Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    I have only read pages 1-7 and 16, so forgive me if these have already been mentioned.

I find although i read everyones posts here i still dont really know anyone. How about a chat room? Log in, see who else has nothing better to do but loiter online... Chat about nothing in particular and maybe turn people you know about into people you know.

I think that advertising and promoting should be kept personal. I noticed a few posts regarding flyers and stickers... Although I would proudly wear a sticker, i think there are a lot of people who are not as curtious and respectful on the road, and PA could develop a bad reputation from selfish persons actions. They should be reserved for Premium members. It only takes one. I have been known to keep misc 3rd gen parts in the back of my 3g when i use to drive it daily, and if i saw a sad looking 3g in a carpark with a badge or hub trim missing, i would donate one. I've never met any owners though; I wonder if they noticed. haha.

Fix the premium member link at the bottom of the page (every page). I would happily pass 20$ to the cause and become a premium member but when i try to follow the links i go nowhere useful...

I have had a lot of experience in web dev, and tend to not like 3rd party forums. I find them very cumbersom and full of overhead. I find this forum anything but easy to use or simple, it seems to be (in all honesty) a mess of links that go nowhere or do very little, and many steps are needed for a minimal result. At the end of the day though i feel that that is just the nature of the beast. I prefer custom applications, but i don't think the necessary work and cost would justify the outcome at this stage for PA. As with an Iphone app (it was mentioned earlier)... Why?... I never understood why someone would install software on their phone to do things like order a pizza. I hate non-productivity software, that's what web applications and pdf's are for.

Make the reply box for threads a scalable width, it seems fixed on my screens at like 600px. I would rather see it at 800 or 1000, and not see the emoticon box :p
    Honda Pride!

Generation
    Other Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by gui.priaulx View Post
    I have only read pages 1-7 and 16, so forgive me if these have already been mentioned.

I find although i read everyones posts here i still dont really know anyone. How about a chat room? Log in, see who else has nothing better to do but loiter online... Chat about nothing in particular and maybe turn people you know about into people you know.

I think that advertising and promoting should be kept personal. I noticed a few posts regarding flyers and stickers... Although I would proudly wear a sticker, i think there are a lot of people who are not as curtious and respectful on the road, and PA could develop a bad reputation from selfish persons actions. They should be reserved for Premium members. It only takes one. I have been known to keep misc 3rd gen parts in the back of my 3g when i use to drive it daily, and if i saw a sad looking 3g in a carpark with a badge or hub trim missing, i would donate one. I've never met any owners though; I wonder if they noticed. haha.

Fix the premium member link at the bottom of the page (every page). I would happily pass 20$ to the cause and become a premium member but when i try to follow the links i go nowhere useful...

I have had a lot of experience in web dev, and tend to not like 3rd party forums. I find them very cumbersom and full of overhead. I find this forum anything but easy to use or simple, it seems to be (in all honesty) a mess of links that go nowhere or do very little, and many steps are needed for a minimal result. At the end of the day though i feel that that is just the nature of the beast. I prefer custom applications, but i don't think the necessary work and cost would justify the outcome at this stage for PA. As with an Iphone app (it was mentioned earlier)... Why?... I never understood why someone would install software on their phone to do things like order a pizza. I hate non-productivity software, that's what web applications and pdf's are for.

Make the reply box for threads a scalable width, it seems fixed on my screens at like 600px. I would rather see it at 800 or 1000, and not see the emoticon box :p
    some cool suggestions however if you use google chrome all text fields are scalable hahaha

Jesse's S2K Progress Thread : Click HERE!

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
    some cool suggestions however if you use google chrome all text fields are scalable hahaha
    I know. I just think it is bad practice to rely on a web browser to work around poor design :p
    Honda Pride!

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    gui.priaulx - though your ideas are wonderful, they are somewhat impractical.

FYI: I'm a web/graphic designer and developer (in my full time job) and I am currently looking after PA in my spare time - along with getting on with daily life as we all are.

1. We've had chat rooms in the past. Due to the regular minor number of users on at any one time, they were pulled down due to lack of use - and ease of maintenance.

I suggest using the "off topic" thread to get to know people not in your state. If you want to meet members in your state feel free to go along to the cruises and meets organised regularly by the club.

You can also send a PM to any member and start a dialog with them... or perhaps check out the "victorian members thread" and find email/MSN addresses of local members. There's similar threads in each local state section which contain such information.

2. Advertising. Anyone who wants a sticker should be able to have one. In an ideal world we would be able to tell who are "bad image" for the site and not allow it. But lets face it, just because you're a premium member doesnt mean you're not gonna go out and do burnouts at the local maccas carpark...

3. I was unaware the premuim member link was broken, I will look into fixing it.

4. I agree and dislike 3rd party forums myself. Feel free to develop PA its own forum. Until then, we'll stick with vBulletin because it works. If you're having trouble using the website, please ask an experienced member or admin any questions about the site.

5. Its actually a free install on the forum to enable an app for iPhone and Andriod phones to view a forum in a very quick and easy way (without downloading all the additional things such as forum logos and signature images - saves bandwidth). There's plenty of times you might want to view a forum on your phone. I've listed a perfect example below:

You're driving home from work one day, you happen to have a few spare 3g parts in the boot of your lude and you find you have a CEL code on the dash and the engine enters limp mode. You pull over to try and fix the problem. You realise you left your trusty 3g workshop manual at home (because its as big as a phone book) so you jump on your iPhone to quickly look up the CEL code on the dash before you start to diagnose the problem with your car.

