Page 4 of 103 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Just a little update from this weekend:

1. Had swaybar brackets welded to the subframe. The stock bracket tore up (yet again) and I have now got Progress brand rear swaybar brackets from the USA. They're like 5mm thick steel and are solid as a rock.

Compare the stock bracket with the new Progress bracket. Big difference. Dont ask how I got them cuz I spent months searching the internet for someone getting rid of these without the actual progress swaybar itself. I managed to find a guy who had already sold the bar but not the brackets. Progress will not sell you the brackets without the entire swaybar kit. I tried.

I will be bolting the bracket in after drilling and tapping some holes next weekend. (didnt have the tools to do that this weekend). Bolts > Welds in strength. Hopefuly they wont tear out ever again!

2. Update on the gauge pod. I've been applying body filler/resin combo to the pod to make it nice and easy to sand. The shape is coming along nicely now. I have done an initial sanding job on it and this is after applying another run of filler.

Enjoy.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si-Vtec
    first 2 pics don't work. good work so far mate!
    Want to see my car? Click here!

Generation
    4th Gen
    I'm really enjoying following this thread - great work! Hanging for more pics of the pods as they come along.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Pics are fixed for first 2.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    I might ask for this thread to be moved to the progress threads area. And renamed to AdReNaLiN's Progress Thread.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Brackets ftw! Was there any damage to the chassis rail that you needed to fix up as well?

-az
    B68-P 4th Gen Si - Tuned H22, Tuned Chassis, Detuned Driver

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    S
    as I said to you yesterday steve, it's all comming along very nicely

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    S
    looking good so far buddy, those new sway mounts are crazy good luck tearing thru those!

PM me for all your car audio and other miscellaneous installation needs.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Quote Originally Posted by azjs View Post
    Brackets ftw! Was there any damage to the chassis rail that you needed to fix up as well?

-az
    Yes - as you can see there's a piece of plate welded to the chasis rail before the bracket was welded on... Will drill and tap holes for bolts as well.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si turned VTIR
    Nice work! those welds look good too. Once you bolt the suckers in they will never move again!

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Yeah i'm not gonna put a long bolt right through the chasis though...

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Update for this weekend:

More sanding of the gauge pod. Tip to anyone doing fibreglassing: only apply filler to places that really need it. If you overdo the filler you will be sanding for hours! Then again - you cant really avoid the sanding stage...

I bought some stuff on advice from Ian called SprayFiller/Primer which is basically a spray on body filler and once you've got a pretty smooth finish you can spray it on to fill the smaller pits/scratches from the sandpaper.

I test fitted the gauges for you guys to take a look at. Note: the gauges are not fully pushed in as that would practically make them not removable again! They really jam in there tight which is good.

This is why they may appear to sit at odd angles to each other...

Here's some pics before applying spray filler:

Those with a keen eye may've noticed that I reshaped the way the bottom gauge meets with the middle gauge so that the 2 points where the gauges are bridged together are more uniform.

In this picture you can see on the top gauge I have had to carve right through the fibreglass section and fill it with plastibond (a stronger version of body filler). This is because I realised that the gauge in the middle wasnt going to fit because the wall of the top gauge was too wide. I reshaped it until it was a better fit.

After applying Spray Filler.

Spray filler seems to only be available from Autobarn. I have not seen it at Supercheap or Bunnings.

If anyone's got any ideas as to how I can achieve a factory colour/texture with the gauge pod please let me know. I've decided not to trim it as it will be too difficult due to its shape.
    Enjoy.

Generation
    Other Honda
    Model
    Si 4ws
    top work mate!

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    great work! im quite interested in that spray filler stuff. i might need to grab me a can.

Good to see som customwork being done here but, the way the gauges arent exactly 100% bugs me (thats just me being anal) It would annoy me alot since its in my direct view whilst driving. It woudl be prety hard to get these spot on, so i mightv bought a $30 off ebay, and then modified it to fit our pillars. thats just me though.

looking quite good though i must say. As for the factory look - that will be hard as its not a paint on the factory pieces, the plastic is colored. maybe a black/ dark grey crinkle paint? but i think the crinkles will be too large. since its the whole pillar just a njice satin/matte black will look good. trying to imitate factory and it not looking quite right will look shoddy.

Just my 2c.

EDIT: one issue you may encounter is that the added layers of fibreglass and filler may have thickened up the pillar so much so that tucking it back into the dash and headliner might be too much of a squeeze. So its best to fit it before you finish it with paint/vinyl/whatever.
    Last edited by peejayy; 6th April 2008 at 10:13 PM.

m:0432 699 951 e:pujitha115@optusnet.com.au msn:peejayy@hotmail.com

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Being able to match stock is gonna be a PIA, but what if you paint the other one too so as not to look out of place?
    .:I'm too flexxxy for my shirt, too flexxxy for my shirt:.