Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4WS
    Quote Originally Posted by Veilside View Post
    I want a fridge again so I can actually buy food that can be cooked. (motor blew >.<)
    I feel your pain. Family once lived out of an esky for about a month as we didnt have a fridge. Not fun at all!

Generation
    Other Honda
    This isn't exactly the healthiest meal around but its nice every now and then, if you're having people over or something like that - as it requires a bit more effort than what you would want for an everyday meal. But it is a dish I made up when I was bored one night, so if you make it let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions to make it tastier!!

Pumpkin and Tomato Pasta

Ingredients (to serve four):
    1/2 a pumpkin (Jap and Kent are usually good for roasting)
    2 large white onions
    8 rashers of bacon
    A bunch of fresh garlic
    Sage leaves
    White wine
    Pasta
    Parmesan cheese
    Cream (optional)

Prep Time: Roughly 3 hours

Cooking Time: 40 minutes

Method:
    Pre-heat oven to around 180c
    First start by cutting your pumpkin into long slices for roasting. They can be a few centimeters thick. I usually peel the skin off at this point as it is easier than when it is cooked.
    Place them on a tray (I usually put baking paper under them so they don't stick). Then take your garlic and peel several cloves and place them around your pumpkin. Leave 2 or 3 to be crushed and spread on the slices with a light brush of olive oil.

Cook the pumpkin for around 2 - 3 hours.

Cut the bacon into thin strips and cook in a non-stick frying pan until they are done they way you like them. I do mine separately to the onions because I like them to be crispy.
    Dice your onions (it can be rough or fine depending on how you like them also) and cook on a very low heat in some olive oil until they start to become translucent. I added the whole roasted garlic cloves during this process to allow some of the flavour out.

Add the bacon to the onion if you have cooked it separately and add some salt and pepper (more pepper, as the bacon will already make the dish quite salty) and continue to cook on a low heat for a few more minutes. Crush 3 cloves of garlic and add to the onion mix, stirring gently so that the garlic doesn't burn.

You can put your pasta on to cook now, as it is best to let the pasta cook and then rest. Without going into too much detail, it allows the starches to be digested properly when you eat them.

Turn the heat up to full and pour in a cup and a half of white wine. Give the pan a few good shakes to stop it from sticking but allow the wine to simmer. While the wine is cooking add a small handful of chopped sage leaves to the sauce. Leave it to burn off the majority of the wine and then you can add the pumpkin cut into small pieces. You can be fairly rough with your cutting because the pumpkin will eventually break down into more of a paste. Turn the heat back down to low.

At this stage if you wish to add cream, do so in stages, allowing it to be absorbed by the pumpkin. Keep stirring the sauce so that it doesn't stick.

You can then serve the sauce on your pasta and I usually just leave a little bowl of the tomato in the middle for people to add as little or as much as they like. If you wish you can buy your own sundried tomatoes and make a paste out of them in a blender. Otherwise, the brand in the photo is the nicest one I have found so far and I have tried quite a few. But again, play around and see what works for you.

Sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese and enjoy!!

* I used a wholegrain pasta for this dish which worked really nicely. I have found some wholemeal pasta's to be unpleasant to eat but this particular brand and the spiral shape cooks really well. But just a word of warning with the spirals to keep an eye on the time, although the packet says 11 minutes or so, I find that after about 7 minutes, it feels cooked enough for my liking. But just keep checking it.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4WS
    Thats pretty interesting - cant say i would have ever considered pumpkin and pasta a obvious combo but after its roasted perhaps! Do you think you could subsititue potato instead dulcinea?

Generation
    Other Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhiteLude View Post
    Thats pretty interesting - cant say i would have ever considered pumpkin and pasta a obvious combo but after its roasted perhaps! Do you think you could subsititue potato instead dulcinea?
    Yeah its a bit different huh? I love pumpkin and try to do all sorts of crazy things with it. Not sure if it would work with potato though, sweet potato maybe. But I would imagine it would be too starchy and would be very gluggy.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4WS
    Now your have inspired me to start experimenting with roasting vegies and creating a pasta sauce outta them! I might give the above a try also when i got time to do some roasting...and going to try and add some ricotta in there somewhere too!

Generation
    Other Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhiteLude View Post
    Now your have inspired me to start experimenting with roasting vegies and creating a pasta sauce outta them! I might give the above a try also when i got time to do some roasting...and going to try and add some ricotta in there somewhere too!
    Yeah, some nice cheese would work well, especially ricotta mmmm. I put little bits of bocconchini (sp?) in at the end once and that was great!
    I don't really follow recipes as such though, experimenting is half the fun you might come up with something really awesome as a fluke! Let us know if you do anything cool

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4WS
    Will do - this thread is definitely a winner!

Generation
    Other Honda
    Yeah this is an awesome thread! The one on CrxAus is pretty sweet too. There are some awesome recipes
    Now I just have to focus on some of the healthier ones

Generation
    Other Honda
    I have stolen this one from the CrxAus thread. My bf loves making pizzas and this is his latest crazy invention... enjoy!

"Wanky Pizza

here's what i bought,

ham
    salmai
    portabello mushrooms
    brown onion
    potatoes
    asparagus
    spinach pesto
    tomato paste
    bocconcini
    "terrorist bread"

first spread the tomato paste over the bread.

cut up salami/ham etc... and spread over base.

then the veggies, *the potatoes need to be lightly fried or boiled first so they cook in the oven

now things start to go a little weird, i'm putting spinach pesto on this pizza to add a little more flavor

even weirder, asparagus *you need to steam the asparagus to cook it before going into the oven.

now time for some cheese, lots of cheese

put in the oven for about 10 mins at around 200+, and hey presto

best washed down in this hot mexican weather with a scorpion and some lemon

strange ingredients but is one of the most amazing flavors, nothing over powering and just melts in your mouth.

enjoy."

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    ^^ Yummy! I'm going to give this a go on Tuesday.
    Hmmm.. thats today!
    I'm coming over to yours today!

I'm going to try Scotty's Thai Chicken

Also, I've decided to put an index on the front page so you can quickly get to all the recepies...

Generation
    Other Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by AdReNaLiN View Post
    I'm going to try Scotty's Thai Chicken
    How was it?

Generation
    4th Generation
    wow pumpkin pasta looks great bron! ill be sure to give that a try

Snowwhite, re the thai chicken, might have missed it, but if you brown the diced chicken in some butter/oil before going into the curry mix, it will give you heaps of flavour

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si turned VTIR
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulcinea View Post
    How was it?
    Well,,,, We ended up fixing an alarm system and getting take out!
    (Thanks Steve)

Sometimes some things are more important than cooking..

BUT! I did make it tonight.

Thanks Snowwhitelude for the recipe! It was awesome (except I put a bit too much curry paste in it though and made it super hot!)

Browning the chicken before putting it in the curry is a good idea...The chicken was juicy inside.

Here's my attempt.

I'm not sure if it's meant to be served like this but it tasted pretty good!
    Last edited by Scotty; 6th January 2010 at 10:55 PM.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    JDM Si 4WS
    You serve it and brown your chicken whichever way you like Scotty! Glad it was a winner!

Type AK i deliberately brown the chicken in the paste so it takes in some of it through the meat, you just has to make sure you don't then over cook it!If you seal the chicken first that isn't as effective. It is really a case of personal taste i guess.

Stay tuned all - More to come in the near future!

Generation
    Other Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Type-AK View Post
    wow pumpkin pasta looks great bron! ill be sure to give that a try
    lol thanks Andy! As you probably guessed Gwyn and I love our cooking Some of his creations are pretty amazing, I will have to post more up.