migoreng

driver low beam drops out sometimes

just want to get some advice first.
    my driver side low beam started to turn off last week...happened as i was driving home from work.i could see the reflection from the car in front.

after 5mins or so it would turn on again and work for the rest of the trip home...it did happen a few days ago and then happened last night/this morning...

there's nothing wrong with the passenger headlight.
    i only changed the bulbs early this year but they were cheap calibre globes from supercheap, plus i do quite a bit of night driving, at least an hour 5 nights a week.

i've never seen a globe that works and then turns off for a few mins. i have already checked the connections behind the headlights, they are tight but haven't checked fuses yet.

i might buy a new pair of globes today just to see what happens...or i was thinking of switching the globes to see if the passenger light turns on/off randomly.

migoreng
    another thing is the globes were bought around april so i've had em for 5 months. they are on at least 5 hours a week, so they would of had 100hrs+ of usage...

they are only $12-15 each iirc
    maybe i should get some narva/philips globes?

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    As you suggested. Its worth swapping the globes over from left to right to see if its actually the globe. It could be a bad filament.
    Id do that before spending money.

migoreng
    i'll try that but after some more thoughts they may be on their way out...
    these calibre globes i have aren't my first set..
    but why would the light drop out once or twice during my trip home? if a bulb dies then it shouldn't light up again?

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    It might be a loose connection inside the actual globe. Could happen.

migoreng
    lol guess you are right..thought i'd take a trip to repco to get some narva plus 50 h1 globes for 27 a pair...so cheap!

the moment i took out the driver side globe the single metal contact was stuck inside the base...i've never seen that before..wonder if winter/condensation caused water to build up and rust/corode the metal?
    installed the new globes...all good now...
    was planning to get narva arctic blues or something but they were like 60 bucks a pair!