Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Generation
    2nd Gen
    Model
    EX

Introducing Zoldrins 2nd gen prelude (loads of pics)

[[EDIT: Firstly, I'm real sorry about the size of the pics, I can't be ****ed downloading them, resizing them and reuploading them, and updating my post at the moment. Does anybody know can we use html on the forum? I may get around to resizing them all soon, but please persevere - it is worth it ! At the moment I will just have links to the really big pics. Hit ctrl and minus to shrink the page a bit so it all fits on one page - unless you have a big monitor. Just open all the pics up into new tabs, and then leisurely look through. I swear it is worth it! Thanks.]]

Hey guys,

I thought it was about time I introduced myself and my baby formally. I have put a fair few pics up on preludepower.com where the 2g culture is a bit more alive, but I am looking forward to meeting all the PAVIC crew and helping to represent more of the prelude heritage. I live near the bottom of the Mt Dandenongs.

The car is a 1983 Honda Prelude, 5spd manual, ET engine. Arctic Silver with grey interior. There have been some body mods done by the previous owners and some engine mods done by myself. I am in the beginning phase of rebuilding an A20 engine from a performance perspective for this lude.

Things previous owners have done:

Basically I bought the car after it had had the body rebuilt. So it had been totally stripped, rust treated, and resprayed. Honda Arctic Silver paint less 2 years old. The original owners had converted the brakes to uprated disk brakes front and rear and deleted the ALB system. Originally it was drum brakes on the rear. The 2nd gen ALB system is known to be a pain in the ass to upkeep. Also converted the distributor to a third gen distributor. Replaced the front drive shafts, and steering rack. Lowered the car by about 1 - 2 inches with lower springs on stock shocks.

As far as the body goes, the original owners, apart from the rebuild/respray, have deleted and welded over the antenna, deleted and welded over the side moldings, color coded the front and rear bumpers, and added an aftermarket spoiler similar in shape to a third gen spoiler but sits a bit taller. They also installed a remote central locking and engine imobiliser alarm system. The car came with a 'sports' muffler and aftermarket steering wheel, gear knob and handbrake handle all of which I have changed. They had cut out the front of the front bumper and installed blue wire mesh that I am not too pleased with. They also have deleted all the rear badges.

Things I have done:

Most importantly, I have installed hurricane 4-2-1 extractors and a full extractors back 2.25 inch mandrel bent exhaust system, no cat, with a 2.25inch to 2.5 inch dual tips straight through muffler and a 2.25 inch straight through resonator. Muffler tips are 2.5 inch dual round straight cut stainless. Looks like it could be stock and suits the vintage - none of this rolled edge or oval crap...

I have modified the stock air intake by deleting the air intake box and thermo valve etc. and custom making my own 'cover palte' out of sheet aluminium to hold down a 'stock shaped' K&N air filter. So picture a big rectangular K&N with all of the filter element exposed.

I removed the 'throttle control valve' from the carbs to allow a bit more engine compression braking, and also to add a bit more of that delicious 'pop and crackle' from the exhaust. Between this and modding the air intake, I have managed to delete and re-route a number of vacuum lines, and clean up the engine bay considerably. Keep in mind no air intake tube, hot air intake tube and no ALB shit, as well as no 'throttle control valve' and mush less vacuum tubes. Also being AUDM, it had no emissions control stuff from stock, so looks very sparse.

As for the interior I have had floor mats custom made in grey with blue trim and blue 'prelude' embroidery, made to factory size and shape as perfect fit.

Added a 500gm weighted billet gear knob. And a replica Nardi Taniguchi 12.5 inch blue anodized steering wheel. Previous owner had installed blue leather shift boot and handbrake boot. Previous owner had shortened the gear shift considerably

Also, I have done a "rear tailight prelude lettering' light up mod.

So now I will just post a whole heap of photos, and then at the end provide a summary of all my current, intentions and projects for the car.

