Page 3 of 103 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    There's no commercial gauge pods around for 4th gen to suit RHD. And the generic pods look like shit. So I figured - why not make my own.

Its been a learning experience!

I plan to run Oil Pressure, Oil Temp and Boost Gauges. I have smoked face gauges to go with the 4th gen dashboard

Generation
    Other Honda
    Model
    Gpx FTO
    v nice,
    ive just bought an spare pillar cover for my car

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    S
    nice one stevey, love your work man

Generation
    Other Honda
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Quote Originally Posted by luda89 View Post
    are those welds on the exhuast manifold going to cut it???

they look a bit dodgey, just blogged on there??
    like adrenalin said its not how it looks that defines how good a weld is.... and also the more important part here is how smooth the welds are inside the tubing.

great work champ! keep it up!

Generation
    Other Honda
    Model
    VTEC
    lol have fun sanding that...says the man who made his own kit and sub boxes...

looks like it will turn out ok but tip of advice......

- use a dremel (if you have one to sand the insides of the cups)
    - work a bit cleaner

thats good thinknig tho.. didnt know guages fit in the tow ball holders.. mite look into that for when my engine goes in.
    the universal guage holders do fit in.. you just cut the cup parts out in a straight line, screw or glue it down and then bog/glass the edges smooth...

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    they stick out alot, maybe for someone whos looking into doing it themselves, could recess the gauges into the pillar as much as possible, so that its more flush looking.

but good work.

m:0432 699 951 e:pujitha115@optusnet.com.au msn:peejayy@hotmail.com

Generation
    Other Honda
    Thats an awesome effort mate, and very ingenuitive with the t-shirt material... however they're not even :/ I know it isnt vital, but that would distract the fvck out of me.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Quote Originally Posted by -=AndyV=- View Post
    lol have fun sanding that...says the man who made his own kit and sub boxes...

looks like it will turn out ok but tip of advice......

- use a dremel (if you have one to sand the insides of the cups)
    - work a bit cleaner

thats good thinknig tho.. didnt know guages fit in the tow ball holders.. mite look into that for when my engine goes in.
    the universal guage holders do fit in.. you just cut the cup parts out in a straight line, screw or glue it down and then bog/glass the edges smooth...

I didnt want universal gauge holders though. This looks a hell of a lot cleaner than the universal ones.

Sanding will be fine because what you're seeing there is the bogging layer.

But thanks for your advice... it will turn out better than just ok.

Quote Originally Posted by peejayy View Post
    they stick out alot, maybe for someone whos looking into doing it themselves, could recess the gauges into the pillar as much as possible, so that its more flush looking.

but good work.
    I looked at recessing the gauges into the pillar - I wanted to cut them right in. If you've ever pulled the a-pillar trim off, there is no point in doing that as the plastic sits right up against the metal. You would have to start cutting away your metal a-pillar in order to do any recessing of the gauges.

Thats not something I wanted to do.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    I looked at recessing the gauges into the pillar - I wanted to cut them right in. If you've ever pulled the a-pillar trim off, there is no point in doing that as the plastic sits right up against the metal. You would have to start cutting away your metal a-pillar in order to do any recessing of the gauges.

Thats not something I wanted to do.
    ah thats fair enough then. but what about the gauges? Are they the full length as those towball covers? i got an A/F ratio gauge a whil eback and it wasnt as deep as the universal holder was, it was a good 1.5" shorter...

just a thought. good to see youve covered every angle. when do you think youll be doin the rest of the prep work?

and what finish are you going to give it? vinyl? diy paint? proper body paint??

m:0432 699 951 e:pujitha115@optusnet.com.au msn:peejayy@hotmail.com

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Quote Originally Posted by peejayy View Post
    ah thats fair enough then. but what about the gauges? Are they the full length as those towball covers? i got an A/F ratio gauge a whil eback and it wasnt as deep as the universal holder was, it was a good 1.5" shorter...

just a thought. good to see youve covered every angle. when do you think youll be doin the rest of the prep work?

and what finish are you going to give it? vinyl? diy paint? proper body paint??
    Yeah I tested the depth of the gauges, they fill the entire towball cover depth. I had to extend 2 of the towball covers by cutting and shutting because they werent deep enough.

The gauges fit in really tightly too. Its a pity they werent able to be recessed.

The rest of the prepping will take place this weekend and later this week.

I'm tossing up trimming it in Suede or Painting It the factory grey colour.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Quote Originally Posted by Knickers View Post
    Thats an awesome effort mate, and very ingenuitive with the t-shirt material... however they're not even :/ I know it isnt vital, but that would distract the fvck out of me.
    This view shows that the gauge placement is very even.

Because of the way the 4th gen pillar is, they needed to be spaced like this to achieve this effect.

I will be evening out the shape more with body filler.

Generation
    Other Honda

Yeah they're close, but the one down the end doesnt quite line up... like I said its a great job, but something like this would annoy me too much Its like when I did my chrome gauge rings, and one of them had a slight mark on it... I almost crashed numerous times because it kept distracting me

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    I know the one at the bottom doesnt line up - its cuz if you notice, its shorter than the other 2 gauge pods. I had to extend 2 so they fitted the extra length of the other gauges.

In order to make all 3 gauges point at my face they had to be lined up like this.

Generation
    Other Honda
    Fair enough.. I would have just used the same size (being the biggest) for all of them to avoid the problem, but if you're comfortable with it then coo

Again, respect on the DIY

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si turned VTIR
    Nice work mate! I can see where your going with this. Looking forward to the final result!