Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Generation
    4th Gen
    Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    QLD - Home of Boosted Hondas and pwnr of PA's Boost Sub Forum.
    LOL Agreed there, what is it with you Qld'ers? hahaha

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPeRVeGeTa View Post
    Damn!!

Nice....very nice. I think Steve's gonna be hella jealous of the Bluetop! Even more rare than the H22a LSD. Crazy!

How much does this thing make in stock form?
    Figures vary all over the internet but the most official stats I can find (from an archived japanese Honda page) are 226 hp @ 6650 rpm and 232 nM of torque at 5300 rpm. Interestingly, it redlines at 7400 and the power and torque curves are petty flat between their peak and the redline which is a nice wide power band when you're throwing it down a track.

Steve won't be jealous - he's bigger than that and he's doing a fantastic job with his own build. Certainly be fun to have them roll out together though!
    The path of Honda is beset on all sides by the iniquities of Mazda and the tyranny of Nissan. Blessed is the Honda owner who in the name of handling and performance shepherds his Honda through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his Honda's keeper and the finder of lost kilowatts. And I will strike down upon thee with great acceleration and furious VTEC those who attempt to overtake and destroy my Hondas. And you will know my name is PRELUDE when I lay my VTEC upon thee.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Custom
    LOL Agreed there, what is it with you Qld'ers? hahaha
    Ahh, QLD ... perfect one day, boosted the next!
    The path of Honda is beset on all sides by the iniquities of Mazda and the tyranny of Nissan. Blessed is the Honda owner who in the name of handling and performance shepherds his Honda through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his Honda's keeper and the finder of lost kilowatts. And I will strike down upon thee with great acceleration and furious VTEC those who attempt to overtake and destroy my Hondas. And you will know my name is PRELUDE when I lay my VTEC upon thee.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Damn!!

Nice....very nice. I think Steve's gonna be hella jealous of the Bluetop! Even more rare than the H22a LSD. Crazy!

How much does this thing make in stock form?
    Not jealous, I'm building my own...
    Am well aware that they exist, and the reason I chose to build instead of buy one is because my engine will run around 9:1 compression instead of the blue top standard 10.6:1.

However, depending what pistons/rods/crank shane runs, will change the compression anyway. In fact, really, you may as well just sleeve a open deck H22 to achieve the same thing.

No aftermarket pistons (that I know of) are out there to replace the standard H23Vtec blue top ones (which are different to the other H series pistons) so you're pretty much going to have to run a custom made piston or something readymade for a H23/22.

The rods in this motor are apparently similar if not the same as standard H23 ones so an aftermarket H23 rod would do the same.

I've seen a few aftermarket crankshafts - again this would be the same as a standard H23 one.

Interested to see what kind of compression you're going for here shane. Also interested to see the turbo manifold and turbo you end up running.

Also Shane, just a little FYI about the stock specs of a H23a Blue Top.

H23A VTEC
    Accord Sir Wagon (CH9) (JDM)
    197hp@6800/163tq@5300
    notes: 10.6:1 CR, open deck likely regular JDM H22a head. 95mm stroke

1. 55mm mains
    2. no squiters
    3. counterweights similar the h22a4
    4. p13 head
    5. open deck
    6. high compression
    7. and it has a auto tensioner on the timing belt

Generation
    4th Gen
    Yeah i guess youre right, if it was stock for stock then it owuld have been a crazy ass find, such a rare engine......maybe i should have said Skinnyboy instead of Adrenalin since Mark's the one who loves his "rare" jdm parts lol.

Def. will keep a close eye on this thread.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Quote Originally Posted by Seismic View Post
    Figures vary all over the internet but the most official stats I can find (from an archived japanese Honda page) are 226 hp @ 6650 rpm and 232 nM of torque at 5300 rpm. Interestingly, it redlines at 7400 and the power and torque curves are petty flat between their peak and the redline which is a nice wide power band when you're throwing it down a track.

Steve won't be jealous - he's bigger than that and he's doing a fantastic job with his own build. Certainly be fun to have them roll out together though!
    LOL I didnt mean it in a bad way.......i just bought my H22a LSD but im jealous of the blue top! Jealous/Envy...whatever.....would have been a pretty penny though.

follar99
    arent these engines OBDII?

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    woohoo I can live my bluetop h-series dreams precariously through you dude! looking forward to the results!

-az
    B68-P 4th Gen Si - Tuned H22, Tuned Chassis, Detuned Driver

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Quote Originally Posted by AdReNaLiN View Post
    Not jealous, I'm building my own...
    Am well aware that they exist, and the reason I chose to build instead of buy one is because my engine will run around 9:1 compression instead of the blue top standard 10.6:1.