Photos:

Photos from original owner right before I bought it. You can see how they deleted the stock antenna and deleted the rear wiper and installed and antenna in the rear wiper water squirter. I am going to reinstate the rear wiper and have a 'stick on windscreen' style interior antenna. Also the wheels are way different now - these ones are fugly. I am just posting these photos cos they are better quality than any of mine and capture the car well.

http://users.tpg.com.au/haydenpt/prelude/front.JPG
    http://users.tpg.com.au/haydenpt/prelude/rear.JPG
    http://users.tpg.com.au/haydenpt/prelude/side.JPG

This is a photo from the previous owners of the original car before they started working on it:

http://users.tpg.com.au/haydenpt/prelude/original.JPG

Now here are some of my photos when I first got the car. Ignore the shitty wood steering wheel, shitty floor mats and shitty exhaust and shitty P-plate (yay! big boys license now!). These are all changed. This is before I did any mods.

http://users.tpg.com.au/haydenpt/prelude/1.JPG
    http://users.tpg.com.au/haydenpt/prelude/2.JPG
    http://users.tpg.com.au/haydenpt/prelude/3.JPG
    http://users.tpg.com.au/haydenpt/prelude/4.JPG

here you can see how short the shifter is. This is my new 500gm weighted shift knob.
    http://users.tpg.com.au/haydenpt/prelude/8.JPG

And here is the re-trimmed rear deck thanks to the previous owners.

http://users.tpg.com.au/haydenpt/prelude/10.JPG

And the engine before I changed anything:

http://users.tpg.com.au/haydenpt/prelude/19.JPG

Okay, now here are the photos of my new interior items:

Now here is my exhaust system: If you want more pics or more info go here http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=312962 .

Hurricane extractors made by liverpool exhaust in sydney:

and the rest:

Under the firewall - a nice new 2.25 inch flex joint and beautiful mandrel bend!

From side of car - the 'sausage' resonator:

Looking from back-underneath of muffler down the 2.25 inch piping:

Mmmmmm... mandrel bends:

Really long and slim straight through muffler - 2.25 to 2.5inch dual tip:

Full muffler with temporary tips:

New, much nicer tips:

Okay - forgot to mention above, I have installed (I think EUDM) clear smoked grey corner lights that look much nicer - they required slight modification of the light housing.

Here are the pics of my illuminated rear tail light text: If anybody is interested in the guide/and buuild pics go here http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=316593

And now for the customised intake. Compare to above photo of stock engine. Note these photos show stock air filter - I now have K&N racing filter.

Making process and test fitting:

After some final touches:

Check this out - it came with my second (newer) lude:

Okay thankyou so much for putting up with that epic amount of pictures. Moderators please feel free to resize any - I don't know how except on the computer.

My current intentions for this car:

I am imminently receiving an Erebuni body kit that I will restore and color match to the rest of the car. Also I am currently restoring some chrome wheel arch flares for this car.

I have since bought a second red prelude, bone stock 1983, and am in the process of swapping out the grey interior parts to my good lude. The red lude has an immaculate interior. I am getting some blue molded carpet for my good lude also to go along with my blue and grey theme. Ultimately I hope to swap a blue vinyl interior into my good lude once I find one in good condition. I intend also to get a tailored dash mat in grey with blue trim to match my floor mats. I am installing blue LEDS into the air ducts of the dash and doors, and installing blue leds or CCFLS under the footwells. I will make up a circuit so they come on full brightness when the doors are opened and dim to a very subtle level when the doors are closed. I don't want it to be garish or distracting/noticeable - just a very subtle glow when you look in that direction.

I am going to install the SI gauge cluster into my EX dashboard as I think it is more attractive and I want to install cruise control too and use the cruise control indicators on the SI gauge cluster. Also, I will be able to buy a precut aluminium gauge bezel for this cluster and get it anodised blue to match the steering wheel.

I'm nagging my mum to help reupholster my seats in grey velour like the original, except with blue trim/piping.

I am going to sand off the text and molding marks from the tail light cluster, and tint them very slightly smoky, to try and match the corner lights. Just very subtle.

Okay, most importantly I am in the R&D stage and collecting parts stage of rebuilding an A20 to drop into this beast. I am going to overbore it by 0.3mm, and skim the deck 1mm and the head 0.5mm - port and polish the head and manifold. Manifold will be for dcoe 45 webers But read all about this on the following link -- the first page is a big summary for work, goals, parts etc, and a complete parts-vendor-price breakdown - the rest is some massive discussion with some very knowledgeable and commendable people included Cygnus-x1 and Rjudgey - those guys are incredible, and I thank them heaps! Read about it here http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=314669

So that pretty much sums up where I'm at and where I'm going. I'll be beginning the rebuild properly in summer holidays, and collecting parts between now and then. I'm doing up the red lude to sell and this will fund a lot of my re-build parts. It just needs an oil pump and timing belt really - the engine is immaculate! Better than my silver ludes.

