Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTiR

EPA Victoria Modified Vehicle Guide

MODIFIED VEHICLE GUIDELINES 2006

TECHNICAL GUIDELINES FOR AIR AND NOISE EMISSION REQUIREMENTS
    FOR MODIFIED IN-SERVICE VEHICLES

This is an important and valuable resource for us modders if we would like to keep on the right side of the law.

Download/View Document

It covers topics such as intakes, intake filters, engine modifications, ECU, exhaust manifolds (header), exhaust, turbos, PCV, fuel systems (injectors, pumps).

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    S
    genius, this should stop alot of un needed threads getting created recoving topics :p
    good work i shall browse and see if i have anything to worry about when i get pulled over next...

edit cos i read it! -
    you can have a pod (dry type only) or an intercooler.......but not both! lol, stupid.
    also, no after market intake plenums, throttle bodies, or injectors? these are like the second tier of mods people do really...
    everyshow car in the world with engine work is defectable :p
    Last edited by xmkydx; 26th March 2008 at 06:39 PM.

PM me for all your car audio and other miscellaneous installation needs.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    yea its pretty insane you can't do much.

Generation
    Other Honda
    Great find! But it's pretty restrictive, some of the more subtle mods i had planned can be canned if I were to go 'by the book'!
    Zimbabwe...

Generation
    4th Generation
    but plenum/throttle body/fuel were my next mods!

i didn't know plenum was defectable...

pfft...whatever...i'm still doin it...
    Now...
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/ITZTRU/forumssignatureimagetrial2.jpg
    ...It Really "IS" True!

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTI-R
    anyone know if tehres a nsw one around?

Generation
    5th Gen
    I'm being screwed by this right now, I've got a 300rwkw+ single turbo Soarer and have just found out the car basically needs to be returned to stock to pass the test, I have to remove EVERYTHING...

Single turbo kit, ECU, injectors, fuel pump, cams, cam gears, boost controller, FMIC ect ect... What a PITA.

The plan is to remove EVERYTHING, replace with stock parts, sell all my aftermarket parts off, sell the car as a stocker and get a clean 5th Gen. It's gonna be a fun Christmas.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Flying Broomstick
    which cop got you??
    Imitation is the best form of flattery

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    can engineering certificates get around any of these rules? one would assume if an engineer says it's safe/done correctly it'd be alright...right?

Generation
    5th Gen
    Quote Originally Posted by angrylarry View Post
    can engineering certificates get around any of these rules? one would assume if an engineer says it's safe/done correctly it'd be alright...right?
    Mechanically they can, but the issue isn't really a roadworthy one, basically ANY mod you do that will increase emissions over stock isn't standard and passing EPA is impossible.

So, no fuel pump, fuel pressure reg, fuel injectors or tune-able ECU, then you have to keep factory configuration turbos and only one induction mod lol.

Quote Originally Posted by !JonZap! View Post
    which cop got you??
    I live in Knox, take one guess... lol
    Morgan can't wait to fit some suspension mods

Generation
    Other Honda
    Model
    Nissan Sextrail ST
    ^Are you up this late removing mods? lol

Generation
    5th Gen
    Nar, off work currently with a work cover injury, so I've become quite the insomniac hahahaha.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Hey guys, had my EPA inspection today.

It was the first EPA test I've done at the new places, tests used to be conducted at the actual EPA in Mcleod, now they have commissioned 2 workshops to do it, at the workshop today they were a lot more thorough than they used to be, car up on the hoist, checking for EVERYTHING, I asked to be present while they tested it and he asked me "Have you modified you EGR valve?"

I had never been asked that in the past, Soarers don't have them but it was on his list of things to check, I noticed that was a mod on here that people do in the FAQ section, just letting you guys know so that you don't go there thinking "Nar mate, she'll be sweet" and failing your test.

TYPE SH Prelude
    It used to be that meeting emissions standards resulted in severe reduction in Hp .Like in case you did not know for example , the 1975 Corvette with a 7 liter V8 engine only add a output of 150 HP.For comparison purposes thats like a 2.2l engine with 50hp . lol Thanks to computer technology the reduction of HP due to meeting emissions standards as been reduced to a trivial level .During cruising , a modern engine runs in what is called a closed loop mode which runs the engine as lean as possible and its emissions output very clean.When you floor it , the ECU goes open loop , and the engine runs at maximum output with out any concern for emissions.In 1983 they could not do such a thing with the 3 barrel carburetor that was on the 2nd gen lude for example so performance suffered for the sake of emissions. In the recent past I have herd of situations where people have removed their cat with bad results. They get a slight gain in top end power while their low rpm power goes to hell because their engines are designed to need that cat back pressure at low rpms.By restricting what you can replace on your engine in a real sense is saving people from spending lots of money on aftermarket enhancements that only give marginal improvements.

Also if you should get in a major accident that results in major claims , the insurance company can refuse to pay and leave you holding the bag if they find you have an illegally modified car whose HP is significantly more then the car they thought they were insuring .Remember insurance companies make money by not paying claims !
    Last edited by TYPE SH Prelude; 22nd March 2009 at 04:35 AM.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTiR
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
    Hey guys, had my EPA inspection today.

It was the first EPA test I've done at the new places, tests used to be conducted at the actual EPA in Mcleod, now they have commissioned 2 workshops to do it, at the workshop today they were a lot more thorough than they used to be, car up on the hoist, checking for EVERYTHING, I asked to be present while they tested it and he asked me "Have you modified you EGR valve?"

I had never been asked that in the past, Soarers don't have them but it was on his list of things to check, I noticed that was a mod on here that people do in the FAQ section, just letting you guys know so that you don't go there thinking "Nar mate, she'll be sweet" and failing your test.
    Did they believe you? Or did they look for your non-existant EGR valve?
    <a href=http://www.preludeaustralia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42730 target=_blank>http://www.preludeaustralia.com/foru...ad.php?t=42730</a>
    Back to it's former glory... Almost.