Page 58 of 103 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
    Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Here's the pics from today's successful build of my front engine mount:

Welding... with thongs on!

Checking out the progress on the mock-up engine block... yeah I got spares!

Ian on the daily grind...

I welded the nut on - just like factory.

No engine mount...

My welding helmet.

And here's the final product before painting:

Gives the turbo tonnes of clearance!

Boost tastes funny.

And the final product mounted with paint

Here's a comparison of the previous mockup thicknesses vs the final product engine mount thickness.

I went and found myself some nice 3mm wall thickness RHS to make the brackets from.
    The base plates are all 4mm thickness. This should provide plenty enough strength.

We then took some advice (thanks si_4ws) and made the top bracket a variation on the original mockup. Shifted the main U bracket over so that the rod would sit totally vertical. The bolt to the block sits inside this bracket and is a hex head cap bolt so I can do it up.

Ian then made up an beautiful piece that fits nicely around the shape of the block and braces all 3 pieces together. This is the vertical end cap piece you see as most visible when looking at the engine mount. This should relieve any kind of pivoting stresses from the one bolt in the block down lower. And hopefuly it'll get shared between all 3 engine mount bolts.

Enjoy!

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    impressive as always,

did you think about black for the engine mount color? Unfortunately thats the extent of the input i can offer.

Great work as always.

m:0432 699 951 e:pujitha115@optusnet.com.au msn:peejayy@hotmail.com

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    Much better guys. Bloody good job.

One though. Drill a small hole into the lower base plate or something to let the water out when you wash the engine bay.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Vti-R
    It's good to see that the lack of a proper welding bench, or a bench with a vice, and other such luxuries doesn't stop you from doing the job. And doing it well. Good job boys.
    The only way this could have been a more Aussie back yard effort is if Ian was wearing a set of pluggers like Steve. (ya lettin the team down Ian) LMAO.
    But regardless of the conditions you worked in, or equipment you had. The job was executed flawlessly.
    Honestly, you couldn't expect better from any engineers shop anywhere. (and honestly, you probably wouldn't get anywhere near that attention to detail from a shop)
    Bloody good effort guys!
    http://www.preludeaustralia.com/foru..._view&id=12025
    Link to my garage.^^^^

When words fail, VTec speaks!

Quote Originally Posted by EXO8IC View Post
    My car is a twin turbo and has a blow valve with another little valve thing attached which silences that WOOSH (which I HATE) but it makes more of a strange sucking noise which can be heard quite loudly from my vents on the bonnet. It's quite odd...

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Quote Originally Posted by peejayy View Post
    did you think about black for the engine mount color? Unfortunately thats the extent of the input i can offer.

Great work as always.
    Thanks.
    Charcoal is the theme colour - all the other engine mounts are this colour. So is the brake booster and the spark plug cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Much better guys. Bloody good job.

One though. Drill a small hole into the lower base plate or something to let the water out when you wash the engine bay.
    Thanks bob, I will definately consider drilling a small hole somewhere for this purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    Bloody good effort guys!
    Thanks Paccy! Despite not having all the fancy gear, we get the job done!

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    Looks really good, nice job! Whole progress thread is very impressive

81 x 95..... probably could have made a decent tractor engine

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si turned VTIR
    Great job guys!!

I can`t see you having any problems with the final design.
    It's a shame that I missed the manufacture...I'm currently enjoying the extreeme humidity in Japan right now! It's bloody hot here!

Back yard engineering FTW!

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Quote Originally Posted by Si_4ws View Post
    Looks really good, nice job! Whole progress thread is very impressive
    Thanks mate, and I'd like to say I valued your opinion on the previous engine mount design. You made me re-think where I was headed with it and it turned out better than I could've imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Great job guys!!

I can`t see you having any problems with the final design.
    It's a shame that I missed the manufacture...I'm currently enjoying the extreeme humidity in Japan right now! It's bloody hot here!

Back yard engineering FTW!
    Thanks Scotty! Its a shame I'm not in Japan right now! Beats welding stuff hands down!

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Onto the next instalment of this weekend's fabrication. Yes the mood carried on to Sunday where I decided to fab up a custom heater pipe fitting.

I wanted to convert all my heater hoses to braided so I didnt have to replace them ever again. In order to achieve this, I needed a custom 90deg bend on the fitting because braided hose doesnt like tight 90 deg corners.

I bought some mild steel tube with an M12 inner dia as part of the engine mount fabrication. I thought I might've needed it as a spacer for some of the bolts. Turns out I didnt use it. But I found the perfect application for it after all!

On with the pics:

Anyone who's worked with braided hose knows the pains of the braid jabbing your fingertips as you try to work around it. The turbo oil drain tube is one of these components that really needs some protection for your hands. I decided I'd heatshrink the entire braided hose and end all my hastles with pulling the turbo on and off.

A couple of nice enginebay shots showing the engine in its current state. Its getting closer and closer to start date.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si-Vtec
    Very impressive. That engine mount looks much better. All coming together now ay!
    Want to see my car? Click here!

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    si 4ws TURBO
    there is SO MUCH ATTENTION TO DETAIL . that engine bay is flawless . you and ian pulled off the engine mount with out even sweeting and with back yard / shed tools as mentioned . . +10 +10 +10 . again TOP FU*KING JOB BOYS

GARAGE : http://www.preludeaustralia.com/foru..._vehicle&id=30

BUILD THREAD : http://www.preludeaustralia.com/foru...o-3rd-gen-lude

VIDEOS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usazsV_c_zU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psgNZjLqRrw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRn-1Oeashw

Quote Originally Posted by SAKI View Post
    PS: Can't wait to see your beast in action.. going to be one the highest power 3rd gens out there i reckon..
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    I am going down now to show them mine....

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Thanks guys, I'm very happy with how things are progressing again. Now to tackle that intercooler pipe again...

Generation
    Other Honda
    Model
    Si 4ws
    sorry i dont follow... was the washers for the 90 deg bend to face the right way? ie so the thread ended in the right spot if that makes sense?

and if not, how did you get the thread to end in the exact right spot for the elbow to bend back?

sorry probably a stupid question...

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Quote Originally Posted by hiru View Post
    sorry i dont follow... was the washers for the 90 deg bend to face the right way? ie so the thread ended in the right spot if that makes sense?

and if not, how did you get the thread to end in the exact right spot for the elbow to bend back?

sorry probably a stupid question...
    There's no washers there, just lots of thread tape. I turned the fitting til it went tight in the block and I ended up having it face upward vertical so I went 1/4 turn back to get it facing the right way.

Fingers crossed and hope it seals I guess. The other option is to continue turning it and hope it goes another turn after its tight and doesnt break.

Lets hope it never gets to that.

Only one way to find out if it actually seals though - and I'm a little way off that just yet.

Generation
    Other Honda
    Model
    Si 4ws
    ^^ why not stick a washer under it there to get the seating height right? hope that makes sense.. maybe a crush washer? that way you have some play too...

oh n i re-read ur post i get the washer thing now lol.