I'll try to update all my progress on PA now as well as PP. If anybody has any questions, want's more detail, or guides on anything I did or more pictures, just ask! I can provide and also refer you to PP posts where appropriate.

Once again, I can't wait to meet all the PAVIC crew on some meets/cruises and represent the glory of 2nd gens!

Peace all,

Hayden.
    Last edited by zoldrin; 9th August 2009 at 01:31 AM.
    2nd Gens rule!

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    S
    very impressive, cant wait to see it in person, i'm a bit of a gen2 fan

PM me for all your car audio and other miscellaneous installation needs.

Generation
    2nd Gen
    Model
    EX
    Thanks xmkydx,

your fourth looks really swanky too - is that side skirts and a lip kit I see ?

I've never rolled in a fourth or fifth gen before, only second and thirds - I'd totally love to get the opportunity so I know what it is like and compare to my 2g now, and after the performance rebuild. Maybe get some inspiration.
    2nd Gens rule!

Generation
    2nd Gen
    Model
    but upgraded.

Intake

So mate it's looking soooo good i don't know what to say... So i'm going to ask how the intake mod went? I'm thinking I'm going to do the same thing soon and wanted to check if it makes much of a difference in power? I figure the noise will be substantial...

Z

Welcome and Nice 2nd gen, good to see the quality there and nothing too overdone. The way you setup the airfilter might give you a bit of lag as it is sucking hot air now though.
    Keep up the good work.

BRING BACK THE FORUMS!

Generation
    2nd Gen
    Model
    EX
    Hey Zaahir,

I noticed a bit more acceleration or ease of acceleration with the intake mod, and a bit more again with the K&N filter on it, so I suppose it equates to a bit more low end torque. And yes, the sound is louder than normal (but not too loud to be annoying) - a very nice "rrrssssshhhh" when you plant your foot down. I love this sound, however I struggle to hear anything, including the radio, over the sound of the exhaust, which is deep and booming I love having an obnoxious noisy car, but my girlfriend is a bit scared of it.

When you make the intake plate - I'd recommend cutting the rectangle a bit larger than the ultimate size it will be cos it is hard to get the hole exactly lined up seeing as you can't sit the plate flush to the original air box cover. Then you can trim/fold any excess around the sides once you get it lined up by test fitment.

I used a sheet-metal bender to bend the right-angle all along the bottom to support the filter. Then using the filter as a template I bent the upper two corners inwards to hold the filter firmly in place. I also hand filed and sanded all the edges smooth.

Make sure you use stainless steel, or aluminium or at least coat it so it wont rust up and allow rust to suck into your engine. On that note, make triple sure you remove all filings and shavings from the piece.

Also, make sure you hold onto the rubber grommet that the bolt goes through on the stock cover and re-use this to get a tight seal. Don't drill the hole too big or the grommet wont stay in place. Also, you will need to buy a longer bolt than the one the stock cover uses. I just got a normal bolt so I have to use a spanner to tighten the air filter down. That suits me fine, but you may be able to get a 'wing' bolt thing.

Basically I'd highly recommend doing the mod, seeing as it is free, and you do get noticeable gains. I'd also recommend spending the $50 - $80 on a K&N stock replacement reusable racing filter as this gives noticeable gains again (though not as much).

The other benefit of this mod is that you remove the entire air intake snorkel thing at the same time, and also the warm air intake valve and pipe. This means your intake mixture will be cooler and hence denser and you will get a bit more power from this (but car will take longer to warm up). I don't know if it would be noticeable on it's own, however every bit counts. The main thing is you can eliminate a few vacuum lines at the same time, and generally remove heaps of ugly shit from the engine bay.

I also chose to remove the rocker cover PCV ventilation thing - and just stuck on a little breather filter - much cleaner and you wont be sucking engine oil and shit into your intake. On mine, the original rocker cover filter (bolted on behind the airbox) was totally black and putrid and my throttles were full of black oil residue. I removed this also.