However, depending what pistons/rods/crank shane runs, will change the compression anyway. In fact, really, you may as well just sleeve a open deck H22 to achieve the same thing.

No aftermarket pistons (that I know of) are out there to replace the standard H23Vtec blue top ones (which are different to the other H series pistons) so you're pretty much going to have to run a custom made piston or something readymade for a H23/22.

The rods in this motor are apparently similar if not the same as standard H23 ones so an aftermarket H23 rod would do the same.

I've seen a few aftermarket crankshafts - again this would be the same as a standard H23 one.

Interested to see what kind of compression you're going for here shane. Also interested to see the turbo manifold and turbo you end up running.

Also Shane, just a little FYI about the stock specs of a H23a Blue Top.

H23A VTEC
    197hp@6800/163tq@5300

1. 55mm mains
    2. no squiters
    4. p13 head
    5. open deck
    6. high compression
    sounds like jealousy to me!!!!

haha i kid i kid.

m:0432 699 951 e:pujitha115@optusnet.com.au msn:peejayy@hotmail.com

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Hybrid S and VTiR
    Great work Shane! Good to see the love for the Lude still alive and well. Keep us posted eh.

follar99
    how much did u pay for ur block to be sleeved?

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTi-R
    Funny, I saw you online the other day and thought I wonder what happened to his H23 VTEC build? Great to see you following through. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Custom
    Updated first with some more detail and pics of the sleeving:
    Back to page 1

Quote Originally Posted by AdReNaLiN View Post
    H23A VTEC
    197hp@6800/163tq@5300

1. 55mm mains
    2. no squiters
    4. p13 head
    5. open deck
    6. high compression
    These are correct! The page I found on archive.org was there for a few years but I can't find it now. It was translated from Japanese > Engrish > English (we love Engrish!) and the photos were no longer valid which stuffed the formatting of the page up. It's quite likely I was looking at specs for another engine - especially considering that this has an open deck as above, when I was expecting a closed deck!
    I was also expecting squirters - oh well ...

Quote Originally Posted by follar99 View Post
    arent these engines OBDII?
    Yes, merely an overcomable obstacle <evil laugh>

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyboy View Post
    Great work Shane! Good to see the love for the Lude still alive and well. Keep us posted eh.
    Cheers Mark - yes the love is still very much alive, it's just that the lude hasn't been
    I've had some fun runabout cars while the lude's been off the road but they're just not the same. I really want to be sittin' low and hearing the asphalt whip past underneath me again ... soon <sigh>

Quote Originally Posted by follar99 View Post
    how much did u pay for ur block to be sleeved?
    The sleeves cost $1,100.00 and the machining was $850.00

Rods

After much research and asking several builders which rods they prefer, I came across these little beauties:

So after measuring up the old rods and making some informed guesses I placed an order. The beam-shape is neither H nor I, they're more of a + shape and there's a lot of material right where it needs to be to keep torsional forces in check. They're still as light as any other forged rod and they're good for over 1000 hp so I think I'll be pretty safe.

Pistons

There are SOOOOOOO many pistons out there it's just not funny but I went with these:

Incidentally, these are the ONLY forged pistons that will work with stock FRM cylinder linings. Here is a good article on FRM liners, why Honda uses them and why they make changing the internals such a pain in the kiester:
    http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...ers/index.html

The pistons in this range come in either FRM-compatible coated or uncoated. I got the coated ones because there was only $40 difference and I would have had to wait forever to get the uncoated (obviouslyI don't need the coated ones coz I no longer have FRM liners but the coating does not interfere with the new sleeves).

After lots of measuring, lots of calculating, and a little bit of guesswork - this is for the detail nazis:

So we were aiming for a CR of 8.65:1 but assembled they oveshoot the sleeves by a little under 1mm, so the pistons needed machining and with the change in the dish volume of the piston head we're probably looking at 8.9:1.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si
    I might be a little out of my depth here, but wouldn't it be easier to just use a slightly thicker head gasket rather than machining the pistons?

PS: weird rod design, looks cool
    Quote Originally Posted by brash22 View Post
    You sir are mad. Like lock you in the nuthouse mad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabir View Post
    You sir are a prelude obsessed freak.
    Quote Originally Posted by hiru View Post
    you sir, are a prelunatic.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Custom
    Good train of thought but the head gasket specs to use with these sleeves are pretty specific so we opted for machining the pistons instead. The thicker the head gasket is, the more surface area of the shim there is to be vulnerable to the boost pressure + compression so we didn't want to put 2 head gaskets in like I know *some* have done!
    The pistons needed a light skim anyway to match them up perfectly so we just went a little bit more than light.