Page 35 of 103 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast
    Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Si
    I actually prefer the look you're going for over the ones that have been so perfect it looks like a single forged piece or something. You probably also save a kilo or two worth of filler and weight savings are always nice.

EDIT: by the way, been watching your thread for ages and I have to say that its one very impressive build you've done here. I love the effort you've gone to detail and make this clear for us all and explain yourself. Here's hoping it blasts through all expectations and produces a monster.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTi-R
    Are you sanding it all by hand? Damn you are keen.

Have you thought about buying/borrowing/hiring a sanding mouse?

I have one of these, it's brilliant.

The model I have also allows me to plug the vacuum directly into the back of it, which keeps the dust and crap down to an absolute minimum.
    AMPERAGE

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Quote Originally Posted by Shan View Post
    I actually prefer the look you're going for over the ones that have been so perfect it looks like a single forged piece or something. You probably also save a kilo or two worth of filler and weight savings are always nice.

EDIT: by the way, been watching your thread for ages and I have to say that its one very impressive build you've done here. I love the effort you've gone to detail and make this clear for us all and explain yourself. Here's hoping it blasts through all expectations and produces a monster.
    Possibly most of the ones you've seen have additional flat pieces of metal welded in to hide a lot of the factory pressed steel. I dont want that look - I'd rather it look more like honda built it this way.

The ones you're describing are often nicknamed "bathtub" enginebays because they're too perfect...

Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate it. Its been a long haul getting the car how I want it, but I have a feeling its all going to work out in the end... Its good to know people are still reading this novel of a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by AMPERAGE View Post
    Are you sanding it all by hand? Damn you are keen.

Have you thought about buying/borrowing/hiring a sanding mouse?
    I have a bosch mouse sander with its own dust filter, I also have a random orbital bosch sander, a grinder with numerous sanding discs, a drill bit with a rotary flap wheel, and a wire wheel on a impact wrench.

The sanding block is just there for the final detail getting the surface very straight along the frame rails.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTi-R
    Ah alright, no worries. I saw the sanding block and thought you were attacking the whole thing by hand.
    AMPERAGE

Generation
    Other Honda
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Quote Originally Posted by AdReNaLiN View Post
    Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate it. Its been a long haul getting the car how I want it, but I have a feeling its all going to work out in the end... Its good to know people are still reading this novel of a thread.
    my silence in watching this thread intently is purely to save adding to the length by me making every second post "i love this build! it is amazing!" and so on lol....

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Commenced work on the passenger side tonight - here's a sneak peak.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Custom
    If you look carefully you can see the elbow grease dripping down those panels!

BTW, does your compressor map happen to look like this:

The path of Honda is beset on all sides by the iniquities of Mazda and the tyranny of Nissan. Blessed is the Honda owner who in the name of handling and performance shepherds his Honda through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his Honda's keeper and the finder of lost kilowatts. And I will strike down upon thee with great acceleration and furious VTEC those who attempt to overtake and destroy my Hondas. And you will know my name is PRELUDE when I lay my VTEC upon thee.

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    Si
    Thats going to be a motherf@cker to polish...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    +1 it's stiffness that counts. Not Diameter. At least thats what the wife tells me.
    (not sure she knows that much about cars though)

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    I cant find a compressor map for my turbo as its a "cheap chinese" knockoff version of a garret. Here's the specs.

SPECS:
    .50 A/R COMPRESSOR
    .63 A/R TURBINE
    .57 TRIM

TURBINE WHEEL:
    EXDUCER: 2.48"
    MAYOR : 2.89"

COMPRESSOR WHEEL :
    EXDUCER: 2.07"
    MAYOR : 2.36"

I'm not sure what the specs are on the garret you posted...

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Custom
    Hmm, it's a smaller compressor wheel and larger turbine wheel that the Garret T04E so the map will probably be nothing like it. But I noticed the T04E plate and the 0.50 A/R comp housing and thought this is the one you had. Just trying to see where you're going with this ... ... carry on

btw, does cheap chinese knockoff mean journal bearing?
    The path of Honda is beset on all sides by the iniquities of Mazda and the tyranny of Nissan. Blessed is the Honda owner who in the name of handling and performance shepherds his Honda through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his Honda's keeper and the finder of lost kilowatts. And I will strike down upon thee with great acceleration and furious VTEC those who attempt to overtake and destroy my Hondas. And you will know my name is PRELUDE when I lay my VTEC upon thee.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Quote Originally Posted by Seismic View Post
    Just trying to see where you're going with this ... ... carry on

btw, does cheap chinese knockoff mean journal bearing?
    It means, its a chinese made turbo. An imitation garret.
    I basically have no idea where its going to make full boost or how much power it'll potentially make.

If it doesnt give the performance I'm expecting, I'll likely ditch the current turbo for a genuine garret/american brand.

I'm assuming you're windowshopping for turbos at the moment shane?

I bought this one because it came with the custom manifold/wastegate very cheap on ebay used. The guy apparently got defected heavily and had to return the car to standard and couldnt afford it. Lets hope I dont have his bad luck.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Custom
    ^^ Assumption correct! I was leaning heavily in one direction but now I'm not so sure. So the guy had this seup on a 4th/5th gen? It looks like a decent size wastegate so he was probably expecting to make high flow with it all.
    Defected huh? Wonder if he was venting his bypass to atmo?

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Heay the whole setup was on a h22...

I have a feelin thats proly part of the prob. The other issue was to do with him destroying a motor (probably due to poor tuning) and not having any money to fix it.

I'd say it'll flow fairly well for the size of engine.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    I have just finished sanding the shock tower on the Passenger side. I thought I'd share with you guys how it starts out vs how it finishes. You can see I sand the filler really thin and by the time I'm done there's hardly any filler on the car.

And here's a shot of what the wheel well looks like.

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    Mate you are a brave man doing all this to your car. It's coming along very nicely indeed.