If you need advice on which vac lines to remove, block and re-route, just PM me and I can help you out with pictures. You need to keep the two way thermo valve on the thermostat venting to the air box. But other shit you can remove. I removed the bi-metallic thermo valve assembly out of the airbox, and plugged those holes with bolts and thread-lock.

I'd also recommend removing the 'throttle control valve' at the same time, as mentioned in my above post. Cleans things up more and gives a more satisfying exhaust sound - especially on engine braking.

All this would complement an 4-2-1 extractors and exhaust system very nicely Did you look into those hurricane extractors in the end?

Goodluck on the mods man,

H
    Last edited by zoldrin; 7th August 2009 at 08:48 PM.
    2nd Gens rule!

Generation
    2nd Gen
    Model
    EX
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipmods View Post
    Welcome and Nice 2nd gen, good to see the quality there and nothing too overdone. The way you setup the airfilter might give you a bit of lag as it is sucking hot air now though.
    Keep up the good work.
    That is a valid concern, however it sucks fairly hot air anyway as the air travels through a small and restrictive black rubber tube about a meter long. This black (highly heat conductive) tube would heat up to the under hood temperature anyway and also restrict the flow severely. I think that the extremely enhanced flow of the mod would negate any warmer air effects. This mod is tried and true anyway, there are countless people who will vouch for it over at prelude power. It definitely provides gains from my experience and from that of many others.

I did try to design a potential cold air intake, but there is not enough clearance between the carbs and firewall to run a pipe bend of appropriate diameter. Anything you could make to fit would be too restrictive and be worse off.

I am contemplating putting a subtle hood scoop or cowl scoop in at some stage and this will force cold air straight onto the air intake!

Thanks for the kind words, Flipmods!
    2nd Gens rule!

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    S
    i think you could get away with chopping a bit of a hole in the bonnet, the second gen might be able to pull off the look,and ifits a practical step,as well as aesthetic, then why not :p

PM me for all your car audio and other miscellaneous installation needs.

Generation
    Non Honda
    Model
    AUII XR8 220
    remember guys...i had a functional bonnet scoop on mine.
    i think it pulled it off.
    A completed modified car is an ever changing goal that can never truly be achieved.
    CLICK to see my progress towards this impossible end.

Generation
    2nd Gen
    Model
    EX
    Yours was very nice Manabir! I really liked your Lude, except I'd have done the wing differently

I was thinking for a scoop I'd mold the bonnet rather than weld on a scoop perse. You know how in the middle of the bonnet it is lower than the sides - I was thinking of cutting down from the windscreen edge of the bonnet down the two ridges say 10-20cm each side. Then roll the steel back against a suitable diameter piece of pipe to form a kind of "curve" like a skateboarding quarter-pipe. Then weld triangular patches to each side of the curve, and roll the top edge. Bog it up and re spray. So it will be a cowl scoop induction, taking air in from the high pressure area at the base of the windscreen. So picture a backwards facing, curved up slit in the bonnet taking up the whole width of the center lowered indent of the bonnet.

Or you could do it facing the other way as a conventional scoop, but would be a bit harder to pull off nicely.

I think that would look kind of natural seeing as it takes advantage of the existing bonnet design maybe have it 10-15cm high all up.
    2nd Gens rule!

Generation
    Other Honda
    That light up prelude garnish looks great, a tidy looking 2nd gen, good to see you looking after it so well.
    Apostrophes for plurals, Ashwee says no.

Generation
    2nd Gen
    Model
    EX
    Thanks heaps Ashwee, I love the light up garnish too - I find myself just clicking my remote locking at night to watch the "PRELUDE" light up. The color is really well matched between the garnish and the tail lights too.

I just realised I messed up the links to the pictures at the top - I just fixed this.
    2nd Gens rule!

Generation
    2nd Gen
    Model
    but upgraded.
    Quote Originally Posted by zoldrin View Post
    Hey Zaahir,

I noticed a bit more acceleration or ease of acceleration with the intake mod, and a bit more again with the K&N filter on it, so I suppose it equates to a bit more low end torque. And yes, the sound is louder than normal (but not too loud to be annoying) - a very nice "rrrssssshhhh" when you plant your foot down. I love this sound, however I struggle to hear anything, including the radio, over the sound of the exhaust, which is deep and booming I love having an obnoxious noisy car, but my girlfriend is a bit scared of it.

