Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prelude Tow bar

Generation
    4th Generation

Prelude Tow bar

Hello Everyone,

I would like to know does anyone have a towbar on the back of their 4th Gen lude?? I am thinking of installing one to pull my 17ft boat.

Anyone pulled anything like a boat with their lude?? I dont think the engine would struggle, i Just think it would be more of a suspension issue.

Let me know if its been done??

Cheers Paul

Generation
    Non Honda
    Ive seen a 4th gen pull a trailer full of wood up one of the steeper hills in Canberra O.o

Generation
    Non Honda
    ludes can only tow up to 450kg
    ]

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTiR
    Im sure you could tow it, but it may not like it.

just hold a lower gear and it should be ok and get some heavy duty springs and shocks because the back will be slammed if put under that much load.

My Mind Not Only Wanders,
    It Sometimes Leaves Completelly

Generation
    5th Gen
    isnt that 450kg just for an unbraked load? how much does the boat weigh? i have a towbar on my 5th gen, haven't actually towed anything with it yet but i plan to tow the dirtbikes behind it one day when i get my trailer repaired... just find out weights and towing weights of your car. should be located in ur hand book..

Generation
    4th Generation
    I just looked at Hayman Reece towbars and they have one with a 700kg Braked towing Capacity. I just want to hear from someone that has towed some weight. I am looking at going down to Jervis Bay from Sydney with a boat on the back, at a cruisin speed of course.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    my 4th gens got a bar. unfortunately havent towed yet but will do wen i get a tongue (jus box trailer with 3 motorbikes)
    its not the speed that hurts......Its the sudden stop......

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Custom
    I have a Hayman Reese towbar on my 4th gen - had it for years. The tongue unbolts from the bar to return it to a stock look when I'm not towing anything, and I have the wiring loom coiled in the boot so there are no holes in the bumper etc.
    From memory, the bar has a rated capacity of 700kg with a ball weight of 80kg.
    I've towed far more than that on occasion!! Recently I've towed a trailer with 1.2 tonnes of landfill in it. I've towed a flat bed trailer with a commodore on it (1.6 tonnes) and yes I've towed a boat.
    Be very careful when you launch your boat, the lude being a front wheel drive and all - you may not get back up the ramp!! Also, if you've lowered the car you're going to have trouble getting far enough into the water to launch a boat.
    Oh, my lude at the time was stock standard S model (soft springs and F22a SOHC motor) and it handled the boat just fine when on the road. I actually drag-raced my brother's VK Calais from a set of lights in Bris CBD while towing the boat and very nearly beat him!
    The path of Honda is beset on all sides by the iniquities of Mazda and the tyranny of Nissan. Blessed is the Honda owner who in the name of handling and performance shepherds his Honda through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his Honda's keeper and the finder of lost kilowatts. And I will strike down upon thee with great acceleration and furious VTEC those who attempt to overtake and destroy my Hondas. And you will know my name is PRELUDE when I lay my VTEC upon thee.

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    good to hear we can tow some weight
    honda engines are very torquey so power shouldnt be an issue
    its not the speed that hurts......Its the sudden stop......

Generation
    5th Gen
    Model
    VTEC
    I have an OEM back on my 5th gen and instead of taking it of the previous owner went straight through and put a tow bar... hint if your going to do it, remover the rear lip, and if you dont wnt to and you want to take it over late, dont just boggy it over and hope for the best....! (if you dont beleive me just see pic of the back of my car)!
    PIMPOLGY

GLOWRIDAZ

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Paul,

Did you end up installing a tow bar on your car if so where did you get it done, I can't seem to find one for my 3rd gen prelude, Hayman Reese said they can't supply one for at least 6 to 8 weeks and it would depend if or when they had other orders for the same bar.

Cheers

Cliff

Generation
    4th Generation
    Quote Originally Posted by Seismic View Post
    I have a Hayman Reese towbar on my 4th gen - had it for years. The tongue unbolts from the bar to return it to a stock look when I'm not towing anything, and I have the wiring loom coiled in the boot so there are no holes in the bumper etc.
    From memory, the bar has a rated capacity of 700kg with a ball weight of 80kg.
    I've towed far more than that on occasion!! Recently I've towed a trailer with 1.2 tonnes of landfill in it. I've towed a flat bed trailer with a commodore on it (1.6 tonnes) and yes I've towed a boat.
    Be very careful when you launch your boat, the lude being a front wheel drive and all - you may not get back up the ramp!! Also, if you've lowered the car you're going to have trouble getting far enough into the water to launch a boat.
    Oh, my lude at the time was stock standard S model (soft springs and F22a SOHC motor) and it handled the boat just fine when on the road. I actually drag-raced my brother's VK Calais from a set of lights in Bris CBD while towing the boat and very nearly beat him!
    pretty sure he wasnt trying, or by nearly u mean 10 car lengths lol

Generation
    4th Gen
    Model
    VTiR
    the main issue with towing is the brakes.
    you are basically turning your 1300kg car into a 2300kg + car and you are still using 4 standard brakes to stop this 2300kg mass and it will change the brake distribution alot.
    Imagine an imaginary menagerie manager imagining managing an imaginary menagerie.

Indicating when no one is around is like talking to yourself
    I dunno where the u came from, probably the "U" key on the keyboard but im skeptical

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4ws
    Thinking about add a towbar to my 4th gen, only place I find it is this:
    http://www.towright.co.nz/towbar-21040.aspx
    is the 4th gen same as CB9 accord? as listed

Generation
    3rd Gen
    Model
    Si 4WS - B Spec
    There is also the Hayman Reece.