I know I'd prefer to use an app on my phone, than have to download a million people's signatures just to find a small piece of info...

6. I believe with the upgrade of the forum software (coming soon) you'll find there will be a lot more usable things including bigger message boxes etc.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Quote Originally Posted by AdReNaLiN View Post
    gui.priaulx - though your ideas are wonderful, they are somewhat impractical.

FYI: I'm a web/graphic designer and developer (in my full time job) and I am currently looking after PA in my spare time - along with getting on with daily life as we all are.

1. We've had chat rooms in the past. Due to the regular minor number of users on at any one time, they were pulled down due to lack of use - and ease of maintenance.

I suggest using the "off topic" thread to get to know people not in your state. If you want to meet members in your state feel free to go along to the cruises and meets organised regularly by the club.

You can also send a PM to any member and start a dialog with them... or perhaps check out the "victorian members thread" and find email/MSN addresses of local members. There's similar threads in each local state section which contain such information.

2. Advertising. Anyone who wants a sticker should be able to have one. In an ideal world we would be able to tell who are "bad image" for the site and not allow it. But lets face it, just because you're a premium member doesnt mean you're not gonna go out and do burnouts at the local maccas carpark...

3. I was unaware the premuim member link was broken, I will look into fixing it.

4. I agree and dislike 3rd party forums myself. Feel free to develop PA its own forum. Until then, we'll stick with vBulletin because it works. If you're having trouble using the website, please ask an experienced member or admin any questions about the site.

5. Its actually a free install on the forum to enable an app for iPhone and Andriod phones to view a forum in a very quick and easy way (without downloading all the additional things such as forum logos and signature images - saves bandwidth). There's plenty of times you might want to view a forum on your phone. I've listed a perfect example below:

You're driving home from work one day, you happen to have a few spare 3g parts in the boot of your lude and you find you have a CEL code on the dash and the engine enters limp mode. You pull over to try and fix the problem. You realise you left your trusty 3g workshop manual at home (because its as big as a phone book) so you jump on your iPhone to quickly look up the CEL code on the dash before you start to diagnose the problem with your car.

I know I'd prefer to use an app on my phone, than have to download a million people's signatures just to find a small piece of info...

6. I believe with the upgrade of the forum software (coming soon) you'll find there will be a lot more usable things including bigger message boxes etc.
    Fair enough.

I know you are a web designer; I did my research .

Now you mention it, I think I do remember a chat link on the top nav bar, but I seem to recall it never working for me... I know I can PM people, but i find that sort of..awkward? I'd feel like some sort of sexual predator; is that normal? I don't know. It's just something i don't do without having a solid contention I guess.

I realise that anyone, even a premium member can be a hooligan, it's just that from past experiences, the trouble makers in general don't spend money on things like membership or school uniform; don't get me wrong - it could happen :p I guess i was just trying to emphasise some sort of reservation on pblic disclosure; be it premium membership or some other sort of rating. It's funny you mention maccas; I get a clear mental image of a corrola with maccas trays under it's back wheels and the hand brake on - not from experience.

I'm still not sold on iphone apps. I keep a pdf copy of the manuals on my phone, among other things. I am also writing my own support documentation to address a lot of changes in my 3g, which is intended to be friendlier than the pdf I downloaded. Regardless, I have solved almost all the issues i have had with little more than a multimeter, screw driver, and socket set.

I highly respect your opinion regarding the web site - your portfolio is very tidy, and you seem to have significantly more experience than me in your feild of programming. My work is mainly cross platform and technology integration, and i no longer do it full time; it's just personal projects and for friends businesses - Mainly intranet or application specific tasks. I am not having any trouble using this website. I just don't find it intuitive nor practical. Just as I find it impractical to have to take everything out of my boot to get to the spare tyre... Doesn't mean i can't :p To avoid the signitures etc from loading when not desired, i would probably just add another session variable to lighten the output when accessed from mobile browsers, or make another front end.

It's funny you say "Feel free to develop PA its own forum", some friends of mine started a car club on the mornington peninsula 3 years ago for japanese and exotic cars. Although my prelude falls into neither of those categories being audm; I found PA looking at other websites for ideas... I think my project name was "Peninsula Rice" (LOL) during initial development, but only got halfway through a SketchFlow prototype, and made some classes before other things came up and it all sort of dissapeared.

I look foreward to the upgrade then . I know my statements wern't quite practical, which is why i didn't emphasise on anything too much. It was just a thought i guess... Thanks for the reply; I like it how you always get to the point and present things in a thought-out manner.
    Honda Pride!

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    No probs mate, I find it more of appealing to offer as much as I can to the users of the forum. If an iPhone app is out there and its free to implement on the forum, why not.

In the future a PA chat may come back - I'll see what happens with the forum upgrade later on. There's a heap more features and forum add-ons in version 4 of vBulletin.

Perhaps you could PM me with things you have found "un-intuitive" or "impractical" about the forum layout etc. As far as I'm concerned, our forum is very much just like any other vBulletin forum?

I like to be to-the-point with my comments some find it offensive - glad you didnt...