When you make the intake plate - I'd recommend cutting the rectangle a bit larger than the ultimate size it will be cos it is hard to get the hole exactly lined up seeing as you can't sit the plate flush to the original air box cover. Then you can trim/fold any excess around the sides once you get it lined up by test fitment.

I used a sheet-metal bender to bend the right-angle all along the bottom to support the filter. Then using the filter as a template I bent the upper two corners inwards to hold the filter firmly in place. I also hand filed and sanded all the edges smooth.

Make sure you use stainless steel, or aluminium or at least coat it so it wont rust up and allow rust to suck into your engine. On that note, make triple sure you remove all filings and shavings from the piece.

Also, make sure you hold onto the rubber grommet that the bolt goes through on the stock cover and re-use this to get a tight seal. Don't drill the hole too big or the grommet wont stay in place. Also, you will need to buy a longer bolt than the one the stock cover uses. I just got a normal bolt so I have to use a spanner to tighten the air filter down. That suits me fine, but you may be able to get a 'wing' bolt thing.

Basically I'd highly recommend doing the mod, seeing as it is free, and you do get noticeable gains. I'd also recommend spending the $50 - $80 on a K&N stock replacement reusable racing filter as this gives noticeable gains again (though not as much).

The other benefit of this mod is that you remove the entire air intake snorkel thing at the same time, and also the warm air intake valve and pipe. This means your intake mixture will be cooler and hence denser and you will get a bit more power from this (but car will take longer to warm up). I don't know if it would be noticeable on it's own, however every bit counts. The main thing is you can eliminate a few vacuum lines at the same time, and generally remove heaps of ugly shit from the engine bay.

I also chose to remove the rocker cover PCV ventilation thing - and just stuck on a little breather filter - much cleaner and you wont be sucking engine oil and shit into your intake. On mine, the original rocker cover filter (bolted on behind the airbox) was totally black and putrid and my throttles were full of black oil residue. I removed this also.

If you need advice on which vac lines to remove, block and re-route, just PM me and I can help you out with pictures. You need to keep the two way thermo valve on the thermostat venting to the air box. But other shit you can remove. I removed the bi-metallic thermo valve assembly out of the airbox, and plugged those holes with bolts and thread-lock.

I'd also recommend removing the 'throttle control valve' at the same time, as mentioned in my above post. Cleans things up more and gives a more satisfying exhaust sound - especially on engine braking.

All this would complement an 4-2-1 extractors and exhaust system very nicely Did you look into those hurricane extractors in the end?

Goodluck on the mods man,

H
    THanks for the advice mate.. All very sound.... Fortunately all the pipes/vac type lines on my snorkel were removed when i had my engine changed. My mechanic actually also told me the intake was a little usless and advised me to take the whole thing off (this was 6 years ago!) and he also suggested the weber conversion.. clever boy he is. Anyway, i digress... Aaaah yes the mod. Well as soon as I get some sheet metal from my cousin or someone with some access to a decent tool shed I think i'm gonna get onto it. I was thinking about detabgling the spaghetti (JDM has all that crap in it- not like your engine bay) but that may not be an issue. I have some pretty good condition side solex 40mm twins to pair up to the engine as soon as I scrape together some cash for the intake... Are you still getting one from south Africa?

Have made some phonecalls about the headers.. mint... Added to the money list.

Keep it up mate.. I think your build is going to be kick ass.
    Zaahir

Generation
    2nd Gen
    Model
    but upgraded.

P.s.

My wife doesn't even like getting into my car.. says it smells like petrol, is too loud and people always stare...

My response: "What's your point?"

So tell your girl friend she's not alone...

Z

Generation
    2nd Gen
    Model
    EX
    Yeah, I'll get the rowland manifold from south africa. There are also redline manifolds available. I don't know where to get the webers, but probably will get them new... Thats gonna be the most expensive part of the build!

Then I can give/sell my current intake mod to a prelude friend
    2nd Gens rule!