Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iphone Apps

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si

Iphone Apps

i got myself an iphone, stupidly, after my old phone broke and i have been downloading some interesting apps that i didnt seem to find or would not work on ipod touch.
    there are actually some very car related apps as well including a dyno (i don't know how it works ill find out one day), a speedo and an app to tell you where the cheapest petrol is (unfortunately there is no option for premium unleaded).
    any way there is one app that i found most fascinating and thats a speed camera app. i don't know how but it can manage to tell you where a speed camera is from a maximum of 2 kms away. and not only that it also knows where the speed cameras attached to cars and so on are and red light cameras too. i havent used it yet but i would like to know before i do, do the police have anything against things like this (i know there are some GPS units with this built in but they do not locate temporary cameras like those attached to cars) and does it work...

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    the GPS in my car tells me where red light and speed cameras are attached to traffic lights, and permanent ones... not mobile units... police only don't like them cause it gives them warning to slow down before a camera, so it means less money, but as far as i know it's not illegal... there are services you can sign up to to receive a text message that tells you wat roads police are gonna be on with speed cameras for the next day, and even the local news tells you where speed cameras are gonna be, so, it's definitely not illegal

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si
    ok thats cool as.

there are some really interesting apps (and some that are totally stupid), i love the Adidas urban art app..

Generation
    Other Honda
    Model
    2.0 Si
    Nov 4th it becomes illegal to use a phone as a GPS device. Beware! =]

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si
    technically i dont think the Iphone has a gps.. i'm pretty sure it only has google maps, though for an apple based product to run software that is owned by microsoft seems a little stupid..

Regular Member IainLovesHisLude's Avatar
    Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Quote Originally Posted by Showie View Post
    technically i dont think the Iphone has a gps.
    No, it does, but one which is assisted by 3G data.
    Hi, I'm Iain, your local PA Techxspert.

Promoting correct grammar and punctuation!

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    ATTS
    Considering speed cameras have enough visible warning signs anyway I doubt its illegal to have a extra little reminder from a gps unit. But beware those advertised as telling you where mobile speed detectors are (such as police). The police have a way to detect if you have those or not cos they will send out a signal. This will result in a hefty hefty fine.
    Last edited by Geolude; 12th October 2009 at 06:22 PM.

Generation
    Other Honda
    Its not illegal to tell you where fixed cameras are, theres a comprehensive list of them in the back of my UBD. But as far as I know its a big no no to detect the mobile ones.. aside from that its likely they'd frown upon using your iPhone whilst driving.
    Apostrophes for plurals, Ashwee says no.

Generation
    Non Honda
    Model
    AUII XR8 220
    Quote Originally Posted by Geolude View Post
    Considering speed cameras have enough visible warning signs anyway
    not in vic...i wouldnt be surprised if they put a sign AFTER the camera saying "thanks for the money chump!"
    they are shocking here.
    A completed modified car is an ever changing goal that can never truly be achieved.
    CLICK to see my progress towards this impossible end.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    i never see any signs down here before a mobile speed camera... and if it's illegal to get info on where mobile cameras are, then how come the news can tell us where they're gonna be? down here in adelaide on the channel nine local news they tell us where they're gonna be for the next day...

Generation
    Non Honda
    Model
    AUII XR8 220
    its not illegal to find out where they are...its illegal to run camera detection devices, commonly called radar detectors.
    except i have heard that it is legal to operate them in wa...any of you westies wanna confirm/dispute that? would be nice to get confirmation. might have to move over there. lol
    A completed modified car is an ever changing goal that can never truly be achieved.
    CLICK to see my progress towards this impossible end.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si
    Manibir, i thought it was illegal to run the ones that cancel the camera out so you can actually speed as you go past the camera and not get caught..

is anyone over the 'lite' apps for all them cheapos that spend $80 a month on their iphone and dont want to pay for apps?

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    i hate lite apps, they are just shit.

1.19 is a bargain for some of the apps out there!

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    for those without an iPhone, what's a "lite app"? personally i see the i phone pointless, that's why i don't have one... the apps that i've seen are pretty stupid and most of them are nothing but small entertainment things for when your kid is bored in the back seat and wants something to do... who needs a thing on there phone of a cigarette lighter that opens and closes and lights up? or for something even stupider, a picture of a box of Tic-Tacs that makes a noise when you shake the phone... stuff like that made president bush miss half of the shit that went on in the world while he wa spresident, lol

but still... iPhones, like most other apple products, to me are just over rated and expensive not really worth having... iMacs and Macbooks, sure... if you wanna take music and video further... but for anything else, they're useless... that;s just my opinion though... they're more of an expensive toy to me...

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si
    i guess each to their own but owning a macbook followed by a macbook pro, i do love apple products and they run better than pc's too even running windows on macs is better than what pc can run windows.

also, an iphone is one less thing to carry around really..

a lite app is sort of like a demo i guess. you get to a point and then it tells you you have to purchase the full version in order to continue.