of wax, would you be happy if you were provided with a service like that? (obviously all over the car, not just the bonnet) you can compare what the clean car vs. the polished car is by every other panel being different

ps. children, please clean bat poo off your cars, it really destroys the clearcoat O_O

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    S
    NB: the rims still had to be polished and cleaned, the brake dust was somehow burnt into the metal itself O_O unless it was just corrosion? I don't like using acidic wheel cleaners, so It would have taken time, but it seemed to have been coming off easy enough with some elbow grease.